What do you put on your fries/chips?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What do you put on your fries/chips?

Catchup
No votes
Catsup
8%
Ketchup
31%
Something else
56%
Nothing
6%

Total votes: 36

Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I like Dijon mustard on my fries. I'm dying to try curry sauce...that sounds yummy!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Gravy is very good on chips if you're having them with steak and kidney pudding with mushy peas. Yum.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

SteveShaw wrote:mushy peas
Blech. Peas, like carrots, should be eaten raw. (Of course, I like raw potatoes, too.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: What do you put on your fries/chips?

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote:What do you put on your fries/chips?
Catchup
Catsup
Ketchup
Something else
Nothing
Why wasn't mayonnaise a choice?
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

jsluder wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:mushy peas
Blech. Peas, like carrots, should be eaten raw. (Of course, I like raw potatoes, too.)
Now look here, my man. All veg can be eaten raw** (especially by hungry cooks when peeling or shelling), but the pea has a very short season. Grown to full maturity and dried, however, and you have a staple to last right through the winter. A damn sight more traditional than freezing the buggers! Those unfortunate and deluded people who eschew mushy peas remind me of the Guinness ad from decades ago which had the slogan "I've never tried it and I don't like it."

** Medical advice: Never do what I once did and graze on a bowl of raw, soaking red kidney beans. For three hours I needed a lavatory at each end of my body, continuously. They are seriously toxic raw! It's probably good advice with all dried pulses. Sorry to be graphic but I know there are lives to be saved out there. :wink:

Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

SteveShaw wrote:** Medical advice: Never do what I once did and graze on a bowl of raw, soaking red kidney beans. For three hours I needed a lavatory at each end of my body, continuously. They are seriously toxic raw! It's probably good advice with all dried pulses. Sorry to be graphic but I know there are lives to be saved out there. :wink:
Noted! :o
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

SteveShaw wrote: . . . .Another very good thing to do is to butter thickly some cheap, thin-sliced white bread and make chip butties with the hot, salty and vinegary chips.
Per Wikipedia [usual disclaimers, yada, yada]: "In the United Kingdom, a chip butty is a butty made with chips. The canonical recipe for a chip butty is chips sandwiched between two slices of buttered white bread, topped with tomato ketchup."

This is what we 'mericans would term a 'french fry sandwich.' I've tried to approach this concept with an open mind, but can't help finding it...vaguely disturbing. Even with the ketchup. :D

Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

scottielvr wrote:
SteveShaw wrote: . . . .Another very good thing to do is to butter thickly some cheap, thin-sliced white bread and make chip butties with the hot, salty and vinegary chips.
Per Wikipedia [usual disclaimers, yada, yada]: "In the United Kingdom, a chip butty is a butty made with chips. The canonical recipe for a chip butty is chips sandwiched between two slices of buttered white bread, topped with tomato ketchup."

This is what we 'mericans would term a 'french fry sandwich.' ...
... also known as an Anti-Atkinson.
/Bloomfield
djm

Post by djm »

I like fries. I prefer big thick fries, or home fries with breakfast, but can choke down those ridiculous McD sticks if necessary. I don't like my fries over-cooked. Hot on the outside, but white and al dente inside.

I like fries plain. I like them with iodized salt, not sea salt. In Canada we like white vinegar, never malt vinegar (eeeeewwww!). I like fries with gravy - chicken, not beef. I have had many versions of curried chips, but the ones I liked best were basically a chicken gravy with a ton of curry powder added. I like ketchup on fries. I sometimes get in the mood for regular mustard on fries (short-lived).

Many fry stands actually deep-fry twice. This shortens cooking time when you are ready to order. Some places do the second fry in peanut oil, which gives the fries an excellent taste.

The Quebec version of fries and gravy is called poutine. It is made with piping hot hot beef gravy and cheddar cheese curds. The curds are sprinkled liberally over the hot fries and then the hot hot beef gravy is poured over the top to melt the cheese curds in an orgy of heart-stopping cholesteral sludge. Type of gravy and cheese is up to you, of course. I prefer a chicken gravy, but cheese curds are usually best.

Thankfully none of the above is fattening or unhealthy.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
susnfx

Re: What do you put on your fries/chips?

Post by susnfx »

Walden wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:What do you put on your fries/chips?
Catchup
Catsup
Ketchup
Something else
Nothing
Why wasn't mayonnaise a choice?
See my post re Utah's famous fry sauce: 1 part catsup, 2 parts mayo (supposedly the people who started it had/have a secret ingredient, but the above is close enough). The best of both worlds!

Susan
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Mayonnaise is the work of Satan.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I was in a pub in Long Beach, CA listening to Pat d'Arcy play and he ordered some curry fires. We passed them around.I had one taste and memories of Cork City at 3 in the morning came flooding back with my middle daughter; looking for fried chicken.

So its mayo and some curry powder for me and chips. Amazing what taste/smell can do for memories.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Ketchup and salt.

When I was little I used to make a big puddle of ketchup on the plate, then pour enough salt on top to make a crust, then dip the fries in that.
Charlene
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:Many fry stands actually deep-fry twice. This shortens cooking time when you are ready to order. Some places do the second fry in peanut oil, which gives the fries an excellent taste.

djm
I speak as an expert, as my mum had a chippy when I was a little lad and I helped out a lot. Double-frying is fine. Some say it even improves the chips. But proper chips are cooked in lard or (even better) beef dripping. Any one of these namby-pamby runny oils is anathaema. If you're worried about cholesterol when you're eating chips, throw them to the seagulls and have a bloody nut cutlet.

Steve

SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

scottielvr wrote:

This is what we 'mericans would term a 'french fry sandwich.' I've tried to approach this concept with an open mind, but can't help finding it...vaguely disturbing. Even with the ketchup. :D

You're getting there but there's a lot wrong here. The bread is a bit too thick. It looks like a medium-to-toastie loaf to me. And where's the butter! The butter should be thick enough to leave your teeth-marks in, like little cliffs where you've just bitten. I can't see much evidence of salt and vinegar either, but we'll let that pass. Tomato ketchup on a chip butty is not traditional where I come from and it sounds disgusting to me (a good chip don't need it), but each to his own I suppose. One man's fish is another man's poisson.

Steve