My first time...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Perhaps some uilleann pipers can confirm that it is similar with flat sets in terms of demanding less pressure than concert pitch. I believe I read this in an interview with Ronan Browne.

All this talk about Bb flutes, I need to go mop the drool off of my keyboard.

Cheers,
Aaron
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by seisflutes »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Perhaps some uilleann pipers can confirm that it is similar with flat sets in terms of demanding less pressure than concert pitch. I believe I read this in an interview with Ronan Browne.
Confirmed. :)
Talk about drool!
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Couldn't stand it, so I dove into the PVC and bamboo pile. Time to go BIG.

After some barely playable failures, I ended up with an Eb bansuri (Bb tonic) from a very conical chunk of Tonkin cane. It's certainly not a professional instrument, but it was fun. I tweaked the hole layout on Flutomat, and cut an embouchure that is a bit smaller than I usually use. It's only good up to A (F) in the second octave, but it takes a reasonable amount of air and 'woofs' the low notes well. The Rights of Man set sounds downright spooky.

I still can't wait to get my hands on a real one. The McGee Siccama Bb looks fun.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.