europeans

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bob baksi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bob baksi »

language may be a barrier to active participation, particularly keeping in mind the difficulties endured by some non-english persons who previously attempted to participate on the C&F Board

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bob baksi on 2002-08-19 14:00 ]</font>
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I am an American. My great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather came to America from Scotland, though, which is on an island off the coast of Europe. Yes, that is the correct amount of greats.
Reasonable person
Walden
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

I think I know for a fact that the reasons there's less Europeans on the board is because internet use is much lower in Europe. It's very expensive in Europe, and flat-rate internet fees is just beginning to start in many countries. In Paris they have cable-modem but they're losing loads of money because people just won't use the product, and in Germany when you've got an ISDN connection you're "lucky" (in the country side anyway) and pay a by the minute fees. One of the worse countries is actually Ireland, ADSL is getting there slowly, very slowly, and cable modem is available only in Dublin west. Also, ADSL for 150$US/Month, who can really afford? I don't know about Spain and Italy and Portugal, I'm sure it's even worse. Oh well, the internet was part of my frustration when I was in Ireland, but things will improve within a year, so expect to see many more Europeans showing up...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks for education. I had no idea that Europeans had these obstacles to accessing the "free" World Wide Web.....
I wondered why there weren't more Irish on this Forum.....

Think of the wars, I mean intelligent discussions, we would have here with more folks' diverse opinions!!!!!!!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-19 13:56, bob baksi wrote:
language may be a barrier to active participation, particularly keeping in mind the difficulties endured by some non-english persons who previously attempted to participate on the C&F Board
The problem with Europeans is not the language barrier. The problem is that they talk funny. Also, they never wash their hair, smoke all the time, and they don't think Ted Williams is worth freezing.
/Bloomfield
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Hi all!
Actually, I think that most European, and in particular Irish, musicians may just have more of a local support network - if I want advice on playing or purchasing, for example, I know that there're maybe 20 people that I can talk to in person... although I may just be lucky :smile:! But internet charges are an important factor...
Deirdre
Otter

Post by Otter »

On 2002-08-19 14:32, Bloomfield wrote:

The problem with Europeans is not the language barrier. The problem is that they talk funny. Also, they never wash their hair, smoke all the time, and they don't think Ted Williams is worth freezing.
Freezing Ted Williams? may be not but Freezing Jerry Lewis? no problem. "We french people just LOVE Jerry Lewis". A little dry and skinny may be but, hey, we eat snails right? it's all in the sauce!
O.
drdagmar

Post by drdagmar »

Hmmm, true is that I talk funny...and that I will never loose my terrible German accent :smile:, anyway, not true is that Germany is so poorly developed that you have to be lucky to get ISDN. But it is expensive ! Getting DSL and a Flat rate even more...and everything connected with communications and telephones is more expensive than in the US (as far as I know from my sister in law who lives in Dallas). Another fact may be that when the Europeans are at work they are not supposed to get online all the time but to work :smile:) My employees are definitely not allowed to go online on my telephone bill and I go into the www only if there is no work left to do. When I am at home I prefer doing other things like whistling, fluting, spending time with my daughter and my boyfriend and my dog and the garden and the washing and so on.....
All the best, Dagmar
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

I didn't want to make any difference between continents or people. The only reason I asked this questions was I wondered why there were so little European people around compared to the number of Americans. This means that it is a lot more difficult and expensive to purchase a used whistle or any other instrument for sale here on the board or on ebay. Most Americans won't even send there goods to Europe, and if they do it cost a lot of money on packing, postage and taxes.(not their fault of course)
Anyway, (celtic)music is the same anywhere, or should be.
regards to all nations,
Erik
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Hi Erik,
I'm definitely European and I do wash my hair (shut up, Bloomfield). Maybe there are fewer people using the internet here than in the US, also it is quite expensive. There are certainly also fewer people playing irish music than in America. And a lot of Europeans don't like to speak english, or just never learned it. And there are european forums, which might be more interesting for us.
- claudine -
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-19 17:03, claudine wrote:
Hi Erik,
I'm definitely European and I do wash my hair (shut up, Bloomfield)....
You have to admit this thread was getting a bit boring, ISDN and flat rates.... And, well, I *never* wash my hair.

Best,
Bloom "EuroPride" field
/Bloomfield
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

Bloomfield, if you are as good in whistling as in joking i denie you.
Curlyblue

Post by Curlyblue »

Well Sweetone,

I'm dutch and I know there are a few other dutchies and belgiums that are regulars browers :smile:
But you're right, you can feel pretty isolated and alone in this 'hobby that got out of hands' if it wasn't for this board.

But fortunately, most of Holland have access to broadband internet (hey I live in the IT capital of Europe!).

So exactly where I Belgium can I hear you play?

Take care,
Ilana

p.s. are you planning a european get-together..... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Curlyblue on 2002-08-19 17:34 ]</font>
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Well now....I've got a Swiss passport, but let me start from the "beginning", born in Sweden (Göteborg), moved to south. California two years later, after another six years moved to Switzerland and still living there (here). So there you are, am I a European? I mean, Switzerland is in Europe, but not part of the European Union, not yet anyway..
Oh yeah, one more thing, am half Swiss and half Indian.:wink:
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I moved from Ireland at 23. The Irish like to think of themselves as European, and DEFINITELY NOT British.