white rose

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

white rose

Post by Jack »

I was wondering around a darkened, quiet chapel last night, and in the garbage can something caught my eye. A pure white rose was in the garbage. It had just started to wilt, so somebody had obviously given up on it and thrown it away.

I took it out of the garbage can, brought it home with me, re-cut the stem length-wise, and put it into some fish tank water in a cup, to see if I couldn't "tweak" a few more hours or days of beauty from it. This morning I woke up to this:

I think it's pretty pretty.

Trying to glean some deeper meaning, I also think we often treat life like the person before me treated the rose: we give up long long before the battle's been lost. We have to keep "fighting" and we can have pretty white roses if we keep at it and don't give up so easily.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A very nice sentiment.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Brightened my morning a bit. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

There is a downside to being a perpetual rescuer, whether it is with plants, animals, or people. Cran, like yourself, I hate to see plants being disposed of carelessly, just because we no longer have a need for them. A typical example of plants that are often disposed of are Christmas poinsettias. Shortly after Christmas I see them in the trash all over the city. I know that I can't take them because I have two tables in my living room that are filled with poinsettias from past years. They no longer have the red leaves, but they do have red stems. I have one old poinsettia that is five feet tall. It now has completely taken over a south-facing window.

I knew a woman in Tucson that rescued stray cats. I met her because I was looking for a home for several cats that had belonged to my neighbor who had moved and left his cats. I'm sure that the lady had started out with just a few cats, but when I met her, the cats had taken over her house, which luckily was out of town in the desert.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Doug_Tipple wrote:There is a downside to being a perpetual rescuer, whether it is with plants, animals, or people. Cran, like yourself, I hate to see plants being disposed of carelessly, just because we no longer have a need for them. A typical example of plants that are often disposed of are Christmas poinsettias. Shortly after Christmas I see them in the trash all over the city. I know that I can't take them because I have two tables in my living room that are filled with poinsettias from past years. They no longer have the red leaves, but they do have red stems. I have one old poinsettia that is five feet tall. It now has completely taken over a south-facing window.

I knew a woman in Tucson that rescued stray cats. I met her because I was looking for a home for several cats that had belonged to my neighbor who had moved and left his cats. I'm sure that the lady had started out with just a few cats, but when I met her, the cats had taken over her house, which luckily was out of town in the desert.
I also collect stray cats (Don't tell Lambchop, but I have 64½ in my dorm right now and I store 7 more in a hole in the ground outside). ;)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lovely rose, cran :) I am partial to white ones.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Cranberry wrote:I also collect stray cats (Don't tell Lambchop, but I have 64½ in my dorm right now and I store 7 more in a hole in the ground outside). ;)
Hey Cran, better move that 1/2 cat into the hole ;)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I wonder what the story behind the flower is.

It is a pity that roses have been cultivated mostly for their looks and their
smell and the flavor of their fruit (rose hips) were neglected.

Rose hips.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: white rose

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:Trying to glean some deeper meaning, I also think we often treat life like the person before me treated the rose: we give up long long before the battle's been lost. We have to keep "fighting" and we can have pretty white roses if we keep at it and don't give up so easily.
I agree.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Re: white rose

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Trying to glean some deeper meaning, I also think we often treat life like the person before me treated the rose: we give up long long before the battle's been lost. We have to keep "fighting" and we can have pretty white roses if we keep at it and don't give up so easily.
I agree.
That's because you're right. :)

(I believe God sent me the rose to brighten my day, and that it had to come from the garbage can in order to convey the deeper message to me: if somebody had simply handed me the rose, it would have been a completely different message I got. I feel blessed, and eventually I'm going to dry this rose out and keep it. :))