Some stuff on Evil Bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Some stuff on Evil Bay

Post by Unseen122 »

Niether are mine:

Here is an Olwell Pratten
http://cgi.ebay.com/Patrick-Olwell-Iris ... dZViewItem

A Wooden Dixon
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tony-Dixon-Beautifu ... dZViewItem

Since when was Tony Dixon a "World Class Flute Maker?"
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Hey, isn't that Rosewood Dixon the same model flute Blackbeer speaks so highly of? Actually, the Dixon 3 piece flutes have been given a few good recommendations for their price range, IIRC.

Mary (hey, I used computer-speak! :party: )
Congratulations

Re: Some stuff on Evil Bay

Post by Congratulations »

Unseen122 wrote:Since when was Tony Dixon a "World Class Flute Maker?"
Everything on eBay is world class.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
daiv

Post by daiv »

the waiting list is only a year and a half? is that accurate (cant always trust ebay) pff. for that time why not get your own. i thought it was like 3 years or something.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

What's quoted, plus a bit extra....

M
daiv

Post by daiv »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:What's quoted, plus a bit extra....

M
so more than 1.5 years for a keyless? it seemed a bit low.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Yep, I have a rosewood Dixon. Had it almost 3 years now and still love it. I was going to jump on the kid for being so judgmental but what the hell. Anyway as you can see it is a small holed flute but it has a pretty wide bore a good embouchore cut and can be plenty loud with as much reedyness or sweetness as you want. It is also very light and has a darn good low D. I even have his poly version and I like it too.

Qualifications: Never met a flute I didn`t like in some way
Piddled around for 3 years
Never suck spit
Will try anything once(except suck spit)
Can`t dance
To old to argue

Take care

Tom
neilC
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

Blackbeer - how does the rosewood Dixon compare to the poly? I've got one of Dixon's three piece poly's - used it to learn on, and now mostly play a blackwood keyless Copley, which I love, but is much more demanding. I found the dixon to be easy, great low, slightly flat upper octave, hard to get a big tonal variation in the middle range. Would you say the rosewood adds anything?

My CV (as seems to be the latest trend)
18 Months simple system flute (about 30 mins / day)
22 Years boehm flute (some early fanaticism and success, a lot of repetition after, a bit of teaching)
30 Years recorder (No, really. Also played with the odd whistle just to be difficult)
38 Years breathing (some of which have to be heard to be believed)
Flute and whistle player with The Munster Men

A few random recordings of mine on YouTube
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Some stuff on Evil Bay

Post by Loren »

Unseen122 wrote: Here is an Olwell Pratten
http://cgi.ebay.com/Patrick-Olwell-Iris ... dZViewItem
This is should be fun, anyone care to guess what it'll go for? My gut tells me $1600. or so, but my head says $1800.

Anyone else care to get in on the pool?

Loren
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

neilC; Well let me see......there is quite a difference between the two. Of course I have highly and scientificuly modified my poly Dixon by glueing a dime to the cork. So it is not stock. The poly seems rediculously easy to play with a very forgiving blow hole. The rosewood takes a little more disaplin in the lip department and has a bit darker sound, though when you tighten things up it has a clear tone with some complexity to it. I wouldn`t say it was a great flute but I sure like it. It was also my first wooden flute and the one I use to compare every other flute that has gone through these unsteady hands. I am, however, reticent to recomend it as I don`t realy know why I like it so much. You are already playing a pretty darn good flute so if you are looking for a replacement this isn`t it, but as a second hunk of timber it has its good points. I`m curious about the tuning problems you seem to have with the poly Dixon. Mine is great through two and a half octives as far as balance goes and is dead on. Maybe your cork is in the wrong place. One other thing, the poly is in tune with the head joint seated all the way, where as the rosewood is in tune with head pulled out about an eighth of an inch. A good thing I think.

Take care

Tom
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'll chime in on the Dixon issue. I had a poly, and it was in tune like Blackbeers (I had to move my cork to get the upper octave in tune). I played an ebony Dixon at a festival, and it was indeed different than the polymer one - much lighter and I thought it played remarkably well (although I only played a few reels and jigs on it before the shopkeep stared me out of the tent since I wasn't obviously planning to buy).

In keeping with the Stone-Levine protocol:

2 years cylindrical bore flutes (bamboo/pvc), 3+ years conical bore flutes, unlike Tom I can dance

Eric
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Blackbeer wrote:Yep, I have a rosewood Dixon. Had it almost 3 years now and still love it. I was going to jump on the kid for being so judgmental but what the hell. Anyway as you can see it is a small holed flute but it has a pretty wide bore a good embouchore cut and can be plenty loud with as much reedyness or sweetness as you want. It is also very light and has a darn good low D.
Jump on me? I just don't consider Tony a world class maker, not in teh same range as someone like Pat Olwell. Although I used to have a Dixon whistle which I liked a lot, but then played other Whsitles which I liked more. Sounds a lot like my Bleazey except for the bore (the Bleazey has a very small bore) and my Bleazey is not a light Fltue by any stretch and it has a Tuning slide and a partially lined head.

NeilC, the flat upper octave sounds like it could be caused by the cork being out of position.

Loren, sounds like a fun game, but I have to agree that it will be in teh range of $1600-1800.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Hey Avery,
I'm not jumping on you. Just curious.
Is there a reason you play Fltues while the rest of us play flutes?

I'm imagining you're just a really fast typist... I've had a few folks
send me PMs about Fltues also. Why the capital letter? Am I missing
some of the local spelling lore?

Jennie

... and now back to the topic at hand...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hey! I'm The Kid!
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Because, only I am cool enough to play a Fltue. I usually type pretty fast, so it is just a typo. What I always do is FLute (Flute) and teh (the) and have the last letter of a word be the first of the next. What capital letter do you speak of?