Susato thumbrests...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Susato thumbrests...

Post by Trip- »

I've searched the forum and haven't really found a discussion on this one:
There's a thumbrest on my Low D... Now I haven't really played without it - ever, but I'm starting to think that I should -
Seems my thumb lower joints begin to sore after doing many fast rolls.

For a long time the tumbrest was under my right thumb, lately I've pushed it up to my left thumb, because of the horrible pain. And even then that thumb also started to sore :cry:

Anyone who's using thumbrests here? Or maybe it's advisable to just take it off? And why does the thumb hurt - maybe something is wrong with the placement of it ...
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I took it off about ten minutes after I got my first Susato whistle. They're kind of a solution in search of a problem.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I wouldn't blame the thumbrest for the pain, Trip, but if it doesn't help you play, just remove it -- no big deal. Some people like a little support there especially with the low D's, but I thought it got in the way and got rid of mine.

Sincerely,
Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

gonzo914 wrote:I took it off about ten minutes after I got my first Susato whistle. They're kind of a solution in search of a problem.
That's my experience.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I wouldn't have thought a thumb rest in itself could be responsible for horrible thumb pain but who knows---maybe it is causing you to hold your thumb funny. Did it just start when you started doing "many fast rolls"? Then maybe that is where the problem is. If you continue to have the horrible pain without the thumb rest and when you don't do many fast rolls, then you must do something about that. You should not be having pain when you play an instrument. It could worsen and you will not be able to play at all or you will have to lay off for a long time. I am speaking from experience.

If the pain goes away, here are some exercises you can do to warm up and to take breaks during your practice:
http://www.mindspring.com/~shin-on/handcare.html These exercises aren't for injured fingers---they might make the injury worse!!!

I myself would stop regular practicing at this point and concentrate on how you are holding the whistle. Are you gripping it tightly? Are your shoulders tense? You just want to be touching that whistle as lightly as possible. When you put your fingers on the holes, you just want to cover them so the air can't leak out. You don't want to be pressing down. If the note sounds bad, DO NOT press harder. Move your finger until it is in the correct position. Pressing harder works because it makes your finger fatter and you can cover the hole more easily. But it causes TENSION in your fingers which can cause injury and also will prevent you from moving your fingers quickly. The whistle should just be resting lightly on your thumbs. Don't be tensing up your thumbs with the thought that the whistle might slip. If you get pain when practicing rolls, then you have to change what you are doing. Maybe you are doing too many at a sitting. Maybe you are tensing up. I don't know. But you cannot play with horrible pain in your thumb. You can solve the problem once you have gotten rid of the pain.

This is a good little article about becoming aware of the tension in your body when you are playing an instrument:
http://galaris.com/modules.php?op=modlo ... =0&thold=0
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Cynth may be on to something in that last paragraph. This really sound like a case of Death Grip to me. You may be squeezing tightly while doing the rolls, I know I have done that before. What notes were you rolling when your thumb became sore?
preacher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

I use them on my lower key whistles - G on down to D. Even bought some extras to put on my non-Susatos(hope I haven't broken some whistle code of ettiquete) . I find it lessens fatigue for me. It might be from playing sax but they really work well for me. Did I mention that I have some artristis?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

preacher wrote:I use them on my lower key whistles - G on down to D. Even bought some extras to put on my non-Susatos(hope I haven't broken some whistle code of ettiquete) . I find it lessens fatigue for me. It might be from playing sax but they really work well for me. Did I mention that I have some artristis?
If something worked well for me I would use it. You know the title of the book by Richard Feynman? What do you care what other people think? There's no way a thumb rest could inconvenience anyone else. If someone thinks it's funny, so what? :lol: Let 'em have a giggle. Practice hard and you'll have the last laugh.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

In terms of low-whistle geekdom, I go one step beyond thumbrests: neckstraps. I'll do just about anything to get rid of hand tension when playing, partly from years of playing a very heavy old blackwood clarinet. I just take a loop of leather string, make a girth hitch around the whistle between the third and fourth holes, and hang it around my neck. Handy for doubling, too.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

mmm some interesting points folks...

I must say that leather string around the neck thing sounds like indeed the last word from the low whistle geekdom :) But who knows maybe I'll need to :oops:

@Cynth

Mate, thanks for the good and important tips. To make a few points on the topic, my right thumb began to sore basicly with the thumbrest (I never had the thumbrest off) - when I moved the thumbrest up the whistle to my left thumb, the right thumb clearly started to sore much less, but every now and then it still sores sometimes.
With the thumbrest on my left thumb, now this one started to sore, esspecially when playing alot of A and B rolls or playing B->C->D notes up and down quickly. I'm also managing to tap the C note using the right hand - which kinda brings tension, since it's not regularly I use that 'trick'.

I must admit, tension is allways there with unknown tunes, with unknown finger moves - unlike with the known ones which are allready in the subconscious mind kinda.

Either I'm too tenesed, either i've put the thumbrest on some wrong place for the thumb - at first any place for the thumb feels ok - but it's the 15 minutes of playing that starts revealing the pain.
Or maybe it's both tension and thumbrest combined into a horrible outcome.

One last thing, there are times I play for an hour - and I don't really feel any pain - but when I put down the whistle - I feel like all my fingers and arms are covered in gypsum (having a cast). So I try to squeeze my hands into fists to ease the feeling. I really enjoy my low whistle, but I'd hate it to hurt my hand joints.
Butterfly

Re: Susato thumbrests...

Post by Butterfly »

Trip- wrote:
For a long time the tumbrest was under my right thumb, lately I've pushed it up to my left thumb, because of the horrible pain.
I always thought that thumbrests were there to prevent the whistle from falling, so shouldn't it be above your thumb?
:) Rini
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

For those who have had thumb pain where in the finger is it located? I also have arthritis and have had one joint fusion done (on my righti ndex finger which makes playing some runs fast kinda tricky). My pain is in the knuckle closest to my wrist..the joint is clearly enlarged. :(
After too many years with clarinets I have a callus where the thumb rest used to lie. I find that even though I don't have thumb rests on either my recorders (including the tenor) or whistles I hold the instruments with them resting against the callus and my thumb at a slight angle to balance them there.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I usually would as soon not use the thumbrest, though on clarinet it was a nice thing to have. I think one of the things is, a clarinet is generally heavier than even a low Susato.
Reasonable person
Walden
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Walden wrote:I usually would as soon not use the thumbrest, though on clarinet it was a nice thing to have. I think one of the things is, a clarinet is generally heavier than even a low Susato.
True.

Even on the low D susato, I just slide the thumbrest down to the end of the whistle.

--James
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

The only useful thing the thumb rests on my Susatos do is to prevent them from rolling off the coffee table.

:)