FS: Glenn Schultz Rosewood Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

FS: Glenn Schultz Rosewood Flute

Post by dfernandez77 »

I am selling a Rosewood Flute that Glenn Schultz completed in 2005 - one of the last Flutes he made before he passed away. I don't have the embouchure to play it yet, and I think it will take a few years for me to get up to speed. I'll keep my Tipple to practice on occasionally.

My priorities are my son, learning whistle, and learning Mandarin Chinese, so the Schultz Flute is suffering from lack of attention. I haven't practiced with it in more than a week and I'm feeling guilty that it's not being played. I am selling it so it can live somewhere where it will be played and given the attention it deserves.

Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7393831411

Fancy Photo:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Jumbuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumbuk »

Congratulations on the photos - they are beautiful! It's so hard to get the angles to show off a flute properly. Pity I am not in the market!

Out of interest, is the head lined? It looks like it has a tuning slide, fully closed.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Jumbuk wrote:Congratulations on the photos - they are beautiful! It's so hard to get the angles to show off a flute properly. Pity I am not in the market!

Out of interest, is the head lined? It looks like it has a tuning slide, fully closed.
It has a tuning slide and unlined head. "French style" as it's sometimes called.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I edited this thread to remove a post with a personal attack, and then some posts criticizing the post with a personal attack.
dhamilingu

Post by dhamilingu »

Hi Dale,

It's your show and all that, and I know that I can find another flute forum if I don't like it and all that, but...

Isn't censoring EVERYONE, regardless of what was said, a little heavy-handed? In my case, I feel that I made a very even-handed plea for civility. But it is not just a matter of what I said: through the WAY that I said it, I was also trying to indicate one possible APPROPRIATE way of respectfully disagreeing with another member's post, without resorting to "personal attack". So I must admit to being a bit miffed at having my post censored.

If the problem was that I quoted a post that you wanted to delete, is it not possible simply to remove my quote, and leave my own words intact? After all, I didn't say anything defamatory or otherwise offensive.

Respectfully yours,

Peter
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

dhamilingu wrote:Hi Dale,

It's your show and all that, and I know that I can find another flute forum if I don't like it and all that, but...

Isn't censoring EVERYONE, regardless of what was said, a little heavy-handed? In my case, I feel that I made a very even-handed plea for civility. But it is not just a matter of what I said: through the WAY that I said it, I was also trying to indicate one possible APPROPRIATE way of respectfully disagreeing with another member's post, without resorting to "personal attack". So I must admit to being a bit miffed at having my post censored.

If the problem was that I quoted a post that you wanted to delete, is it not possible simply to remove my quote, and leave my own words intact? After all, I didn't say anything defamatory or otherwise offensive.

Respectfully yours,

Peter
I think the idea was to get rid of the whole matter, because it was silly and (dare I say?) a little juvenile.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

DaleWisely wrote:I edited this thread to remove a post with a personal attack, and then some posts criticizing the post with a personal attack.
Hmmmmmm....

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=37325
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Back to the original thread...
Someone Asked wrote:Curious why you are selling the flute.
Which is a reasonable question, and perhaps more than one person is curious. So I'll answer it.

Simple. Priorities.

I have a prior commitment to myself to take care of my son, learn to play Irish Whistle, and study Mandarin Chinese. That's in addition to my work.

I really like the Flute, but I found if I put even a half hour in practicing the flute every day then something else suffered. A half hour was shortchanging the process considering I have a scarred and partially paralyzed lower lip from a fight when I was younger. Flute was the lowest and latest priority right now, and my return on investment in practicing flute was the lowest of any other priorities. I don't like to do anything half-assed, so I let go of the latest monkey wrench in the works.

I learn to play whistle faster, and practicing whistle is an investment in better flute playing should I go back to flute in 3 years (which I plan to do). My son will go away to college, and I will be fairly fluent in Chinese by then.

I could hang on to the Schultz for three years but I wouldn't play it enough to keep it broken in. I am keeping a Tipple PVC flute to noodle around on occasionally in the meantime - I can leave it assembled and leaning in the corner and don't need to swab or oil it (it really is leaning in the corner).

When I bought some of Glenn's instruments after he passed away, his wife told me "breath some life into them." So I feel a responsibility to see that the flute doesn't become neglected kindling until I arrange my priorities to put effort into it. The reserve is only half of what I paid for it so I think it will sell, and the reserve is at least half of what I payed so I think it will be picked up by someone who thinks it's valuable.

I'm not a guy who is into keeping stuff just to keep it, which is why I'm selling some instruments. For the flute in particular, I will be very pleased to know it is being enjoyed by someone who can give it more attention than I will right now. Does that make sense?
Daniel

Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

This fellow is trying to sell a flute. Let's let him keep his thread, please.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

At first I hadn't noticed this funny reversed tenon on the RH joint. Nice flute and nice pictures.
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Bump!
Auction closes in a few hours.
Daniel

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

DaleWisely wrote:This fellow is trying to sell a flute. Let's let him keep his thread, please.
Yeah, but you deleted my post in this thread too! Just cause I called
somebody on the fluteboard a booger brain. That's constitutionally
protected speech, for crying out loud! Matters of fundamental principle
come before mercenary flute sales, no? i've been on a
hungastrike (more or less) for two days, and I'm appealing
to the UN. Tyrant!

Bump. Really lovely photos. Glenn used to answer my
messages in poetry. I have one of the last whistles he
made. In fact, the holes were put in by somebody else.
I miss this guy. The idea that Glenn's wife asked
you to breath life into this flute is...well, hope somebody
will.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I can't believe this flute went for $560. A few weeks ago a D whistle of Glenn's went for $760. So a $300 whistle is suddenly worth $760, but a $900 flute by the same maker is worth $560?

Yeah, maybe what that says is that his whistles are all they've been cracked up to be (they are), but his flutes are ordinary. My flute has killer sound. I really wish I could play it worth a damn, but I can't.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

I heard a good player play the Schutz I sold. I heard him play his usual Olwell Rudall and the Schultz. The Shultz has more firmness and presence of tone compared to the Olwell.

I think you might say it's a flute with a better voice than reputation. Like Christina Aguilera. :lol:
Last edited by dfernandez77 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

dfernandez77 wrote:I heard a good player play the Schutz I sold. I heard him play his usual Olwell Rudall and the Schultz. The Shultz has more firmness and presence of tone compared to the Olwell.

I think you might say it's a flute with a better voice than reputation. Like Christina Aguilar. :lol:
His flutes seem to be fine. While I know someone who wanted to move on from his, he's kept it instead and seems to get on OK.

So Daniel, any chance of coming up to a Tuesday night session at Finn McCool's in Santa Monica and delivering the flute?

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org