thewhistleshop.com experience...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

thewhistleshop.com experience...

Post by Trip- »

Hello everyone - it's a nice morning :)

I'd like to know about positive/negative experiences you guys had - I hope they are all positive though :)
I'm thinking of getting a whistle or 2 from them...

I've sent a huge mail msg to the shop I've mentioned and haven't got any response yet - 4 days allready. And anything like that is kinda alarming to me - about shopping over the internet. I hope I'm just being paranoic.

Thanks alot,
Philip
blackhawk
antispam: No

Re: thewhistleshop.com experience...

Post by blackhawk »

Trip- wrote:Hello everyone - it's a nice morning :)

I'd like to know about positive/negative experiences you guys had - I hope they are all positive though :)
I'm thinking of getting a whistle or 2 from them...

I've sent a huge mail msg to the shop I've mentioned and haven't got any response yet - 4 days allready. And anything like that is kinda alarming to me - about shopping over the internet. I hope I'm just being paranoic.

Thanks alot,
Philip
I've dealt with Thom many times over the years and he's always been a quality guy. My guess is that things just fell thru the cracks with your msg. He's trustworthy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Allrighty then ;)

I'll try again - thanks.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hi Trip-

I'm sure the whistle shop is working on it - keep in mind that they have been going for a while and have, most likely, collected a huge email audience that must get a considered level of attention!

In my experience, the good shops (and makers) will take the time rather than reduce the quality of their attention.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but it's important and not many people seem to know it, so I'm posting it again.

Email is, by design, not a guaranteed-delivery system. Even emails to good addresses sometimes just disappear. And it's made that way on purpose, and for a good reason.

Thom may have never gotten your email.

Emails, even to valid addresses, "fall off the wife" all the time. There are different reasons why they do--a server may be down or in an unstable state, for instance, or a critical link may be down.

The reason that it's designed this way is to prevent the disaster that one email with a bad address could cause. If it were guaranteed delivery, that one email would start bouncing around all over the place until the network was so busy trying to find that one bad address that it couldn't service anything else: a situation called a broadcast storm.

So if in doubt, don't rely on email. Call, or even post a letter.

By the way, I have ordered from Thom (thewhistleshop.com) many times. I have always found him to be safe, prompt, and accurate. I would order from him anytime.

--James
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Thom is normally a very quick answerer but sometimes besides what James wrote with emails getting lost, which actually does happen, it also can be as simple as that he could be/have been on holiday for a change or has been ill and then everything gets delayed. I am not sure but I believe he does it all mainly by himself with a little help from someone and that is not easy to cope with at times.

Brigitte ("rubbing my nose here heavily" as I am in the middle of a heavy email delay struggle :cry: )
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

peeplj wrote: Emails, even to valid addresses, "fall off the wife" all the time. There are different reasons why they do--a server may be down or in an unstable state, for instance, or a critical link may be down.

The reason that it's designed this way is to prevent the disaster that one email with a bad address could cause. If it were guaranteed delivery, that one email would start bouncing around all over the place until the network was so busy trying to find that one bad address that it couldn't service anything else: a situation called a broadcast storm.
actually, emails should never 'disappear'. the rfcs for email standards are pretty solid where they deal with managing the routing and accounting of messages. A well designed email system never loses a message, however the message may get dropped into a badmail directory due to malformed header info, authentication issues, filtering etc. Back in the day, before email viruses, we used to be able to effectively use delivery and read receipts on messages. Now most email clients make this difficult in order to 'protect' us from viruses that my take advantage of this process. Anti-Virus software for email servers has pretty much ended the mail storms of the past. Prior to spam and email viruses, sub-second email delivery was common.

BUT in the here and now, when in doubt, a phone call is still the best method...just wish there were a paper trail created...

Thom is pretty amazing at the whistle shop. He'll do right by you.
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

actually, emails should never 'disappear'. the rfcs for email standards are pretty solid where they deal with managing the routing and accounting of messages. A well designed email system never loses a message, however the message may get dropped into a badmail directory due to malformed header info, authentication issues, filtering etc.
Well, if you are saying email works well, I'll agree enthusiastically.

If you are saying email works well the vast majority of the time, I'll still agree, albeit less enthusiastically.

However, if you are saying that I am mistaken and that email is a guaranteed-delivery medium, I'll say "Please cite your source," because that's not true.

--James
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

A friend of mine where I used to work ordered a Meg from the whistle shop. 3 weeks went by and he hadn't gotten his whistle. I kept telling him "call Thom...he's a good guy, he'll tell you what's up".

The friend kept saying "Eh, it was $3.00..I'll get around to it" but never did.

I quit that job before I ever found out what happened to that whistle.

For what it's worth, Thom has always been quick to ship orders that I've personally made (90% of them using the standard order form online), and I've bought there seven or eight times, though it has been over a year since the last time I made an order.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hearty endorsement for Thom and The Whistleshop! I also have just sent an email via their website to a trusted merchant and haven't heard back (coincidentally 4 days also!) The best thing is to call, or write again.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The Whistle shop has an 800 number also. If you sent an order you should have a re. number. Call or send an e mail with the re. number as the subject.

If all you sent was an email, it may have gotten overlooked as spam. They receive a lot of it there.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I recently ordered something from a small internet costume shop that
I needed within a few weeks. I didn't get a shipping message for a
week, and got worried, so I emailed them. They called me that night
and explained that they had been at a convention during that week,
and had technological problems that prevented them from handling
orders effeciently. They then overnighted the item. So, I always try
to remember that some internet shops are not huge corporations,
they are often family businesses, maybe with a couple employees,
and they often have other things to do to promote their businesses.
Therefore, cut a little slack for small internet businesses, resend your
messages in case they were missed, and get the whole story before
going to the Better Business Bureau.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I've dealt with Tom happily through the years, but only once recently. I ordered an Overton which wasn't then in stock and forgot about it; six months later (his estimated date), I got an e-mail advising that the whistle had been reserved for me - I got it a few days later. Very dependable in my experience.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
IrishLass

Post by IrishLass »

I ordered something from them and had no trouble getting it in a timely manner. However, when I sent an e-mail to ask if it could be returned (just a few days after receiving it), I got no response. Ever. So, I guess if you like what you buy - no worries. Otherwise, if there is a possibility that you might want to return it, you may want to call in your order and ask questions first.

Carolyn
"Sing to the Lord a new song" Psalm 149:1
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

Ive bought both of my Dixons from The Whistle Shop, and both got to me quickly and in excellent shape. I'd highly recommend them.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."