If the right price came along...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Is there a price somewhere out there that would make you sell your whistles?

Yes most definitely
54%
Not a chance in heck
14%
Depends...
32%

Total votes: 37

ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

If the right price came along...

Post by ShadowBG625 »

What I'm trying to say is could you put a pricetag on your whistles? For me, the answer's up in the air. If someone offered the right price for my Syn set, I may be tempted with taking them up on the offer. However, if someone...somewhere...offered me $100 for my Dixon, forget it. If they offered me 8 Walton's for my one, forget it. I guess it all depends on sentimental value and such. Anyone else feel the same/differently, other?
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

Some of us keep onto a few whistles and now and again clear out what we haven't played in ages. Keeps the funding going to continue to try new things.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

scheky wrote:Some of us keep onto a few whistles and now and again clear out what we haven't played in ages. Keeps the funding going to continue to try new things.
I must be the opposite. I've never sold / gotten rid of a whistle. Well, I gave a friend a cheapie I had two of, once. But I tend to hold on to them with a vengeance. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i haven't found that special whistle yet.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Some of these polls are harder than others
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

If the price was high enough to replace the one I was selling- plus buy a few others of equal or greater value- sure, why not. You did say any price didn't you?
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm probably going to sell most of my whistles. But there are a few I'll be keeping. All of my Weasels, partly because they can't be replaced, but mostly because they're just my favorite whistles. Wilson Woods D, because it's a fine whistle that can't be replaced. Bleazey and Busman D's, just because I like 'em. I think everything else except some cheapies will probably go over the next couple of years.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My complete set of Generation whistles, absolutely not. They are well played in and modified to fine tune.

I have a couple I might part with: An Oak D whistle, and an old Soodlum that was my "car whistle", used for figuring out certain embellishments and such during really long traffic lights. I would not know what price to put on them however, as they both have tremendous sentimental value to me.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I never ever would sell my Feadóg since it was the instrument that started everything.
But I would sell my Gens except the Bb and Eb one since I tweaked them to be VERY good whistles.
My Walton's is a nice thingie, but I'd sell it, I think.
My Bleazey...do I have to say anything about that? ;)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The only whistle I wouldn't sell is the cheapie hand rolled, wooden fippled, unplayable above second octave G, souvenir whistle I bought for my son at Colonial Williamsburg. That was the whistle that got me started.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Interpreted literally, I'd obviously sell all my whistles since, if the price were high enough, I could buy every whistle in the world I don't own, pay off my mortgage and still show a healthy profit.

I voted 'it depends' since I'm sure that's not what you mean. I guess you mean 'realistic price.' Here there are several whistles that I would not sell except for well over the going rate for items of their kind. These are whistles that are not only very good, they are either special to me in some sense or they are of makes that I regard is highly variable in quality. Whistles noted for consistency like Overtons, Burkes and Sindts I'd sell for more than the going price, even if they are favourites, since I'd expect to be able to pick up another just as good without much trouble. But you'd have to offer me enough to make the search for a replacement worthwhile.

Since I'm not that keen on selling whistles at a great profit, I guess that means that there are several whistles I wouldn't sell.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

It would depend on the whistle. My Busman ironwood whistles, besides being excellent whistles, have great sentimental value due to the source of the wood. I probably would not sell them unless offered enough to pay off my mortgage. My other whistles, however, I might sell for the price of a new car. :D
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Not Yes,

but HELL YEAH.

Considering that I am really a fluter, and none of my whistles cost more than $15, is that really surprising? I'm only vaguely emotionally attached to my gen Bb.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Really interesting question...

All whistles of the same make and model are not created equal. They don't feel the same, sound the same, or play the same...I have been fortunate over a lot of years to be able to compare different examples...of different models...in different materials...in different keys...from different whistle smiths. I have sold many excellent examples, and have kept the ones I feel are best, in the keys I need.

I really would not want to sell any of my modest, resulting collection. They are truly the best of a good lot...

Happy Tuesday.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

I voted "It Depends" because I would only sell whistles that could be replaced.

I am still in the early stages of WhOA, so I haven't reached the point where I need to hoard whistles . . . :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler