I've figured it out!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

I enjoy the winter olympics far more than the summer.

What bugs me is when the coverage highlights some athletes (usually figure skaters) practicing [Kwan, Michelle] and won't cover entire sports because they are obscure. That's just entirely lame.

that and the politics involved in any "Judged" sport.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
djm

Post by djm »

I loved the shot of the aerialist who lost his skis mid-air. Priceless! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

jsluder wrote:
Charlene wrote:It's about people moving from one point to another on either snow or ice, either inside things or with funny things strapped to their feet.
Ah, but curling (another of those innovative Scottish games, like golf and haggis hurling) is about people moving rocks from one point to another on ice. Now that is a sport worthy of the Olympic Games. :wink:

To be honest, since I saw the movie Men With Brooms a few years back, I've started paying more attention to curling. There's some real strategy to the game, which is a nice contrast to the usual "get there first" style of most Olympic events.

I did some reading on curling and it looks kind of cool. I'd like to watch some if I can determine when they'll be televised.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:I did some reading on curling and it looks kind of cool. I'd like to watch some if I can determine when they'll be televised.
The women's finals are almost over (perhaps are already over?), and the men's are sometime today or tomorrow, I think. CBC (a Canadian channel we get on cable here in Seattle) has shown some curling. I think the only US channel that has shown any is CNBC (cable only, unfortunately).
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Yeah, I have really got into Curling. Aparently, there is a curling club here in town. I plan to be checking it out.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wormdiet wrote:I enjoy the winter olympics far more than the summer.

What bugs me is when the coverage highlights some athletes (usually figure skaters) practicing [Kwan, Michelle] and won't cover entire sports because they are obscure. That's just entirely lame.

I agree on all counts.
I can't peg exactly why I like the winter sports better but I do.

I also would rather see all the sport rather than the stories of athletes. However, I guess sometimes the things that have been most memorable to me have been those Cindarella stories or obvious efforts of fortitude.
Who can forget Eddie the Eagle? (somehow I hear a small chorus of "Who?")
And I followed Dan Jansen through a number of Olympics. I felt sad when he struggled and kept falling. And when he overcame all that to win in the last Olympics, I couldn't help crying.
Brian Boitano was inspirational in Calgary.
And need I mention the American Hockey team's triumph in Lake Placid?

But I could have appreciated all of these based upon their performances alone. Their actions spoke for themselves. I did not need to be led down the primrose path by some in-depth behind-the-scenes story.

For me, with the Olympics, it's not so much the sport but effort that is put forth (not with all but with some).
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Wormdiet wrote:I enjoy the winter olympics far more than the summer.

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Celtic983, you can have the gals. Here's MY winter olympics:

Image ImageImage

'nuff said.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

[quote="rebl_rn"]Celtic983, you can have the gals. Here's MY winter olympics:[quote]

Thanks for taking the other competition off my hands! Sorry to inform everyone that between rebl_rn and me, there are no longer any hot olympians available. However, There might be one or two Russian wieght lifters ........
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin