housekeeping question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Just saw this totally useless bit of trivia:

Mar 28, 1797, Nathaniel Briggs patented the washing machine.
Charlene
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Charlene wrote:Just saw this totally useless bit of trivia:

March 29, 1797 -- First mom told her kids to take the crap out of their pockets before they put their pantaloons in the wash.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

gonzo914 wrote:

March 29, 1797 -- First mom told her kids to take the crap out of their pockets before they put their pantaloons in the wash.
You crapped in your pockets!!?? :boggle:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Tyler Morris wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:

That would be the second definition shown below --
Main Entry: 2crap
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English crappe chaff, residue from rendered fat, perhaps from Old French crappe chaff, residue, from Medieval Latin crappa
1 a usually vulgar : EXCREMENT b usually vulgar : the act of defecating
2 sometimes vulgar : NONSENSE, RUBBISH; also : STUFF 4b
And yellow fringe
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

gonzo914 wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
gonzo914 wrote: March 29, 1797 -- First mom told her kids to take the crap out of their pockets before they put their pantaloons in the wash.
That would be the second definition shown below --
Main Entry: 2crap
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English crappe chaff, residue from rendered fat, perhaps from Old French crappe chaff, residue, from Medieval Latin crappa
1 a usually vulgar : EXCREMENT b usually vulgar : the act of defecating
2 sometimes vulgar : NONSENSE, RUBBISH; also : STUFF 4b
One could hurt one's self if one tried to literally crap in one's pockets. But that is, literally, another topic.
And yellow fringe
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Do I have to provide domestic advice, too???? I am appalled at the lack of washing knowledge exhibited here!

You should allow the machine to fill at least half-way before adding clothing. Put the detergent in before you start, so that it will be dissolved.

Use Woolite for dark clothes to prevent your darks from getting faded-looking, which will happen when the whiteners cake up on it.

Dreft, Purex, and Ivory baby detergents do not normally give you a rash, but Dreft will strip the color slowly from your clothes.

All Free and Clear usually won't give you a rash, either, but the baby ones are best. If you need to use something for anti-static, try using hair conditioner.

Love,

One Very Clean, and Fluffy, Lamb
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote:Do I have to provide domestic advice, too???? I am appalled at the lack of washing knowledge exhibited here!

You should allow the machine to fill at least half-way before adding clothing. Put the detergent in before you start, so that it will be dissolved.

Love,

One Very Clean, and Fluffy, Lamb

See? Great minds think alike!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Lambchop wrote:You should allow the machine to fill at least half-way before adding clothing. Put the detergent in before you start, so that it will be dissolved.
Yes, several people have mentioned this now.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

avanutria wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
Lambchop wrote:You should allow the machine to fill at least half-way before adding clothing. Put the detergent in before you start, so that it will be dissolved.
Yes, several people have mentioned this now.
Who? :lol: :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

You're all so wise. Thanks! :)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Lambchop wrote:Do I have to provide domestic advice, too???? I am appalled at the lack of washing knowledge exhibited here!

I'd like to see you do that with a front-loader.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Innocent Bystander wrote:

The mechanism of a front-loader eliminates the need to do this. Still, if your powder isn't going to dissolve readily in your water, you need to pre-dissolve it or, better, use a liquid.

Oh, and I forgot to mention . . . use Woolite on fine washables to prevent shrinkage and (ick!) felting. Trust me on this . . . I know. :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:

The mechanism of a front-loader eliminates the need to do this. Still, if your powder isn't going to dissolve readily in your water, you need to pre-dissolve it or, better, use a liquid.

Oh, and I forgot to mention . . . use Woolite on fine washables to prevent shrinkage and (ick!) felting. Trust me on this . . . I know. :wink:
Not with this kind!

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Denny wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: I'd like to see you do that with a front-loader.

Not with this kind!

That never would have occurred to me . . .
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:Oh, and I forgot to mention . . . use Woolite on fine washables to prevent shrinkage and (ick!) felting. Trust me on this . . . I know. :wink:
Woolite prevents felting?? This is good to know...my daughter does a ton of knitting with wool yarn (she's actually quite good, but then again I'm very biased). She had made a beautiful sweater for her little brother out, which promptly got thrown into the washer by one of her other younger brothers (he's only 11 months younger than she is), and it felted so badly that the sweater is now unwearable. She was so upset. But there are times that she does felt on purpose. Oh, but anyway, I'll tell her about the Woolite.

sorry about that...I got off track again it seems
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.