DIXON TOUR: USA STARTED/EURO TO BEGIN

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

I'm waiting too. Tony sent the whsitles on Friday. It can take from 1-3 weeks.

I don't think you'll have it by Friday. Is there another address you want to use, or should I put you further down the list?

Mike
slowair

Post by slowair »

Bumpity Bump

Tour is starting...read the first post for new info.

Mike
pjuuldk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pjuuldk »

Is it just in the US or will one of the whistles arrive in europe to?

Peter :)
slowair

Post by slowair »

For now, the whistles are going to be just in North America.

If there is more interest in Europe, Tony Dixon might provide a whistle for a tour there. Right now there are only a handful of people signed up.

I'm keeping him informed of the numbers. So unless there are more folks who sign up, I would say that the Euro Tour will follow the NA tour.

But there will be a Tour.

Mike
sweet potato
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

I'd love to be in on a european tour!

Laura
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Trying to be patient :boggle: .

Bum de dum de dum de dumm :o
Bridges-PdP

Tour details

Post by Bridges-PdP »

I've never taken part in a whistle tour. Can you give me some more info on how it works? I'd love to experience this whistle, but I won't return to the States until June 1.

Are there enough people signed up that I could get on the tail end of the list for June or is that too far out?

I have two Dixon whistles now and a third on the way, I really like Tony's work.

Kind regards
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
slowair

Post by slowair »

Laura, you're on the list. Thanks.

Peter, you'll be the first on the Euro Tour. I'm going to email Tony and see if there are enough people signed up for a seperate Euro Tour. I'll let every know on the board when I find out. Might need a few more names though.

Scott, take a look through the thread, I think I explain how the tour works in the first post. You will be far enough out that you probably wouldn't see the whislte until June. Gotta send your information first though.

Mike
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

Great Mike, thanks for the good news. Now, is that the US tour or the European tour?

Just a minor identity crisis....

Laura
slowair

Post by slowair »

sweet potato wrote:Great Mike, thanks for the good news. Now, is that the US tour or the European tour?

Just a minor identity crisis....

Laura
European Tour would get to you first if there is a seperate tour. We'll have to see what happens. Waiting to hear from Tony.

Mike
slowair

Post by slowair »

CALLING ALL INTERESTED EUROPEANS!!!

Here's your chance. Tony Dixon has agreed to add another whistle to the tour to be used in Europe.

You still have time to get in on the tour. The list is not long...yet. Email me your vitals by Tuesday midnight to be included.

Enjoy,
Mike
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

Yay, I just got the whistle today! I can't wait to get home tonight and give her a try. Too bad its arrival didn't coincide with our monthly session.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I hate when that happens. I am also a victim of once a month sessions, well I was until I found another once a month session. Unfortunatly they are usually only a week apart.
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

Well, I've been playing this guy for a few days and here's a few things I've noticed.

When I first open it up, I could see no differnece between the DATS (Dixon Aluminium Tunable Session) and my DAT (Dixon Aluminium Tunable), they both looked tha same.

See?
(Mine is on the right)
The only difference I could see was that the DATS has a D etched into the bottom of the body.

Well, I played it a bit then took a closer look at it. The body is the same size, the holes are spaced the same, the fipple looked the same, until I saw the window (I'm not sure of the technical term) and the soundblade. It looks like the window has been enlarged ever-so-much, and the soundblade, ramp, what have you, has been shaved to a sharper edge.

See?
(Mine's on the right)

This leads me to wonder; if it's all in the fipple, can I simply order a new DATS fipple and save a few bucks, rather than buying a whole new whistle?

As for the sound (please excuse my description, I know not the correct terms and I'm no expert at these thing), it is indeed noticably louder, though not by a lot. Should be good enough for a smallish session (how I define small? I can't say), though I'd avoid a loud pub on a Saturday night, yet. This increased volume seems to be proportionally larger in the lower notes, and seems to become less pronounced as you climb in the octives. I actually think that my DAT is louder in the top of the second octive than is the DATS, strange. I have also noticed that with the increased volume, you loose a bit of the sweetness of the DAT. The DATS seems to have a bit of an edge to it's sound.

All and all, I'm afraid that when I'm ready to buy a session whistle, I'll probably have to look elsewhere. But if you want a great high D, though not for large session play, I'd still highly recommend Tony.

I'm sorry, my review vocabulary probably doesn't help. :oops:
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Is the european whistle shipping out soon? :)

Yearh I know, impatient. :P :boggle:

Peter Juul