low whistles..Dilemma solved

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cutterpup
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

low whistles..Dilemma solved

Post by cutterpup »

Okay folks..I started the thread earlier this week concerning low whistles, keys etc. I received a lot of advice on that thread and one thing leading to another when it came my chance to pick my winning whistle I decided to go with the low G rather one of the remaining low D's. :D That dilemma has been solved.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

After having thought about it more, you are probably making a wise choice. I like my low D, but in "real life" play my low G probably ten times as often.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Good choice. What make?
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

Adrian wrote:Good choice. What make?
Actually it is my winning raffle ticket whistle..the brass low-G from Mack Hoover. Now my Hoover brass high D will have a big brother.
Judy
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

I find there is an effervescent quality to the Alto G that seems stayed in the lower D key. Not only do the airs I play have a wider presence but when chasing quicker melodies a more direct sound seems to radiate.
The low D has wonderful qualities but for my writing purposes I find Alto G to touch emotions that the low D can't even find...
I should also add that I write ambient Christian worship music and I don’t enter into the realms of Celtic/Irish traditionalist type music whatsoever, though it is dear to me. I have discovered as I write and play for my “audience of one”, my Father and Creator in Heaven that it is in G where I feel a true expression of “love from a distance”; the kind of love that one may have as a soldier who is away at war and messaging his family whom he more that anything desires to see.

WTA
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

William T. Anderson wrote: I have discovered as I write and play for my “audience of one”, my Father and Creator in Heaven that it is in G where I feel a true expression of “love from a distance”
G = God's key? Kewl! 8)

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

BrassBlower wrote:
G = God's key? Kewl! 8)
No no, G is the People's Key.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

No, No, No..you will not hijack my thread with talk of politics and/or religion
otherwise I shall call a curse down upon your heads :twisted:
Judy and The Cutterpup
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Yup, yup! :wink:

"G" is for "Dandy!".... um....

Ok then. "G" is for "Grand!" - just like my Water Weasel in G.

It's a good choice. I like G best for "Spanish Lady."
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

cutterpup wrote:No, No, No..you will not hijack my thread with talk of politics and/or religion
otherwise I shall call a curse down upon your heads :twisted:
:o :lol:

-Galileo
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

William T. Anderson wrote:I find there is an effervescent quality to the Alto G that seems stayed in the lower D key. Not only do the airs I play have a wider presence but when chasing quicker melodies a more direct sound seems to radiate.
The low D has wonderful qualities but for my writing purposes I find Alto G to touch emotions that the low D can't even find...
I should also add that I write ambient Christian worship music and I don’t enter into the realms of Celtic/Irish traditionalist type music whatsoever, though it is dear to me. I have discovered as I write and play for my “audience of one”, my Father and Creator in Heaven that it is in G where I feel a true expression of “love from a distance”; the kind of love that one may have as a soldier who is away at war and messaging his family whom he more that anything desires to see.

WTA
What a sublime position to be in.
Do me a favour and resist the temptation to become a hoary old session musician who turns up at studios to find "music" written in any key known to humankind and often in keys yet to be discovered.
I envy you your freedom.
That Scottish Git.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

For what it's worth , I have three whistles in that key and play them all far more often than any of my lower whistles. :)

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

I never followed any of the threads (if there were any) about how screen names were chosen. I was wondering, did you know that in a series of novels Kingfisher was the name of a "Artificial Intelligence" chess playing computer that became sentient? Always think of that when I see your name.
Judy and The Cutterpup
riverman

Post by riverman »

William,
Congratulations! There is a satisfation in playing for your Creator that cannot be equaled in other music, no matter how ornate. Most praise choruses and many hymns sound GREAT on the whistle. It has that quality that drew me to Irish music in the first place--the airs and laments that rip my heart out and expose it to the open air.
Playing Irish music makes me happy; playing for Jesus fills me up!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.