A note from Dale

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Loren wrote:Just about the only things that makes me lose my cool here these days are A) when I do extensive self editing to keep my posts civilized (often not posting at all to do so), only to have some other joker get away with taking digs (often quite sugar coated, but insults none the less), and getting away with, and B) When some people are allowed to consistently break or bend the rules that others consistently follow.
Attempting to draw the line as to what a poster can 'get away with' is a difficult matter and I, at times, leave what some might deem should be expunged. My thinking is that the posters here are, in the main, sufficiently canny to make up their own minds about who is being uncivil without aid from me and in fact should be allowed to see a certain amount of the conduct of some members for just that reason. Of course when things go beyond a point, action is necessary. Determining this point is the dodgy business.

Of course, make known what you see as unwelcome conduct as you feel the need but continue to 'keep your cool' thus serving as a good example of how a civil member of this board should behave rather then become agitated and joining in the fray because someone is 'getting away' with something.
Loren wrote:
Dale wrote: P.S. I think we are going to have to have new policy that says that moderators are not going to explain their actions to those who have been moderated. I'm not sure, but I suspect more of my time is taken up with dealing with the aftermath of moderator acts that the moderation proper. You know, "what happened to that thread?" That kind of thing. :)
You're prerogative, of course, however I suggest that at least some sort of pulic notice is given, so that folks know and understand where the boundaries are, since "civility" is not so easily codified in a FAQ.

Loren
I'm afraid the public notice might be the jumping off point for more woe.

As to the search for the boundaries... it continues.
Alan
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Dale wrote:.......
I think we are going to have to have new policy that says that moderators are not going to explain their actions to those who have been moderated. I'm not sure, but I suspect more of my time is taken up with dealing with the aftermath of moderator acts that the moderation proper.
Talasiga says,
The truth of an action lies in the explanation, without which the lie will attach to the action.

Explanation of saying :wink: :-
The world being what it is, it is better try and explain an action motivated by goodness even if the explanation itself becomes the subject of contention. Otherwise, the world being what it is, in the absence of the explanation, the action itself will become contentious, much more so than it would have been. That is to say, contention is better divided between the action and the explanation, than focussed on the action itself.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Oh my achin' head.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Oh, my aching liver!!!

mukade

Post by mukade »

Time for a buck-toothed dog pic.

Oh yes. Buck-toothed dog.

Mukade