Thinking about selling my Weasel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Thinking about selling my Weasel

Post by Wanderer »

This isn't really a sales pitch. This is more of me wanting to talk about an intellectual and emotional delimma.

I have a Thin Weasel in african blackwood in excellent condition. I heard that a cocobolo thin weasel recently went for close to $800 on Ebay a couple months ago, and I looked it up, and sure enough, it did.

That got me thinking, and I've been ambivalent about it ever since.

Pro: On the one hand, that's an incredible price. I'd like to think I could get at least $600 for mine.

Con: On the other hand, it's a Weasel. It plays superbly, is of a less-common wood than Glenn typically used, and it's not like I'll ever be able to get another one if I decide to let this one go.

Pro: But I know that there are a couple other whistles out ther I could get for that money and would really love, and still have plenty left over.

Con: I already know I like this whistle, and buying another whistle would be a gamble.

Pro: I'm less attached to whistles after 2000, when I practically had to sell every high end instrument I owned in order to make it through the tech industry slowdown in Houston. That same time period has given me an eye for incredible deals, and this appears to be one.

Con: I find myself becoming attached to certain whistles again, and this is one I return to regularly.

I keep flip flopping back and forth..the ambivalence is killing me!

So I guess it boils down to whether I decide the money I could get outweighs the attachment I have. I don't know if any of you guys have ever been in the same situation, and I'm not sure anyone could say anything to make the decision any easier. I just had to throw it out there because it's been gnawing at me.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Hmmm... Interesting problem you have there. I recommend a trial separation, just to see if you can make it without the Weasel. Send it to me in Boerne, and I'll keep an eye on it for you. :) It will be a great sacrifice on my part, but we all do what we must. :D

Serioiusly, you have a Thin Weasel, a whistle the likes of which I may never have an opportunity to experience, and the likes of which you may not see again if you let it go. If it were me, I'd hang on to it. While you're probably right and it will likely bring a pretty handy wad of cash, it's paid for now and costs you nothing to hang on to.

I guess I'm not much help am I. :-?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
slowair

Post by slowair »

Wanderer,

My financial situation right now is desperate. I've sold two of my three Native American flutes and I'm getting ready to post my third and last flute.
You don't know how many times I've thought about selling my blackwood Lon Dubh. I know I could easily get what I paid for it, probably more.
And even though I don't play it that often, it is the finest whistle I've ever played. Plus it came from Ireland, made by an Irishman.
I've often said it will go with me to the furnance when I die.
BUT...right now, selling it could feed me for a month. Or pay most of a month's rent. It could pay my car insurance.
Know what? I'm gonna hang onto it for as long as I can possibly do so.
And in my personal opinion, you should hang onto your Weasel. You know that the second you drop that baby in the mail to someone, you'll have instant seller's remorse. And you may never get another chance at one.
Keep it!
Mike
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I went through something similar when I sold my Tully.

The Tully was a great whistle, great voice, unique, and beautiful. And who knows for sure when Tully whistles will be made again? The other night I was thinking about writing the buyer just to ask how they were getting along with the whistle.

Here's the deal dude, our focus changes. I'm pretty sure I will never part with my Blackwood Thin Weasel in D, but I may part with a Water Weasel or the Blackwood in high G if I just really wanted another Overton, Copeland, or a Flute (if I could get may darn lips to work). And I wouldn't feel really bad knowing the new owner will appreciate the whistle as much as I did.

And you sir have started playing Flute. :twisted: Don't try to kid us - your not looking at a whistle to replace a Thin Weasel in D. The money you get for a Thin Weasel can go a long way towards a decent wood flute. :D

Like I said before, a wood whistle is like a puppy (except no poop). You take care of it, play with it, and get attached to it. If you decide to let it go, just find it a good home. I'll forgive you - and the new owner will be very pleased to have a rare gem of a whistle.

Absolution granted, :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

slowair wrote:...hang onto your Weasel.
Ummmm...
Can we say that in a family rated forum?
:oops:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Wanderer. . .think back....think back. . .I happen to know what sellers remorse is like. The first time you sold a well loved weasel you knew you could get another -- maybe not identical in quality but Glenn was still around to tweak and fiddle if he needed to.

If you MUST part with it, well, wouldn't it like to be with its brother???? (and no, I wouldn't pay $600 or more, but its the sentiment that counts, right?).

Meanwhile, I'm ready to sell the O'Riordan. I just need to get the pics and get it listed. It would be my first eBay sale. . .<sigh>
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
regor

Post by regor »

To me it's a simple issue. You sell the Tin Weasel and get money.... you look for something else, and miss having the Thin Weasel, but can't buy it back... and may never be able to get it back ever again... So it's not like it's easy to go back if you ever regret, if it was me, I would probably never get rid of it.... you can always get another maker's whistle, you may never be able to get another one like it... but then, if you don't play it... this whistle should be with someone who will... :boggle:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Thinking about selling my Weasel

Post by chas »

Wanderer wrote: I have a Thin Weasel in african blackwood in excellent condition. I heard that a cocobolo thin weasel recently went for close to $800 on Ebay a couple months ago, and I looked it up, and sure enough, it did.
On the other hand, one of Glenn's flutes, which listed for about $1000 new, just went for about 550. A couple of TW's have been sold on this board for less than list price.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

slowair wrote:Wanderer,

My financial situation right now is desperate. I've sold two of my three Native American flutes and I'm getting ready to post my third and last flute.
You don't know how many times I've thought about selling my blackwood Lon Dubh. I know I could easily get what I paid for it, probably more.
And even though I don't play it that often, it is the finest whistle I've ever played. Plus it came from Ireland, made by an Irishman.
I've often said it will go with me to the furnance when I die.
BUT...right now, selling it could feed me for a month. Or pay most of a month's rent. It could pay my car insurance.
Know what? I'm gonna hang onto it for as long as I can possibly do so.
And in my personal opinion, you should hang onto your Weasel. You know that the second you drop that baby in the mail to someone, you'll have instant seller's remorse. And you may never get another chance at one.
Keep it!
Mike
One month's rent or a load of groceries is a good thing, a neccessary thing, but a piece of incredible workmanship in the form of an excellent instrument is worth ever so much more in a life.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

This is a seriously tough question.

Here is what makes the most sense to me. You may never get another whistle like this one. I am sure you have others that could go and be bought again later. Yes, you may not make as much money selling other Whistles, but the item you have is priceless. My WW Eb is a Whistle that will never go, in fact, I bought (well traded a Syn full set for) it after Glenn passed away.

Personally, I don't get attached to Whistles and Flutes any more. I have bought and sold too many. This one (if I had it) I would keep it because of its rarity, especially if I liked it. This is the type of Whistle to hold onto. There is a reason you are becoming attached to this Whistle.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

The best reason to sell a fine instrument is so that it will be played by someone if you don't, or can't play it anymore. Selling one for money alone is a shame (I too speak from experiance).

Thin Weasel's are beautiful instruments and are now collectors items. 10 years from now you won't remember what happened to the 600 bucks you might get for it if you sell it. On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that you'll still be happy to have it if you decide to keep it. It's not worth it. Tighten your belt and keep the whistle.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think I have to add my voice to the "keep the whistle" side.

The real value of that whistle is priceless, because it can never be replaced.

Keep it and play it and honor the memory of the hands and mind that crafted it.

--James
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

dfernandez77 wrote:I went through something similar when I sold my Tully.

The Tully was a great whistle, great voice, unique, and beautiful. And who knows for sure when Tully whistles will be made again? The other night I was thinking about writing the buyer just to ask how they were getting along with the whistle.

Here's the deal dude, our focus changes. I'm pretty sure I will never part with my Blackwood Thin Weasel in D, but I may part with a Water Weasel or the Blackwood in high G if I just really wanted another Overton, Copeland, or a Flute (if I could get may darn lips to work). And I wouldn't feel really bad knowing the new owner will appreciate the whistle as much as I did.

And you sir have started playing Flute. :twisted: Don't try to kid us - your not looking at a whistle to replace a Thin Weasel in D. The money you get for a Thin Weasel can go a long way towards a decent wood flute. :D

Like I said before, a wood whistle is like a puppy (except no poop). You take care of it, play with it, and get attached to it. If you decide to let it go, just find it a good home. I'll forgive you - and the new owner will be very pleased to have a rare gem of a whistle.

Absolution granted, :)
I really wanted the Tully. I think I was the second highest bidder. I was on the list when Tully stopped making them for awhile. I did buy the narrow bore Burke from you and it is my favorite whistle. I could have bought it for the buy it now price of $100 but thinking it might go cheaper I slowly bid it to $128. Still a good deal though. I bid considerably more on the Tully than they cost new but someone else wanted it more than me or had deeper pockets. I still hope to find one someday. :)
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Money is fleeting, but the whistle lasts a lifetime.

I'm a newbie to whistles, but have had a similar issue with sportkites. I have a fairly high-end kite. I got it in the first batch of them to come over from France, and in a rare color. I think only five of this color came to the US.

I don't fly it that often, so the thought of selling it has crossed my mind. However, I'd have a very hard time replacing it. It's still being made, but not many come to the US.

Basically if I sold it, I'd have a few hundred dollars that would probably disappear pretty quickly - and I'd probably never be able to get that kite again. So, even if I don't fly it much, I plan to hang on to it.

There's also the idea of putting it into someone's hands who'll use it more than me, and get more enjoyment out of it. I understand this, but am still keeping it.

Sorry that was so long. Point is, I can relate to a degree, and I've kept my kite. :)

Jason
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Experience speaking here: If you part with an instrument you love, you'll kick yourself for the rest of your life. It is SO hard to find an equivalent to a good instrument, and another reason to hang onto it is that you will probably not be able to find another like it. If you get another whistle you like better, so be it. Otherwise, I'd keep it.
Cheers, Dave