Death by OAK???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Another option for owners of poisonous Oaks is to replace the head. I have a very old Oak whose mouthpiece was all chewed up by a previous owner. I put on a LBW head that I ordered from the Whistle Shop and it works great, or at least as well as it ever has. It still has that nice Oak tone.
Mike
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

I was graciously sent a replacement as well but the second one was worse than the first. I was wondering if I could find a couple of fipples to replace the nasty tasting ones - any suggestions?

[edit]: I hadn't read the above post, that helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paul Reid on 2002-08-15 18:50 ]</font>
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

This is strange. I love Oaks, but I never thought about my lips when they got this funny feeling. I just figured it was the type of plastic, because the sensation felt familiar. And now that I'm thinking about it, it seems that I got the same sensation from putting my mouth on those old resin figurines from my childhood. (Don't ask why I was putting them up to my mouth.) I bet it's the same material.

I'm editing to ask if they will send me a couple of freebies, too, or do I have to write?

JP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnPalmer on 2002-08-16 00:15 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-16 00:12, JohnPalmer wrote:
This is strange. I love Oaks, but I never thought about my lips when they got this funny feeling. I just figured it was the type of plastic, because the sensation felt familiar. And now that I'm thinking about it, it seems that I got the same sensation from putting my mouth on those old resin figurines from my childhood. (Don't ask why I was putting them up to my mouth.) I bet it's the same material.

I'm editing to ask if they will send me a couple of freebies, too, or do I have to write?

JP
You have to email them, John, and tell them how bad the ones are that you have, and that you heard they were replacing the defective ones.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

And the email address is on page one of this thread.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I've got an Oak that I play quite often, and I've never had any of the problems you people describe.

And I'm one of those people who is allergic to EVERYTHING.

Go figure...
Gary

Post by Gary »

Stopped by a music store during my lunch break. They had Acorns (Oak) and I tried a lovely natural brass one. It played well and sounded good.

One and 1/2 hours later, I can still taste the plastic on my lips. If they changed the plastic formula on these things they would have a winner of a whistle.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that formaldehyde (sp?) is used in the manufacture of some plastics. I wonder if that's what you folks are experiencing?
<p>I do know that formaldehyde will cause some numbness as some old mountain men used to soak their feet in a very dilute solution to reduce sweating -- including my father. Dad said it made his feet numb and tingly for a while but at least his boots weren't rotting off his feet when he was hiking in the desert.
<p>Hmmm, I sure hope no one was reading this while eating dinner...<g>
<p>
John
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

I didn't play my Oak much, but loved the sound when I moved the fipple to the Doolin 2-piece. Played that for a while today and got the lip tingles. Have they said anything yet about what's causing this?

Tery
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

If you write and ask them, they just write back and ask for your address so they can send you a replacement. They pretend they didn't hear any questions of the cause.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blackhawk on 2002-08-18 09:20 ]</font>
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

From what I've seen here, it appears that the replacements aren't any better than the originals. I was hoping they'd figured it out, so if I get a new one it will be useable :smile:.

Tery
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-18 12:42, tkelly wrote:
From what I've seen here, it appears that the replacements aren't any better than the originals. I was hoping they'd figured it out, so if I get a new one it will be useable :smile:.

Tery
Actually, Tery, the Acorn I got as a replacement is just about the perfect cheap whistle (no, not as good as an O'Briain), and it doesn't burn my lips like the first one. So it's worth a try.
Elkcreek

Post by Elkcreek »

I made a case for one of my Low D whistles out of bubinga. There was a lot of dust created by the router and belt sander that fell on my sandal clad feet. Later that night my feet swelled up and itched like crazy. The stuff will get you.

John