Yamaha electroic violins...some questions

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
MarkB

Yamaha electroic violins...some questions

Post by MarkB »

Has anybody here ever owned and played a Yamaha electronic violin?

This one:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Con ... 00,00.html

I am thinking of purchasing one, rather than a traditional fiddle, the reason being that I live in a condo and even with a mute on a traditional fiddle, with the windows open it is quite disturbing for the neighbours to listen to.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Karina
antispam: No

Post by Karina »

Hi Mark!

Well, I have a Zeta, so I haven't tried the Yamaha. But I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them, and actually considered getting one myself. As far as electrics and the volume go, it could be really great for learning quietly. Assuming it plays similarly to the way mine plays, it is just like playing an acoustic (as far as feel, not sound). So your technique learning shouldn't be changed, particularly. Now one thing that will vary with the models is how smooth or jazzy sounding they are. Some smooth the sound more than others, and those won't allow you the same amount of character that you can get out of an acoustic because you can't get the same bowing sounds--it smooths away a lot of the attack and scratch and crunch that you sometimes want when playing trad. I have absolutely no idea how the Yamaha plays in that matter. You can check out www.zetamusic.com for some sound clips that have different models of electrics playing the same clips, and you'll get an idea for what I mean as far as sound variation and character.

Before I get too terribly far off rambling: you probably won't be able to get the same amount of character out of the electric as you would an acoustic, but it's still a great learning tool. If you have to choose between learning at all and learning on an electric, I'd say go for it, but nothing beats a real acoustic, in my opinion--especially when you want to play somewhere that amplification is an issue (i.e. sessions, private gigs like weddings, etc.).

As for the Yamaha itself, the added onboard preamp is a great feature that allows you to just plug in headphones and play--but don't let that determine your purchase to this model, as you can buy gadgets that do the same thing--they'll plug into any 1/4" jack and you stick your headphones in them. They can also allow you to play along with cds, which is kinda cool.

And as a last note (I'm shutting up now, I promise), you can still hear unamplified electrics quite well enough for practice purposes on their own, without any amplification at all. Mine sounds rather like an old radio, to me. But it's not unpleasant.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hi Karina and thank you!

Elderly music is selling the Yamaha silent violin 120 series for $575 US down from 875, a good entry level price. I know it won't sound like an acoustic fiddle, but since I will be spending more time in my place in learning it and practicing, I don't really want to upset my good neighbours who have spent the last four years with my flute shnanigans.

MarkB
emmline

Post by emmline »

These things really intrigue me. What are some reasons a fiddler might play an electric vs. acoustic other than volume control for practice?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

A good question Em, if I go ahead with this idea, I know that as I said above, I will be spending more time practicing than doing any performance or session for at least two years or so, I'm not one to rush out with one tune in my belt. One fiddler I know has both accoustic and electronic and uses both depending on what her band is playing in a set. If it is a slow set (waltzes, airs or song types) she uses the fiddle, if it is something of a speed set or a for a lack of knowing what to call it, a celtic fusion thingy, she uses the electronic both each with and for their own sound and nuances.

MarkB
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

emmline wrote:These things really intrigue me. What are some reasons a fiddler might play an electric vs. acoustic other than volume control for practice?
One reason may be to prevent the feedback that can occur with a miked fiddle in a very loud setting.

Another would be the advantage of being able to tweak your volume and tone on the fly with the knobs on your instrument.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
hpinson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by hpinson »

The Yamaha SV100 is without doubt one of the worst electric violins that i have experienced-- and I've owned and played many, since Barcus Berry days., including this one.

The Yamaha SV100 violin, when amplified, is quite thin and nasal sounding, relying on internal preamplification and reverb to get any thickness to the tone. The integrated preamp battery life is very short (about 2-4 hours), and it is easy to leave the preamp switched on, burning out the battery overnight. The 1/4 output jack is flimsy to say the least. One good knock and it is history. Since the jack and preamp body are cased in molded plastic, repair is difficult.

However, it is a nice violin to play-- ergnomically it feels quite good, though the neck has a cheap feel to it.

Not bad as a quiet practice fiddle, but that's about it.

If you decide to purchase this, buy on ebay, as there are many used but good condition ones there. A fair price used is $275-$375 used.

The newer SV200 is quite a bit better sounding, and worth the extra $$$.

A Miesel E-Fusion Electric Violin is a pretty good inexpensive alternative EV. It has a fuller tone when amplified. For practicing, it sounds like a muted violin, certainly not as queit as a stick voilin though.

Here is a link, http://www.electricviolinshop.com/cw_de ... category=6

>> Reason for an electric
Feedback control in an amplified environment is one reason. Control and modification of tone output is another, a good EV can really be shaped through amplification, and midi interface to synths. The Electric Violin is an instrument that stands on its own, and has a whole specialized technique and sound very different from acoustic violin. Listen to 1970's era Jean Luc Ponty, Jerry Goodman with Mahavishnu Orchestra, or Mark Wood for examples.

Good luck, and I really hope you don't choose an SV100, for practice or otherwise.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

emmline wrote:These things really intrigue me. What are some reasons a fiddler might play an electric vs. acoustic other than volume control for practice?
The desire to communicate with wasps?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Hello Mark,

You can buy a Chinese electronic violin for less than $100. I owned one, played it for awhile, and then sold it. I think that they are fun to experiment with, although they hardly take the place of an acoustic fiddle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-4-Electric-Studen ... dZViewItem

I prefer playing an acoustic violin, but volume issues are not a problem for me as they are for you. Did you ever try a hard rubber practice mute for your acoustic violin? They reduce the volume so much that I can't imagine that you would disturb the neighbors.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Effects pedals. :)

Don't buy a Stagg, there's a reason they're cheap (and apart from that, the action is terrible).
Last edited by GaryKelly on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

There are other things you can do to mute an accoustic fiddle as well as or instead of a rubber mute. A duster or soft cloth tied around the body over the F holes will mute a lot, and a couple of clothes pegs on the bridge work a treat.

You can also get metal mutes, which dampen the bridge vibration even more than the rubber ones, but just be careful to fit it properly on the bridge or it might fall off and scratch the body. Also, be sure to take anything off the bridge before putting the fiddle back in the case...
Karina

Post by Karina »

GaryKelly wrote:
Effects pedals. :)
Hehe...while I definitely prefer "hard core" Irish trad myself (I have my electric for playing at church and with a band, not for trad), I have to admit...Jenny's Chickens with distortion cranked is a trip! :D
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

No personal experience with these but I had heard that the 100 had problems with the sound, hum or something like that. But the 120, the one that's on sale at elderly I think has dealt with that problem. ---If you look at the model numbers/letters though you'll see there is an electric series (EV) and the silent series (SV) The 120 mentioned is an SV and the 220 is the EV. I'm not sure if there's a difference between these 2 although a year or so ago both were listed on the same page on the Yamaha site but now I just see the EV series.