Keep my car - Buy a mid-priced whistle instead

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Keep my car - Buy a mid-priced whistle instead

Post by dwinterfield »

Once again I've decided to put off replacing my reliable but boring Camry.

So instead, I scanned the expensive whistle page. Actually, I think it's time for a new mid-priced whistle. I have several Burkes and play the brass black tip every day. I also have a Rosewood Busman that I play several times a week. I have the usual assortment of generations, susatos, oaks, feadogs etc.

As I scanned the reviews, I realized there are a bunch of high D whistles in $50-$100 range that I've never tried. The makers that caught my attention and Humphrey, Bartlett - Black Diamond, Parkhurst, Alba, Dixon, Silkstone and Reyburn.

I'd welcome any suggestions about what you like among these makers and why. Have I overlooked someone? My assumption is they are all good whistles, in tune etc. I also think it's the players, not the makers, who can best describe their personalities.

Thanks in advance
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

I think someone just did a review of the new Humphrey Journeyman whisltes...
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=36772
khl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

You might consider an O'Brien whistle. Nice sound and enjoyable to play.

Here's his website and there are clips there:
http://www.obrienwhistles.com/

You can get a whole set of these within the price you're looking for.
Keith
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

khl wrote:You might consider an O'Brien whistle. Nice sound and enjoyable to play.
I have a couple of Dave's early whistles and like them. While I'm not looking for another one now, it's interesting to watch the progress of his products, new materials etc. These are nice whistles and were an absolute steal at the early prices. While the prices are rising, it appears that the whistles are too. Good deal all around.
shadeclan

Re: Keep my car - Buy a mid-priced whistle instead

Post by shadeclan »

dwinterfield wrote: . . . Have I overlooked someone? . . .
How about a tweaked whistle? Jerry Freeman has some really great sounding whistles.

Of course, I am biased, being a Jerry Freeman fanatic! :boggle:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I've had my Reyburn nearly 7 months now. I wrote a review when I first got it at http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=30213

I re-read that review to see if the glowing endorsement was honeymoon induced. Well, I haven't changed my mind - seven months (and several whistles) later and the review is not overstated (and my playing has improved).

Several whistles have gone through my stable since I bought the Reyburn. The two that always, and still, are in the top three played Sop D whistles are the Thin Weasel and the Reyburn. Accompanying them in the top three right now is a bumped and tarnished Burke Session Bore Brass from 2003 that I just picked up in a trade - it's comfy like a pair of worn jeans.

I'd say, go for the Reyburn, and have a nice long chat with Ronaldo about exactly what you want.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
scheky

Post by scheky »

It sounds to me like you have enough D whistles. Try another Key. Bb, A, G...branch out a little.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

My vote is for the Black Diamond High D, the only Whsitle I have that I liek more is a Sindt C. Of course Humphreys are supposed to be really good. I have an Alba High D that I am looking to sell at the lower end of your price range PM or email me if you want it. By the way Sindts are just at the top of your price range and you might like them, of course I prefer the BD to a Sindt D.
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

I loves me my Dixons! I loves them goooood!

The sound is great! It's crisp, pure, and strong up into the bottom of the third octive! The chiff is minimal as are the breath requirements. I just wish it was a little louder in the lower octive, I could barely hear myself at my last session. Now I wish Dixon would make a session whistle, then all would be right with the world. :lol:

So if you're looking for a good solo wihstle, I'd recommend Dixon.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

Don't forget Granite Falls Manufacturing, Chuck Tilbury's whistles. Medium priced but as good as high priced whistles I have tried. Wonderful precise intonation and even playing throughout the registers. And constantly improving.

Oreo Phil
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Oreo wrote:Don't forget Granite Falls Manufacturing, Chuck Tilbury's whistles. Medium priced but as good as high priced whistles I have tried. Wonderful precise intonation and even playing throughout the registers. And constantly improving.

Oreo Phil
I second this, GFM has become my favorite whistle and has taken preference over several more expensive whistles.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin