It has arrived

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

It has arrived

Post by dow »

As you may know, several months ago, I started nosing around for information on Terry McGee's flutes, and the GLP in particular,
asking all kinds of questions, both on and off list, about embouchure, head designs, finger hole spacing, etc. Well, I ordered a flute
from Terry at the end of November, and it arrived on Tuesday. Here are the specs as I gave them to Terry:

And here is the beautiful result:

Thanks, Terry for the wonderful work. This is flute that I'll be proud to own and play.

Sorry that I don't have a more in depth review yet, but I seem to have lost the link to Gary's Review-O-Matic. :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
fearfaoin

Re: It has arrived

Post by fearfaoin »

I love how the tuning slide looks like uninterrupted wood.

And the grain almost seems to spiral down the flute!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nice looking flute. I like how clean and straightforward the design is (I suppose that is the reason for the head design). The third section (foot?) looks long without the extra vent holes.

Stupid question, what is the C nat hole good for? Can you use it for other notes or is it only good for C nat.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I'm guessing that's ironwood yes?

Very nice BTW. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I.D.10-t wrote:Stupid question, what is the C nat hole good for? Can you use it for other notes or is it only good for C nat.
Well, it's supposed to be very useful for passing phrases, such as b-c-d triplets, etc., but I'm not fast enough yet to really take advantage of that. Of more immediate help, for me at least, is that I now hold my left hand in a better position on the flute. Much less hand tension since I'm forced to have my thumb over the C hole. I am learning to use the hole, but even what little experience I have (since September, 05), makes the other c nat. fingerings more instinctive at this point. Ask me again in a couple of months. :)
Doc Jones wrote:I'm guessing that's ironwood yes?
OOPS! Yep, it's ironwood. I was surprised with the amount of flame in the wood. Kind of reminds me of some european birch pistol grips I saw a while back. BTW, the second picture, with the flute put together, is a better representation of the color of the wood. More brownish than reddish (teknikul turms there :D ).
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Nice looking Flute. The break in period is always hard. My Ironwood Hoza F doesn't have nice grain like that one, neither did the Bleazey Ironwood that I no longer have.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Cool! Let us know what you think after you've had it for a while. I've been thinking about getting the exact same flute, but in Blackwood...still saving up $$ right now. I'm also considering his Rudall Perfected model...

-Brett
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Dow,

Lovely piece of Cooktown Ironwood!!! :thumbsup:

Be careful, Terry says yer flute is a heavy drinker! :lol:
Last edited by Sillydill on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Nice flute. Funny thing, Dow, every time I look at one of your posts, I imagine I have ants crawling on my monitor.

Dana
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I.D.10-t wrote:Nice looking flute. I like how clean and straightforward the design is (I suppose that is the reason for the head design). The third section (foot?) looks long without the extra vent holes.

Stupid question, what is the C nat hole good for? Can you use it for other notes or is it only good for C nat.
I too have always wondered how Terry gets a longer piece of wood in the footjoint to sound right w/o the C and C# relic holes.

The Cnat hole improves the pitch of C# if you use it to event - at least in my understanding.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Looks like a nice flute, Dow! I like the nicely figured Ironwood, I didn't know that the Cookstown Ironwood come with such a nice grain.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Wormdiet wrote: I too have always wondered how Terry gets a longer piece of wood in the footjoint to sound right w/o the C and C# relic holes.
There really isn't any consensus on flutes sounding better with the C foot. We have makers such as Olwell and Hammy on the side of C feet. You have makers like Peter Noy making keyless flutes with a D foot. Casey Burns makes both, so I presume doesn't take sides. There were D flutes that were in tune with themselves and had solid low notes before there were C feet; I don't see why one would think that it's more difficult to make a good D flute without a C foot.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Wouldn't the Cn thumb hole provide all the same advantages as a Cn key? :-? What's the big mystery here?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
daiv

Post by daiv »

Congratulations wrote:Wouldn't the Cn thumb hole provide all the same advantages as a Cn key? :-? What's the big mystery here?
boehm style key, yes, but not a traditional key. the traditional key lies closed until pressed, which means a slower mechanism; compare the speed of the Ab, Eb, and trill keys on the modern boehm compared to all the other keys.

besides, why add a key, which is expensive and needs maintenance? a c natural thumb hole is cheaper, more effective, and worry free, especially on a keyless flute.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

chas wrote:
Wormdiet wrote: I too have always wondered how Terry gets a longer piece of wood in the footjoint to sound right w/o the C and C# relic holes.
There really isn't any consensus on flutes sounding better with the C foot. We have makers such as Olwell and Hammy on the side of C feet. You have makers like Peter Noy making keyless flutes with a D foot. Casey Burns makes both, so I presume doesn't take sides. There were D flutes that were in tune with themselves and had solid low notes before there were C feet; I don't see why one would think that it's more difficult to make a good D flute without a C foot.
I recently had two McGee Prattens here. One with a long C foot and one with the short foot. I swapped back and forth and both sounded terrific. I couldn't tell any difference. Results may vary with other makers but Terry seems to have overcome any "need" that may have existed for a long foot.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School