Beginner needs encouragement!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cajordan

Beginner needs encouragement!

Post by cajordan »

Aaargh, learning to play the flute is SO hard!

I can get good tones out of my nice new flute (a Bleazey) for about 5 mins or so, then it all goes quiet and breathy. At this point I stop for a break (and sometimes swab it out 'cos it's pretty damp) uncramp my left hand, walk around and cuss a bit and start up again for another 5 mins (then repeat cycle)

I try and put in a quick 15min. practice before work, and half an hour in the evening every day, but it sometimes feels like I'm going backwards rather than making an progress! ... and when I missed out this weekend I felt like I was back to square one again (I went back to pulling faces in the mirror :-).

I've now been playing about 3 weeks .... please reassure me that it's all going to work out right eventually!

Chris J.
ps Anyone know a wooden flute teacher in Cheshire (UK)
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Stick with it, nearly everyone goes through this at the beginning. Developing your tone and breath control, as well as learning to relax your fingers so they're more nimble, just takes time and practice. You'll get there!

Don't overdo it either. It sometimes helps to take a break for a few days and then tackle it again; I often find that after a few days' rest, things that were hard or impossible before suddenly become easy.
JS

Post by JS »

Chris --

Just hang in there; it'll be fine. I started around a year and a half ago, and it was a year before I felt ready to try a tune or two at the informal and forgiving session I go to, usually as a fiddler. It took that long to get physcially comfortable with the flute as well. (I was dealing with limited practice time for a while too.) Then there was a welcome acceleration, and it got easier and easier to move tunes over from fiddle and to get something like a consistent tone. Part of it (and as a former trumpet player, I should have figured this out) was the time it took to develop an embouchure and to learn how to respond to the instrument. Well worth it.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This is indeed the famous 'idiot phase.'
As far as I can tell, when it comes to flute playing,
the first five years are the hardest.
It's worth it.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

3 weeks, heck I still couldn`t even hold the darn thing stabaly after 3 weeks. It took me months to get a tone without passing out. Relax Chris and don`t push it. The flute is a life long journey with many ups and downs. I`ve been at it for a little over 2 years now and still the times I would like to build a small fire with my flutes outnumber the times I feel like I am getting somewhere. My secret for getting through those first few months was getting a flute that could survive being hurled through half inch thick wall board :)
Take your time, soft breath, don`t blow into the hole breath into it. Your hands will take care of themselves once the muscles get used to working that way. You`ll get it don`t worry. And then the frustration will realy begin :swear:

Take care and good luck

Tom
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi cajordan

Have a look here.

http://www.comhaltas.com/branches/britain.htm

The CCE teaches flute amongst other things. Looks as though Manchester is your nearest branch, but check yourself anyway.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Keep at it you will over come this. We all went through this phase.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Yep, what they're all saying. I'm still fighting it myself. Sometimes I sound pretty good, Other times I sound like the wind through a screen door, lol.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Three weeks isn't long at all to have played any instrument when you think about it. Getting lessons sounds like a good idea. A teacher can keep you encouraged as well as help with the technique and help you see if you are too tense while playing. Don't focus so much on how you want to sound, but on little tiny steps you've made. If you are practicing, you cannot help but get better.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

When I was first learning I took a hint from Ciaran Carson. I played lieing down flat on my back. Not only do you develop really good breath and lung control, but it doesn't hurt when you hyperventilate and fall down.

Seriously, it worked for me. Keep at it. It's worth it in the end.

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

jim stone wrote:This is indeed the famous 'idiot phase.'
As far as I can tell, when it comes to flute playing,
the first five years are the hardest.
It's worth it.
I'm still in the idiot phase. I hope to graduate to the awkward years before too long, and eventually be able to put a four-piece flute together right on the first try. Still having trouble figuring out where the little piece goes.

Honestly, after three weeks, if you can play standing up for 15 minutes, you're making good progress.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i'm only a couple of months ahead of you. my goal now is to be able to pick up the flute and start playing without finding the sweet spot. i'm almost there. in the beginning when breathing was such an issue, i would practice during tv commercials. believe me, once the 2 minutes of ads were done, so was i.

let us know which song you first play in all its entirety without running out of air.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lambchop

Re: Beginner needs encouragement!

Post by Lambchop »

cajordan wrote:Aaargh, learning to play the flute is SO hard!

I can get good tones out of my nice new flute (a Bleazey) for about 5 mins or so, then it all goes quiet and breathy. At this point I stop for a break (and sometimes swab it out 'cos it's pretty damp) uncramp my left hand, walk around and cuss a bit and start up again for another 5 mins (then repeat cycle)
There is a lot that goes into playing flute. Your body has to learn a lot of little things and then it has to put them all together. Getting it all together takes some time.

Focus on incremental improvement, rather than on the end goal. Be aware that there will be longish periods without any noticeable improvement at all! So, as long as you're just doing your thing every day, it's ok.

Your playing time will increase as your embouchure and grip improve. It's like any kind of athletic endeavor, I think. At first you can't hold out very long, but you develop muscles and then you can go longer.

Now, about that going breathy after a few minutes . . . I had the same problem. A very kind Chiffer (Cat) suggested that it might be . . . the moisture in the flute.

As you've already noticed, your flute becomes very wet. The moisture can interfere with the sound. A drop of water hanging on a tone hole, or dripping from the roof, or--the problem with one of my flutes--a puddle in the headjoint can cause havoc.

Usually, I find that I can play for about 5 minutes, then the moisture build-up interferes. At first, I swabbed it out, but the problem recurred in 5 minutes. Now, I just blow it out or shake it, and I hold it open end down, and roll it or tap the headjoint lightly while I'm doing things like fooling with sheet music, etc. Anything to get the moisture flowing toward the open end, so that it doesn't puddle up or drip from the roof.

Once it's good and wet, droplets don't seem to form. There is a thin layer of liquid on the inside of the flute and additional moisture flows out more easily. Swabbing it might remove that thin layer, but blowing it out doesn't.

The problem will be worse if it's chilly and humid, and with plastic or Delrin, and with metal-lined heads. It helps on synthetics to use a bit of Duponol or dishwasher rinse agent to reduce the surface tension--you get less droplet build up that way.

Have patience with yourself. Flute takes longer, but it's worth it. Right now, you can't see progress clearly because you're so far from the goal, but in 6 months, you'll suddenly realize how far you've come. Just keep at it bit by bit.

I second the suggestion for playing during commercials and in breaks between other activities! That really does work! It gives you lots of little bits of practice, which is what you need at this point.
cajordan

Post by cajordan »

First off, thanks for all the replies ... general encouragement, specifics etc. (The flute players in the session that I visit all make it look so easy ... and I'm probably spoilt by playing the concertina - you push/pull and it makes music!)
Blackbeer wrote: ..... My secret for getting through those first few months was getting a flute that could survive being hurled through half inch thick wall board :)
Take your time, soft breath, don`t blow into the hole breath into it.
Tom
LOL - no way am I going to throw my pretty wooden flute around!
I think the breathing over the hole is good - I've had one lesson with a classical flautist using a borrowed plastic flute and she spent a lot of time trying get loud notes, now I'm aiming at good notes rather than loud, seems to be better.
BigDavy wrote: The CCE teaches flute amongst other things. Looks as though Manchester is your nearest branch, but check yourself anyway.
David
My hubby tried the Manchester CCE quite a few years ago when he was looking for Irish fiddle - there wasn't anything much going at the time, but it may be worth another look.
Sliabh Luachra wrote:When I was first learning I took a hint from Ciaran Carson. I played lieing down flat on my back. Not only do you develop really good breath and lung control, but it doesn't hurt when you hyperventilate and fall down.
Mark
Now that sounds strange... but logical (and probably safer than placing a few cushions round you) I must give it a try.
I went swimming this morning and decided that I'd try to do breathing practice too.... breathe out slowly for as long as you can, then take a really deep fast breath. May be it'll help - especially the big breath in.
mutepointe wrote:...in the beginning when breathing was such an issue, i would practice during tv commercials. believe me, once the 2 minutes of ads were done, so was i.

let us know which song you first play in all its entirety without running out of air.
I'm taking the flute to work and if I get 5 minutes with an empty office, I try a few notes ... but the sound carries a fair way :-)
I have a couple of tunes that I'm practicing with (though mostly I do notes and scales and things ... slowly!) Oddly enough they seem to be from the "oddments" part of my tune list, rather than the Irish.
Theme Vannitaise - sits nicely on the bottom octave
Bear Dance (both these 2 are sort of Morris)
A Carolan tune that I can't remember the name of
Horses Branle.
Lambchop wrote: Now, about that going breathy after a few minutes . . . I had the same problem. A very kind Chiffer (Cat) suggested that it might be . . . the moisture in the flute.
thanks for those tips - I was finding that swabbing out helped ... for another 5mins ... but it could also be that having a few minutes break helps! I'll try your tips of blowing or shaking and see if that goes better _ I gave the flute a serious oiling as recommended - maybe that's encouraging beading. I assume that if/when I can play for longer at a time, the wood will warm up better as well and not get so wet.

Thanks again all!
Last edited by cajordan on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinkyirl

me too!

Post by pinkyirl »

hi chris

I've only been learning for 4 months & have the exact same problems with tone - my tunes start off beautifully & halfway through the tone degenerates into raspy breathing noises & nothing more!

i'm finding it really hard to relax my hands so the end of every tune is a HUGE relief when i can drop the flute on the ground & massage my poor hands. my pinky finger on my right hand INSISTS on jamming itself rigidly against the flute - the more i try to relax it, the more it jams - and this causes a burning sensation to rage up the muscle on the side of my hand - adding to the overall agony.

no-one told me flute playing would be physically arduous! :D

i know that practice and time will heal all these agonies and as i gain confidence with playing, i'll naturally relax a bit more anyway - just wish it would hurry up!

i do remember how hopeless i felt at the start though, when i'd struggle through a tune & my teacher would then play it amazingly, leaving the lesson in despair thinking "i'm NEVER gonna be able to play like that" - but i'm getting there slowly.

hang on in there - beginners of the world unite!

xxy