The second season of LOST.....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The second season of LOST.....

Post by Dale »

.....is kinda taking on water. Not good.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

I think that the leak started towards the end of the first series.

It was a wonderful idea to start with but it got a bit dodgy near the end.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

dubhlinn wrote:I think that the leak started towards the end of the first series.

It was a wonderful idea to start with but it got a bit dodgy near the end.

Slan,
D.
Perhaps you're right. But, I was fully engaged until the end of season 1 and even a few episodes into season 2. But, now, it's just depressing and aimless. I'd bet my last dime that, their claims to have a full 5 year story line outlined in detail, they've already hit the point of not really having any idea of where they want to take the story line.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

When they brought in all those new people and the chamber with the modern conveniences (more or less)... it was still kinda interesting... but... not as much.
Reasonable person
Walden
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

One of the big problems with this season for me is that none of the characters have any redeeming qualities anymore. Sure, in the first season, everyone had their issues but at least they had their good points. This season all my favorites have become schmucks. Is this what happens when we get washing machines and flush toilets?

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
emmline

Post by emmline »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:One of the big problems with this season for me is that none of the characters have any redeeming qualities anymore. Sure, in the first season, everyone had their issues but at least they had their good points.
No kidding. When Sawyer squashed the frog that kind of fed me up.
My biggest issue has been the rate at which they've been broadcasting new episodes. Put a new show on about once a month and something bad happens to your momentum.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Bring back the big loud thing that shakes the trees.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

emmline wrote: My biggest issue has been the rate at which they've been broadcasting new episodes. Put a new show on about once a month and something bad happens to your momentum.
Bingo!
Reasonable person
Walden
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Walden wrote:
emmline wrote: My biggest issue has been the rate at which they've been broadcasting new episodes. Put a new show on about once a month and something bad happens to your momentum.
Bingo!
That, and I think that you can stretch an idea like LOST only so far. There are a few shows on TV that I don't expect to last long, like LOST and Prisonbreak ( hell, I'm surprised Prisonbreak got past season one! They'll let drivel like that continue on, but they'll cancel Firefly...)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

It is a simple case of producers stretching the limits of reasonable plots and carelessly dropping any and all suspension of belief in order to market the beegeezus out of it and milk every last coin as a result. Often, the drive for more cashola ruins what could've been a good, long running show.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Case in point:
* The "Lost" bi-monthly magazine
* The recent mention of a "mystery novel manuscript" that Hurley found in plane crash debris, The Bad Twin. The only reason this book was mentioned is because there's a book by the very same name that's being published soon...supposedly by a passenger on 815 who gave the book to his publisher before boarding the fateful plane...and they want people to run out and buy it.

But besides that--and hating Sawyer for his recent behavior--I really like this season. The mysteries drive me crazy. Jin and Sun are sweet, and Jack still seems like a good guy most of the time. Not sure how I feel about Locke. He seems so different from week to week. I'm very disappointed in Charlie. I love Mr. Eko and think introducing "The Tailies" was a good move. As far as the conveniences of the Hatch goes, I love the mystery of the numbers and button-pushing and can't wait for them to let the time run out. "The Others" and Danielle Rousseau are freakish and intriguing.

I do share your frustration of constant reruns, though. It's annoying. They should do like most other dramas and do a run of 6-8 new shows, then a month of reruns. Doing it like they are with two new shows and a rerun or two isn't good.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cees wrote:Can't wait to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince...I will be in line at midnight on July 15, 2005 to get my copy!!!

Sorry for the brief distraction, but, did you ever read the book? :D
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Cees wrote:Can't wait to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince...I will be in line at midnight on July 15, 2005 to get my copy!!!

Sorry for the brief distraction, but, did you ever read the book? :D
Still not waiting there, I hope! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I play in groups on Wednesday nights and I have several episodes on tape which I haven gotten around to watching, and I'm beginning to not care.

Don't you DARE pull me away from an episode of '24' though.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Why don't they just do like the 24 producers and recycle the
same thing every season.
I caught a couple episodes of season 2 on A&E the other day and, I swear, it is the exact same season. The bad guys just change from Arab to Russian to Arab to Russian.

Same with every House episode too... "It's a tumor!!!"