Got my first set of Uillean Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Borderpiper
antispam: No

Got my first set of Uillean Pipes

Post by Borderpiper »

Finally got my first set of uillean pipes on friday. They are the B C Childress set advertised on ebay last month. The set seems okay for a starter set though I don't like the bellows.

I have a problem with them though, I can't seem to get above a high G. I have had a look at the reed and I was thinking of making up a new bridle to see if that would help. I don't like the fact that there is sellotape on the reed though. :-?

Anyone know where to get a good chanter reed and drone reeds in Scotland or UK? The drone reeds are brass and plastic ones which I don't like.

Dave
Doogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doogie »

Joseph E. Smith

Re: Got my first set of Uillean Pipes

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Borderpiper wrote:
Anyone know where to get a good chanter reed and drone reeds in Scotland or UK? The drone reeds are brass and plastic ones which I don't like.

Dave
Try Alan Burton in Cornwall http://www.reedshaman.co.uk/. He's a reed God of tremendous reputation. The composite reeds that Bruce Childress makes are great, if it were me, I'd be inclined to use them.

As far as the chanter reed goes, you will need to let it set for a good week or so (and maybe a bit more even), and allow it to acclimate to its new home environment. Often, that's all you need to do. Don't be hasty and start mucking with it until you are 100% certain it really needs adjustment. Also, bear in mind that it is still deep into winter, and the reed has to deal with that.

It is also not uncommon for newcomers to the UPs to experience difficulty with the second octave... give it time and practice.

Congratulations on the delivery of your new set! :party:

whoops, I see doogie beat me to it. :D
josh perkins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by josh perkins »

Welcome to all sorts of reed-based "fun" that the border pipes, in my experience, do not "enjoy". Good luck.
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: As far as the chanter reed goes, you will need to let it set for a good week or so (and maybe a bit more even), and allow it to acclimate to its new home environment. Often, that's all you need to do. Don't be hasty and start mucking with it until you are 100% certain it really needs adjustment. Also, bear in mind that it is still deep into winter, and the reed has to deal with that.

It is also not uncommon for newcomers to the UPs to experience difficulty with the second octave... give it time and practice.
I second Joseph's comments. It's quite likely that Angus is more humid than the US where these pipes originated. The reed could have opened up a little making it harder to play, especially in the top 8ve. Give it a few days, but you may need to close the lips a little by squeezing the bridle top and bottom.

I had a Childress set that I sold very recently. and the I recall that the first couple of chanter reeds had tape on the edges, I assume to prevent leaks, so maybe that's how Bruce does it. I got the set re-reeded before I sold it and the new reed did not have tape however. Bruce installed his compsite drone reeds which I found very stable and reliable, although I do prefer the sound of cane drone reeds.

If you do want to get a new chanter reed why not order one from Bruce. If you get someone else to make one, I also recall reading that he designed the chanter to work with a brass tubing staple, so a conical rolled staple may not work so well.
Simon
Borderpiper

Post by Borderpiper »

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep playing and see if they settle down. I know the composite reeds are more stable but I much prefer the sound of cane.
glands

Post by glands »

I don't know of anyone who could "play" above the high g on their first set of Uilleann Pipes immediately after their receipt. Give it some time.
anima

Post by anima »

There is definitely some technique to getting the notes above high G. Try venting the G (leaving your G finger off the hole) when going from high G to high A or high B. A lot of folks will do this by"running up" to A with a triplet.

Most likely there is nothing wrong with your reed, it's probably you. I have found that the better I get, the more I understand the instrument and the techniques of playing it, the fewer instances I have to blame the reed.

Jeff
Last edited by anima on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teirw

reeds

Post by teirw »

You could get a reed within days from www.howardmusic.co.uk from a maker who has been a full time professional for over 30 years and there aren't many of those with that sort of customer service that I've heard of.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: reeds

teirw wrote:You could get a reed within days from www.howardmusic.co.uk from a maker who has been a full time professional for over 30 years and there aren't many of those with that sort of customer service that I've heard of.
If you want a reed to work perfectly in your chanter, that reed must be made specifically for your chanter... which means sending it in to Brian Howard or whomever you choose to do the job. There is no such animal as a "Universal Uilleann Pipe Reed". Though sometimes, I wish that there were. :D
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

Borderpiper wrote:I have had a look at the reed and I was thinking of making up a new bridle to see if that would help.
The reed will call to you like the Borg Queen. It will say "Adjust me...
Resistance is Futile..." But resist her you must!

Yours truly,
Third of Five
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
gerrymceltic

Post by gerrymceltic »

Reepicheep wrote:
Borderpiper wrote:I have had a look at the reed and I was thinking of making up a new bridle to see if that would help.

Yours truly,
Third of Five
But could you resist 7 of 9.
Joseph E. Smith

gerrymceltic wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Yours truly,
Third of Five
Hell no! :D
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Your not far frae Jim Daily in Glasgow!! :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

gerrymceltic wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Yours truly,
Third of Five
"I'm a married spud, I'm a married spud..."
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."