Leicestershire, England

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:Or Grosvenor Square...I went there yesterday, and when I was telling Martin about my trip I spotted "The Look" and knew I had horribly mispronounced something.
<<<<<<<<<< The Look
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

:lol:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ok, thanks everybody. :)
Colin

Post by Colin »

My home city of Edinburgh is usually mispronounced by non-Scots -
most often as 'Edinborough'. It should rhyme with kookaburra (the
Australian bird), as in Edin-burra.
Also, Glasgow should be pronounced 'Glaz-go'.

Colin
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Come to Cornwall and try Widemouth Bay, Polzeath, Launceston, Fowey, Rough Tor, Treknow, Perranzabuloe, Yeolmbridge, Chysauster, Mousehole, Tintagel. Your efforts will raise the odd titter but you'll love the place anyway!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
DCrom

Re: I was there!

Post by DCrom »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I was up in Leicester, the city, just yesterday. Well, Tuesday, really.
Pronounce the city "Lester".
Prounce the county: "Lester sher".

Quite a nice place, bits of city wall dating from 1400 littering the place. City centre is loathsome, like all city centres these days.
Leicestershire is Midlands, which means mostly industrial, but there is a lot of lovely "Robin Hood" countryside.
I'll second you on the city centre - I spent several days there on my first visit to the UK (visiting a customer, so no choice). Perhaps I was spoiled by the other cities visited - the trip went London->Exeter->Leicester->York - but I enjoyed the others while my happiest memory of Leicester was leaving it.

Then, on later visits, I had to spend time in Milton Keynes. By comparison, Leicester isn't all that bad. :moreevil:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Well, in comparison...
Exeter is great. How can you not like a city with a Church of St. Petrock a stone's throw from the cathedral? And a stone's throw from Marks & Spencers. And they have a Hawkin's Bazaar. And a lovely park in the Castle grounds.
And York is brilliant. (Have you been to Durham?)
Leicester just doesn't compare at all. Mind you, it's better than Birmingham. (I mean Brum, UK, not Brum Alabama.)
London has something for everyone, it's just a pity you have to wade through nine bits you don't like to get to one you do.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Well, in comparison...
Exeter is great. How can you not like a city with a Church of St. Petrock a stone's throw from the cathedral? And a stone's throw from Marks & Spencers. And they have a Hawkin's Bazaar. And a lovely park in the Castle grounds.
Leicester just doesn't compare at all. Mind you, it's better than Birmingham. (I mean Brum, UK, not Brum Alabama.)
London has something for everyone, it's just a pity you have to wade through nine bits you don't like to get to one you do.
Exeter, an hour's drive from me, is a fine city. Plymouth is a bit of a disaster by comparison, mainly due to unsympathetic post-war development (it suffered very badly in the Blitz). Having said that, the Plymouth Gin distillery is well worth a visit. But if you were visiting England and had time to see just one city I'd say that Bath was definitely the place to go. Get a hotel or guest-house within walking distance of the city centre (it isn't that big anyway) and don't even think of using your car. Use feet and buses! :)

Steve

DCrom

Post by DCrom »

SteveShaw wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Well, in comparison...
Exeter, an hour's drive from me, is a fine city. Plymouth is a bit of a disaster by comparison, mainly due to unsympathetic post-war development (it suffered very badly in the Blitz). Having said that, the Plymouth Gin distillery is well worth a visit. But if you were visiting England and had time to see just one city I'd say that Bath was definitely the place to go. Get a hotel or guest-house within walking distance of the city centre (it isn't that big anyway) and don't even think of using your car. Use feet and buses! :)

Steve
I think we're eye-to-eye on this, about both cities.

Unfortunately, when we were in the UK this summer it was a packaged tour (the wife and kids wanted to see as much as possible in the available time), so we only had a few hours in Bath. And the tour bypassed Exeter entirely.

What I'd like to do is come back with just my wife and spend more time in fewer places - on our own schedule. The problem is that our "short list" is already pretty long - besides the obligatory time in London I could happily spend much more time in Exceter, Bath, Cambridge, Chester, York, Edinburg . . . and that's just places I've been before. Guess I need to win the lottery or wait until I retire. :(
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm planning on going to Austria in a little under 2 years (if I can afford it, since I'm a student I'll have access to lots of scholarship money), but since I know nobody there at all, I'm actually thinking about going to the UK instead. I don't know...it's a nice thought, though. I'd probably want to stay in Scotland or Wales, though, not England.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

avanutria wrote:Many letters in English placenames are not pronounced
If you drive up interstate 91 in Massachusetts (like I did this past weekend)., you notice the very same thing. You should have heard my kids trying to pronounce Worcester :lol:
Jack

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
avanutria wrote:Many letters in English placenames are not pronounced
If you drive up interstate 91 in Massachusetts (like I did this past weekend)., you notice the very same thing. You should have heard my kids trying to pronounce Worcester :lol:
I asked about that in a thread of Tyghress' (I think) recently, too... :P
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I've been to Loughboro in County Leicester about 12 or 13 years ago. Nice place. I was suprised about the transporation in England, you can hop on a train go just about anywhere.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:I've been to Loughboro in County Leicester about 12 or 13 years ago. Nice place. I was suprised about the transporation in England, you can hop on a train go just about anywhere.
Ahem, Daniel. Are you referring to Loughborough in Leicestershire? Unlike the US we have no place names that end in -boro.

I used to live in Loughton, Essex ("Lowton" with a short "o"). I sometimes climb Rough Tor in Cornwall ("Rowter" with a short "o" again).
Loughborough is "Luff..." Simple really though, not tough, had you thought it through thoroughly enough. :wink:

Steve

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:I was suprised about the transporation in England
So were a lot of the folks who ended up in Australia.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner