Whistle Block-Today has been a bad day...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SilverStrand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Block-Today has been a bad day...

Post by SilverStrand »

Is it just me or do you have your good and bad days when playing your whistle?

I have gotten down the Exile's Jig and in the excitement of getting down all the notes, I played it over and over again yesterday...almost flawlessly.

I was craving to play that tune today at work but, alas, when I get home, picked up my whistle, and played...I just plain sucked!!! I feel as if I had forgotten the notes and my rhythm was just....ick.

Anyone else get that?
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I definitely have "off" days.

Sometimes the fingers just won't listen.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Chief Wanganui

Re: Whistle Block-Today has been a bad day...

Post by Chief Wanganui »

SilverStrand wrote:Is it just me or do you have your good and bad days when playing your whistle?

I have gotten down the Exile's Jig and in the excitement of getting down all the notes, I played it over and over again yesterday...almost flawlessly.

I was craving to play that tune today at work but, alas, when I get home, picked up my whistle, and played...I just plain sucked!!! I feel as if I had forgotten the notes and my rhythm was just....ick.

Anyone else get that?
My teacher at music college used to say that once you had got your head round a piece, it's time to start on "muscle memory". To this end, he suggested I place a copy of the newspaper on the music stand and read it whlst playing difficult pieces. This stops your brain dwelling on how tricky the piece is and frees your fingers (who already know how to play it, as they've done it before) to repeat the piece over and over, free of any brain-induced sabotage. Nowadays I often practise in front of some drivel on the telly.
That Scottish Git.
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

That's a good bit of advice chief - I used to walk round and round my house playing my guitar to learn things - I'll give the TV thing a go - better-yet I'll read COntraversial topics on C&F!

BTW Silverstrand - where are you sourcing Exiles-Jig? The only bits I can find online seem to be wrong - I'm using the Alan Stivell recording and trying to translate from harp. This is like THE TUNE that has brought me back to ITM and it's been very frustrating finding versions :-?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
WhistlinBob

Post by WhistlinBob »

I seem to have more mediocre days than great ones.
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

Mitch wrote:That's a good bit of advice chief - I used to walk round and round my house playing my guitar to learn things - I'll give the TV thing a go - better-yet I'll read COntraversial topics on C&F!

BTW Silverstrand - where are you sourcing Exiles-Jig? The only bits I can find online seem to be wrong - I'm using the Alan Stivell recording and trying to translate from harp. This is like THE TUNE that has brought me back to ITM and it's been very frustrating finding versions :-?
I first heard the Exile's Jig on the album 'Greatest Irish Songs' and Sweeney's Men perform the tune. And I found a similiar version on the session.org:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/1327

Is that perhaps the version you were looking for? If not...I want to hear that other version.
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I had a good day playing the whistle in 1998. That was about it.

Dale
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

WhistlinBob wrote: I seem to have more mediocre days than great ones.
Must be all those shots in the head from your whistle instructor! :lol:

One of the joys of being an infernal newbie (with no instructor) is that I haven't learned enough to tell whether or not I'm playing well - no, I don't want to spoil it by recording myself! :D

Chief Wanganui wrote:
. . . To this end, he suggested I place a copy of the newspaper on the music stand and read it whlst playing difficult pieces. This stops your brain dwelling on how tricky the piece is and frees your fingers (who already know how to play it, as they've done it before) to repeat the piece over and over, free of any brain-induced sabotage. Nowadays I often practise in front of some drivel on the telly.
That really is good advice.
I have picked up so much good info just hanging out here at the Chiffboard. Thanks, all.

Dale "The Undisputed" Wisely wrote: I had a good day playing the whistle in 1998. That was about it.
Given his passion for all things whistle, I'll lay odds that "The Undisputed" is selling himself short . . .
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I have half a bad day every evening. I usually play for 10-20 minutes before I go to work in the morning and I am usually pleased with my playing. In the evening, after I have spent 6-7 hours in front of a computer my hands are shot. I'll try to play and after 5 minutes I'll be making so many basic, elementary goofs that I just quit for the day. In fact, I gauge how tired my arms are by how many mistakes I'm making. It's a good thing I don't have to make my living playing the whistle.
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

For me, any day playing the whistle is a helluva better day than not. *insert emphatic smiley here*

Dale, I like your Million Little Whistles avatar. Not to dispute The Undisputed, but are you sure you really have a million little whistles or are you just lavishly embellishing the truth to gain notoriety?
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Emphatically and undeniably yes, I have good and bad whistle days, and beyond that, I have good and bad whistle months I think.

I will occasionally play a tune and say to myself "just stop now...you're not going to play anything better than that today".

And then something will happen, and suddenly I can't reliably hit high notes without screwing something up, or a tune that I have had note perfect for months suddenly won't come into my fingers.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bad whistle days, bad fiddle days, bad hair days, bad dog days...you name it.
dapple

Post by dapple »

Nowadays I often practise in front of some drivel on the telly.
I do that, too, with the closed caption turned on. I read and play at the same time. The diversion helps my fingering to be more relaxed because I am not concentrating so hard on playing. At the same time, it makes me feel like a less serious whistler for doing so.
~ David
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

emmline wrote:Bad whistle days, bad fiddle days, bad hair days, bad dog days...you name it.
I just washed my fiddle and I can't do a thing with it! :lol:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
I.D.10-t

Re: Whistle Block-Today has been a bad day...

Post by I.D.10-t »

Chief Wanganui wrote:
SilverStrand wrote:Is it just me or do you have your good and bad days when playing your whistle?

Anyone else get that?
My teacher at music college used to say that once you had got your head round a piece, it's time to start on "muscle memory". To this end, he suggested I place a copy of the newspaper on the music stand and read it whlst playing difficult pieces. This stops your brain dwelling on how tricky the piece is and frees your fingers (who already know how to play it, as they've done it before) to repeat the piece over and over, free of any brain-induced sabotage. Nowadays I often practise in front of some drivel on the telly.
Doesn’t this kind of take any feeling out of a musical piece (both for you and the listener)? I just love it when I get lost playing O’Connell's Lamentation or Lovely Nancy, or on a bad day playing a few songs where I can really pound that high A on my fife.

Boy, I sound like a flake.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."