Inexpensive first Low D...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Inexpensive first Low D...

Post by Jason Paul »

Well, I was going to get a Hoover Low G, but my wife would rather me get a Low D. She still thinks the Low G is too high and like something more mellow.

So of course, the Hoover Low D is in the running.

But, my interests really lie with the Native American Flute. So, I don't want to spend too much on a low whistle. $80 for the Hoover would be about the max, and I'd like to see if there are any comments on other, less expensive whistles. Mind you, I KNOW that $80 is not much for a low whistle.

A few I'm thinking about:

Dixon
Comments on this one? I've read comments that they sometimes have intonation problems.

Susato
I've heard that they're notoriously loud. True of their low whistles too? Also, I think I read that the bottom hole is a bit of a reach.

Jubilee
I don't know anything about Daniel's whistles, but the price is in my range on his brass low whistles, and of course the $28 Low D. Comments?

I know you get what you pay for, so I'm not expecting a studio-quality instrument. I'd just like a decent-sounding whistle with breath requirements for a newbie to low whistles, and holes/spacing for medium-sized hands.

Thanks,
Jason
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

My vote: not Susato. In my opinion, Susato need to really work on their low whistles.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

I know this isn't really what you're asking, but you should strongly consider a Non-tuneable Kerry Low D. Phil seems to be out of stock at the moment, but they go for about $120 USD and you get a lot for that extra $40. I understand that this isn't your primary instrument, but the Songbird is an excellent whistle, and it will last a life time. It looks the part, and there are no questions about its quality. I'd rather invest in something like that than in something you may not be all that happy with. I'd put my songbird up against any low whistle out there - on any basis of comparison. It's that good a value.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

canpiper wrote:I know this isn't really what you're asking, but you should strongly consider a Non-tuneable Kerry Low D. Phil seems to be out of stock at the moment, but they go for about $120 USD and you get a lot for that extra $40. I understand that this isn't your primary instrument, but the Songbird is an excellent whistle, and it will last a life time. It looks the part, and there are no questions about its quality. I'd rather invest in something like that than in something you may not be all that happy with. I'd put my songbird up against any low whistle out there - on any basis of comparison. It's that good a value.
And, when you get something of high quality, if you decide it isn't right for you, you can pretty much count on getting most if not all of your money back on resale.

Personally though, I love my Howard.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I would say that David's (from Jubilee) work at that price is a great value. Of course Dixon's aren't bad either.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I was not particularly happy with the Susato low D or the Dixon low D I tried. Both had relatively weak lower ends (though it's been maybe half a decade since I last played a Susato low D). I haven't tried a Jubilee low.
Silvano

Post by Silvano »

Wanderer wrote:....I haven't tried a Jubilee low.
C'mon Daniel. Wanderer is waiting making a review of your whistle....
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

canpiper wrote:I know this isn't really what you're asking, but you should strongly consider a Non-tuneable Kerry Low D. [...] I'd put my songbird up against any low whistle out there - on any basis of comparison. It's that good a value.
I have a Songbird Low D, and I think it's great. It was my first expensive whistle, and I'd never tried a whistle as large as a low D before. The first days were a little bit tought, but I got the hang of it. The spacing isn't any trouble at all, but the E hole is quite large. Just work on you grip, so you don't squeeze around the whistle too hard.

If you go for the Songbird, I don't think you'll regret.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

OK so, I think Susato is out.

Dixon is a possibility, but fading.

Hoover is still in the running.

Jubilee, nobody seems to know much about yet.

Songbird...
Hmmm... It's a nice-looking and sounding whistle from Wanderer's review, and I've seen lots of good comments about it so far. It's a little more than I had planned to spend, but may be doable. I'm not too sure if I'd like a metal mouthpiece though. Also, how hard is a Songbird to get? Are they out of stock often?

Thanks for the replies so far. More comments/suggestions appreciated.

Jason
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

The Songbird mouthpiece is nicely shaped, and you won't even notice it in your mouth. This is the first time I've seen them out of stock, but Phil's site says they should be in anytime.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I've got Susato, Bingamon pvc, and Howard Low D.

I actually don't mind the sound of the Susato. It's good, but not great. Takes a bit of a stretch for the fingers, though not terrible.

The Bingamon/Jubilee has a nice sound. Easy on the hands. It does take a lot of air. Good price. (If you decide to buy this, PM me and maybe we can make a deal.)

The Howard is very good. I like it best of these three. Slightly less stretch than the Susato -- still needs piper's grip. Easy to play with nice 'cosmic drainpipe' sound. I find it seals up more quickly than the Susato on the low end and is generally easier to half-hole. (I saw a used one at Irishflutestore.com for around $75 dollars if you go that way.)
Keith
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

I would second Kieths thoughts on the Howard. I have had mine for a while now and it just gets better and better. The finger stretch was never a problem for me as I play everything with pipers grip but I did find I was not pushing it enough in the second octave. As I have learned what is needed, it has been a real gem. The other low whistle I have is a Shaw low D, that has a real easy finger stretch - being conical I guess. It takes lots of air but has a good sound to it. I tried to get an offer on it at last month, but no one seems to want to bite, maybe folks know more about this one than I do :-?

My vote - go for Howard
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I can also recommend the Howard, however make sure you buy a newer one as the older models (from a few years back) had a slightly different design and didn't play as easily in the upper register.

Loren
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Loren wrote:I can also recommend the Howard, however make sure you buy a newer one as the older models (from a few years back) had a slightly different design and didn't play as easily in the upper register.

Loren
My feelings too. I know that Brian Howard has been working on improving the mouthpiece and has done this several times. I don't have any very recent reports but, if you get an older one, you might be able to get a current mouthpiece direct from him. I have a low C, and, in this price range, it is head and shoulders above the others I've tried.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Mmm, I just realized I also had a Dixon Low D a few years back. That wasn't bad either: I'd say the Dixon is easier to play, but the Howard wins in the tone dept.

Loren