Coming out of the closet - now have an M&E

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Coming out of the closet - now have an M&E

Post by Jayhawk »

I just thought I'd share that I recently traded all my flutes (yep, both of them) for the 6 key M&E R&R model that Doc had for sale over at the Irish Flute Store.

Now before Gary starts dusting off his soap box, this is more of a "gloat" like Dana posted than a review.

I really like this flute - it combines the bigger embouchure like my sweet had, with the easy care of a polymer flute (I am simply too lazy and paranoid about wood), and has two more keys than I had before. For me, the darn thing is ideal.

Someone on this board recently described an M&E as a "right ugly blighter, but they play wonderfully" - or something close to that, and that describes my flute to a "T". Big clunky keys (but well placed and they work well), rough inner tone holes (but nicely cut embouchure and bore), and it sounds simply great.

I'm think I'm going to name it Bubba...

Eric
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

An excellent name. Mine is "polly" for obvious reasons.

How do the weight and ergonomics compare to your other flutes?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Well given that you are "comming out of the closet" I'd suppose calling your flute "Bubba" would be in keeping... :twisted:

Ya do know, Eric, that Dale prefers to keep this kinda thing a bit on the quiet side. (TMI)

congrats! :lol:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

"Bubba", that cracks me up dude :lol:

Glad to hear you found a flute that does what you need, uh, so to speak.

Loren
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

How do the weight and ergonomics compare to your other flutes?
Well, no scientific measurement here since I don't have either flute anymore, but it's heavier than any other wood/polymer flute I've owned (Seerys are just lighter than M&Es - likely the shorter partial slide, and the Sweet didn't have a slide). I did have an old 8 key with a silver wrapped headjoint that probably was similar in weight. Still, it's not so heavy it bothers me. I think James once weighed a keyless and ringless M&E R&R against his Seery, and his keyed original M&E - I'd guess my M&E weighs about what James' keyed one does. I've now played it in two sessions, for 2+ hours time, and I didn't have a problem with the weight (the thought it was heavy never really crossed my mind).

Ergonomically, the keys are great - easy for me to reach - but a lot of that depends on your grip. My session mate claimed the short F was poorly placed, and for his piperish right hand grip it was (he plays a 5 key Williams - no short F), but for me it's fine. I also like the split middle section which allows for rotation if I so desire (although I'm playing with them aligned so this is more of a theoretical "like").

Eric
Henke

Post by Henke »

Of course, I already knew about this since I've apperantly gained some sort of M&E-Guru status recently :P

But once again, I'd like to welcome Eric into the wonderful world of rough and chubby flutes.

One day, I may come out of the closet as well and buy one of those fancy flutes that look like a piece of art. Jon C's flute looked really good, and it played like a dream as well. It spoke to me in a way that few other flutes have. I'll probably buy one of those when he has his key design sorted out. But right now, the M&E is all I really need.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Henke wrote:Of course, I already knew about this since I've apperantly gained some sort of M&E-Guru status recently :P

But once again, I'd like to welcome Eric into the wonderful world of rough and chubby flutes.

One day, I may come out of the closet as well and buy one of those fancy flutes that look like a piece of art. Jon C's flute looked really good, and it played like a dream as well. It spoke to me in a way that few other flutes have. I'll probably buy one of those when he has his key design sorted out. But right now, the M&E is all I really need.
I enjoy going back and forth between the M&E and Jon's flute, especially since they are comparable flutes.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Henke wrote: But once again, I'd like to welcome Eric into the wonderful world of rough and chubby flutes.
:lol:

Good call M&E Guru Henke! Excellent description. Bubba works!

I just can't get over Eric not having a Seery anymore! Eric-having any Seery withdrawal symptoms? :wink:

We all need a change now and then I guess-I just did the opposite. At first I thought I would sell my Seery too, but since I have a Burns Rudall now, the Seery seemed a nice contrast to it, so I ended up selling my M&E instead.

I take solace in the fact that sometime when I have some more cash, I'll probably pick up another M&E, probably the Rudall model next time around, or maybe a JonC, or a Ward-who knows? I do know that the M&E was a heck of a flute!
~~~~
Barry
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Barry - I am having a bit of a hard time adjusting to not having a Seery. I still think the Seery is a very good flute, and it's definitely a more polished/finished flute. But for quality of sound, I can't say either is better (the Seery or M&E) - I still, not surprisingly, sound more like myself playing than anything else.

The keys though, all 6 of them, are helping me overcome any Seery-deficiency issues...you can't beat Michael's price for keys.

Eric
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My Hamilton is the best flute made, and it's the one I use for sessions and playing in public the majority of the time.

However, there is a reason I still have my M&E and Seery flutes, just like there's a reason I still have my old German 8-key.

Also, there is a particular kind of sound that I can get on my M&E that I just can't get (maybe I should put the word "yet" here) on my Hamilton, a sound that blends well with recorders and is useful for other kinds of music than Irish.

Here's my 6-key M&E in a duet with a recorder, demonstrating:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/flute_rec_duet.mp3

--James
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

peeplj wrote:...Here's my 6-key M&E in a duet with a recorder, demonstrating:

--James
Very nice James. I've always liked that piece, although I've never known the name of it.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

peeplj wrote:My Hamilton is the best flute made,
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

dow wrote:
peeplj wrote:...Here's my 6-key M&E in a duet with a recorder, demonstrating:

--James
Very nice James. I've always liked that piece, although I've never known the name of it.
That's the Adagio from the Loeillet Sonata No. 1.

It's a personal favorite.

--James
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

GaryKelly wrote:
But does it handle like a hippopotamus on rails? :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

GaryKelly wrote:
I should have added the words "in my opinion"...sorry bout that, fingers were typing faster than brain can think.

---James