Take-everywhere-you-go-in-the-bottom-of-your-bag-whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I use my hybrid clare 2-piece with Hoover whitecap. It is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket so you won't damage it by sitting on it. I took it on the plane to Florida over Christmas. One security guy turned to the other and asked '"What's that?" when it went through the x-ray. I guess the brass tube looked like part of a weapon. The other guy recognized it as a whistle immediately and he wasn't even a player.

Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

My Laughing Whistle is ALWAYS in my pocketbook, hence, always with me.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i keep in clare 2 piece, a harmonica in d, and the pvc flute that i made all in my car. i am so ready whenever i meet someone who actually plays any of these and doesn't have one on them.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I have carried whatever happens to be my favorite whistle at the time with me in my backpack. Right now, I have a homemade Bd whistle with a copper pipe body and a mouthpiece made by Trophy Music. The mouthpiece is the same one used on their slide whistles. I asked how much and what the minimum number would be I could order. They cost 25c and the minimum number I could order is 100. I have dibs on the song title “100 Fipples”. It has a remarkably mellow, warm sound. I feel I’m prepared for any emergency involving a dire lack of music.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

In case you didn't see it in the thread that was the genesis for this thread...

Serpent Village Smithy - Chrome Molybdenum with a Cedar Fipple Plug:

It rattles around in this bag and has killed a couple mice (Logitech Marble Mice). Chrome Moly is a very hard steel alloy that is bulletproof (safe in the presence of Dick Cheney).

Sounds like this (excuse the mediocre talent):
http://members.cox.net/tofutaco/Whistle ... Smithy.mp3
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Either the elfin green Busman delrin or the WW Eflat, D, C set.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

brewerpaul wrote:I use a Delrin by what's his name... :D
Me too. In fact, that's it in my avatar over to the left. (Don't believe a word Gary Kelly says; that's a Busman whistle, not liquorice.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
emmline

Post by emmline »

Laughing D. I see I'm in good company.
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

I reckon that if you take a rubbish instrument with you, you might find that:-
A: You add new dimensions to your playing by trying to make a piece of **** sound good.
B: When you get home you are in 7th heaven playing proper instruments. AND you may be able to extract even more from them as a result of your struggles with the ****.
C: It doesn't matter if you lose it.
That Scottish Git.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Chief Wanganui wrote:I reckon that if you take a rubbish instrument with you, you might find that:-
...etc.

I think that's right. Regarding A: I've certainly found that playing **** whistles has improved my breath control and technique. You can't be sloppy when you're playing a squeaker!
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

I've had some difficulty with carrying whistles in the past, but recently, I came across something that really fixed the problem.

I was in KMart, looking for some sort of bag to carry stuff back and forth from work (my parking garage is about 10 minutes from where I actually work) when I came across this SwissTech backpack made for laptop computers. It has lots of pockets for stuff, but the best thing about it is the pocket where you would normally place the laptop. The quilted padding on the pocket gave me an idea. I bought the bag, took it home, and put a couple of stiches in the top and middle of a section of the padding - just enough to tack it together. This connected the padding to the back of the pocket and made a long padded "mini pocket" which was perfect for holding my MellowDog.

There may be enough room in the computer pocket to make 7 or 8 whistle pockets, but I am waiting to acquire additional whistles before I sew more pockets. If anyone would like to see it, let me know and I'll post a picture in a follow-up reply.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

I like looking at pictures--especially if there's whistles in'em.
Last edited by canpiper on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

OK, I'll post one in a day or two.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Danner

Post by Danner »

Like Kevin, I keep a Burke. But mine's OS Al Pro. I'd rather be able to have a more inexpensive whistle with me, but the Burke's the only one I have that's playable (ie not held together with tape and doesn't take so much air that I'm lightheaded after playing for 10 min)
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Hi guys. Sorry it took so long. Here is a picture of my modified bag.
The whistle can be inserted all the way into the modified pocket so that only the very tip of the fipple can be seen.
-Shoveler