Another vegetable thread.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Another vegetable thread.

Post by Walden »

I grew up eating the green beans my great grandmother raised, which were pinto beans. I don't care much for the round waxy green beans, like they sell at the grocery store.
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

But Walden, pinto beans and green beans aren't the same thing unless you mean you ate not-quite-ripe pinto beans which were therefore green.
Or maybe this is one of those colloquial discrepancies.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Are you referring to beans that are stripped out of the pod, or to string beans?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh, I see I have the same question everyone else has. Did the pinto beans look like what I would call string beans or green beans? As emmline says, were they immature pinto beans? Did you eat the pod, as djm says, or just the seeds?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

Oh, Walden, I see these people who've responded so far are clearly deprived!

Pinto beans, for those who don't know, grow in a green outer case like all other beans and can be eaten that way too.

I'm shocked people didn't know that!
Jack

Post by Jack »

cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That's one strange pinto bean plant there, Cranberry. Could it be the elusive strawberry pinto?

Grandma use to always have strings of pintos still in the hull of course, hanging to dry in a spare room of her house.

As for green beans, my favorite is the half-runner. Can't beat them fresh out of the garden cooked with a little fat back and served up with sweet corn and tomatos since they are usually ready at the same time. Ummm.

If all I had to eat were the green beans cooked like they do in the northern reaches, forget it. There's no comparison.
Last edited by cowtime on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The dry pinto beans are a staple in many people's diets
and are in all the stores.

But young green pinto beans in the pod are something I
will have to look forward to trying some day.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

cowtime wrote:That's one strange pinto bean plant there, Cranberry. Could it be the elusive strawberry pinto?

Grandma use to always have strings of pintos still in the hull of course, hanging to dry in a spare room of her house.

As for green beans, my favorite is the half-runner. Can't beat them fresh out of the garden cooked with a little fat back and served up with sweet corn and tomatos since they are usually ready at the same time. Ummm.

If all I had to eat were the green beans cooked like they do in the northern reaches, forget it. There's no comparison.
I don't know what makes them particularly "strawberry" but I've eaten them before...they're certainly pinto beans.

I would never in my life put cow fat (or pig fat) in them, though. That's like contamination or something.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Another complication is that green beans that look like string beans very rarely have strings in them these day, at least around here they don't. There is a green bean rather like a dried Pinto but I forget its name.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Cranberry wrote:
cowtime wrote:That's one strange pinto bean plant there, Cranberry. Could it be the elusive strawberry pinto?

I don't know what makes them particularly "strawberry" but I've eaten them before...they're certainly pinto beans.

I would never in my life put cow fat (or pig fat) in them, though. That's like contamination or something.
That second picture is a strawberry plant, Cran. It looks like you got the wrong link.

Robin
Jack

Post by Jack »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
Cranberry wrote:

That second picture is a strawberry plant, Cran. It looks like you got the wrong link.

Robin
Hmm...I just googled for a picture of a bean bush and that one came up. I know pinto beans grow like that (on a green bush)-- because I've picked them (or mabey I'm just crazy and imagined it?)!! :P
Jack

Post by Jack »

Oh my heavens. I just clicked it again and looked. I am so retarded. Yes, yes, I pick pinto beans from strawberry plants. I have no idea how I didn't notice that. LMAO. :lol:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Yes... pinto bean pods... they must be picked very young, but they are very good.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy

Post by missy »

Cran- we always called these "Shelley" beans.

then you have "leather britches" and "greasy beans".......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com