ITM and ???

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
KateG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

ITM and ???

Post by KateG »

We all know that ITM is the core of the wooden flute repetoire. But what else does it shine at? I use mine for old timey fiddle tunes, especially when my musical friends get cranked up to the point where I can't hear my mt. dulcimer -- or fret it that fast. But the simple system flute is such a wonderful instrument, there's got to be more out there. Please share.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I would say it works real well in Breton music, that is kind of a given though. It also works really well in Galcian/Asturian music where it is seldom heard in bands that play that type of music.

Whereabouts in Jeresey do you live? I would consider my area Northwest also.
eilam

Post by eilam »

i play old timey fiddle tunes all the time.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Old time tunes, classical such as Bach, and ragtime.

Eric
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

With keys, an "Irish" flute could work really well for early music. Or even w/o keys - ask Chris Norman.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Blues, rock n' roll, country, bluegrass, gershwin,
ballads.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Wormdiet wrote:With keys, an "Irish" flute could work really well for early music. Or even w/o keys - ask Chris Norman.
Yeah, I wouldn't even necessarily say that ITM is the core of the wooden flute repertoire. It tends to be the focus of this group, but there's a lot of Baroque and other music that was written for the wooden flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

In my opinion, simple system flutes (flutes without keys) are underrated. I think that they are wonderful and capable of playing many types of music. With larger finger holes, allowing for slurs and half-holing, simple-system flutes are chromatic and, because of their responsiveness, make keyed flutes feel clunky in comparison.

Tonight I played "Stardust" on both my simple-system pvc flute and a silver flute. With the simple system flute I could express what I was feeling about this piece. With the silver flute with all of the keys I merely played the notes.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

here's a snippet of something a lttle 'different' ....

http://www.savefile.com/files/3924608
michaelblackwell

Post by michaelblackwell »

Once I got a keyed flute a lot of music opened up for me; especially Canadian where you need G# and F natuarl alot (lots of great tunes in both Portland collections), and Swedish stuff from Groupa, Bask, Boot, Alwa, Swap, Spar and Vasen. By the way, Goran Mansson of Spar and Jonas Simonson of Groupa and Bask are great flute players. And Old Timey, and Teleman's 12 flute fantasias when I just want to pursue the flute by myself, and ........then its back to Irish.

For me the kind of flute music depends on who is around to play with. But the wooden flute is a very willing instrument. Several years ago a New Mexico based group called Bayou Seco traveled to southern Arizona and brought back a bunch of tunes from the Tohono O'odham people. Tunes like Purple Lillies, Sonora Church Two-Step, and Biscuit Cheeks. Lots of the tunes are crooked and the flute can make great harmonies above the fiddles. So much fun! A bit like old timey meets German om pah polka.
-Michael
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

rama wrote:here's a snippet of something a lttle 'different' ....

Yes, it's beautiful. It reminds me of the keyless bansuri flutes played in India.
KateG

Post by KateG »

I knew ITM was the tip of the iceberg!!! You've given me some great ideas. The Portland collection volumes are in our library, and I know I've still got Teleman in my old collection of recorder music. But Gershwin, ooooh -- though I may have to wait till I get my hands on a keyed flute.

Avery -- from my perspective, Randolph is "Down Below" :D, I live up in Sussex County between Newton & Blairstown (within walking distance of the suspended Mt. Brook sessiun). I was hoping to make the sessiun in Randolph this Friday, but my husband is having eye surgery that day so it won't happen. But perhaps I'll see you there in March.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

rama wrote:here's a snippet of something a lttle 'different' ....

Very nice!
Makes me want to go meditate :tantrum: ...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

KateG wrote: Avery -- from my perspective, Randolph is "Down Below" :D, I live up in Sussex County between Newton & Blairstown (within walking distance of the suspended Mt. Brook sessiun). I was hoping to make the sessiun in Randolph this Friday, but my husband is having eye surgery that day so it won't happen. But perhaps I'll see you there in March.
So you live up there. Check out this post that might be close to you, I can't do Sundays usually, but I was hoping to make that one on the 19th as I am free that particular day. The Rockaway Session (it is in Rockaway not Randolph) is usually pretty packed, in Jan. we had 30 musicians show up and a bunch of Punters. Don't miss the one in March we have Mike Rafferty hosting and the April one has LE McCollough hosting. Of course Linda is hosting this Friday and the last one she hosted was apparently great (the one IAANJ session that I missed). Maybe I will see you in March.
KateG

Post by KateG »

Avery wrote:
So you live up there. Check out this post that might be close to you, I can't do Sundays usually, but I was hoping to make that one on the 19th as I am free that particular day. The Rockaway Session (it is in Rockaway not Randolph) is usually pretty packed, in Jan. we had 30 musicians show up and a bunch of Punters. Don't miss the one in March we have Mike Rafferty hosting and the April one has LE McCollough hosting. Of course Linda is hosting this Friday and the last one she hosted was apparently great (the one IAANJ session that I missed). Maybe I will see you in March.
I got a PM about the Dingman's session; it's about the same distance as Rockaway (I sit corrected) but I'm hoping I can get a PA fiddler friend and her husband to meet us there. Linda's sessions are great, I wish I could go this Friday but it just won't work. GRRR. However, it sounds like the March and April ones are not to be missed. So if I don't see you in Dingmans later this month, I'll see you in March. Look for gray-haired lady with flute & mountain dulcimer. Unfortunately, I can't wear my avatar Viking brooch for ID 'cause its in the hands of a lutier who's using it as a pattern for the soundholes for my new dulcimer instead of plain Celtic knots.