Migration?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Time to shut this and migrate to the other place

yes, please
32%
no, this is fine here
68%

Total votes: 66

Cayden

Migration?

Post by Cayden »

With the NPU forum up and running, is there a reason to stay here or is it time to shut the place and migrate over?
Last edited by Cayden on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Why not both ???

RORY
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

For a multitude of reasons, because there's not enough time to waste going to a bunch of different forums, it's good to have one central place on the web (nearly said one-stop-shop). Because NPU is more of a natural home for pipers, because Dale has made it clear more than once pipers are tolerated here but he'd rather be rid of them.

I like the idea of a clean slate and leave certain aspects of this forum behind.
Doogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Migration?

Post by Doogie »

Peter Laban wrote:With the NPU forum up and running, is there a reason to stay here or is it time to shut the place and migrate over?

I think members of this forum will make their own decision's about which forums to visit. Some may go but most will probably stay.

As, Rory said "Why not Both" Sounds good to me.
Last edited by Doogie on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

uilleannforum.com is another option. That was started during the Great Lockout of '05.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Peter Laban wrote: Dale has made it clear more than once pipers are tolerated here but he'd rather be rid of them.

...tolerated because he has become tired of having to deal with our inherent, unruly nature. His reason for signing me up as a moderator was to have somebody else who had an actual interest in the pipes to ref the forum.
Peter Laban wrote:I like the idea of a clean slate and leave certain aspects of this forum behind.
A clean slate is nice, but how would it be truly clean if the whole lot of us migrated over to NPU's piping forum/boxing ring bringing our attitudes, anxt and loads of baggage from C&F?

I, personally, would like to see the NPU forum do very well but I have to wonder just how long it will take before flames and useless posts begin to haunt its hallowed halls.

Besides all that, like Rory said, why not visit both? The more the merrier, right?
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

I haven't voted. I'll probably just follow the experts around where ever they may be. But, this pipe pub is kinda fun in that I know most everyone. People are inevitably going to migrate to whichever site has the best action...and the best pipers.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

2990 registered users, 4 posts so far, "Our users have posted a total of 15 articles," "Most users ever online was 6 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:47 pm."
Will they go through all the arse pains you get here? Actually from what I've heard they won't have near enough time for Moderators, hmmm...
What is left to forum-ize, anyway? Bob Dylan once said, It's all been done before, it's all been written in a book. And when there's too much of nothing, no one should look...
anima

Post by anima »

Having started another forum (www.uilleannforum.com), worked diligently to make it "value added" by instituting numerous modifications to the forum software (including a spellchecker, and draft posts etc. and other small enhancements not featured here at the Chiff), having responded to almost every perceived deficiency of this forum and listened to everyone's complaints (that is, given the pipers what they supposedly wanted), having created separate forums for pipe/reed making and pipe sales, having added a member map (which I have been working on upgrading) and a worldwide calendar of uilleann pipe events, having spent a fair amount of my own time and money on the forum and having seen most of it go to nought, I would say good luck to the NPU forums. This place has a life all of it's own - trust me on that. As long as this place is open for business - this is where the action will be.

The only part of uilleannforum which seems to get any serious interest is the pipemaking forum, which has been "relatively" active of late.

I work hard to keep the calendar updated -not sure why, but I do.

I'll tell you one thing though, the lack of spell checker at this forum has been ticking me off as I type.

Good luck wherever you all congregate, I'll keep my place going for at least another two years as the domain name and website are paid up until then - as is the spell checking utility and the calendar software.

Jeff - keeper of lost causes
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

While I'm new to the Uilleann Pipe game, I would imagine that a lot of people who post here also play whistle (if not flute) as well. It seems as though it would be advantageous for everyone to have primary players of each of the respective intstruments in one place. I know I've benefited from the insights of some board hoppers, and I wouldn't want to see the quality of any of the boards become diluted as a result of a mass exodus from one.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

The migration might make good sense for you folks for other reasons, but for what it is worth, it's been a long time since I've wished pipers would go away. Y'all are welcome to stay if you'd like.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Fair enough, you have been a bit harsh in the past though.
Ballygo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ballygo »

Sorry to be so dumb, but how do you vote
Last edited by Ballygo on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Wow. Nearly 3000 members registered, all on the same day. I wonder how they managed that. :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

DaleWisely wrote:Wow. Nearly 3000 members registered, all on the same day. I wonder how they managed that. :)
... coersion? :lol: