Whistling poll!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sara »

Hello everyone!!!

So, during the past year I have been keeping a list of the number of songs/tunes I can play on the whistle. After a year's time I can play 31 tunes, 10 of which I've learned by ear. I was wondering how that compares to the number of tunes other whistlers have learned in year. I'm doing this poll so I can get an idea of how I'm doing compared to others.

Looking forward to hearing responses!
Sara
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Oh, golly. Pre-salt lake city, I could probably think of 5 or 6 tunes off the top of my head when I wanted to play something. Post-SLC, that's probably jumped to about 10 or 12. And all learned by ear.

I should add that I know how more tunes go, but haven't tried to play them much. Could probably pick them out if it was a life or death whistling situation :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-08-01 10:43 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Sara,

that sounds pretty good to me. I'll have been playing (whistle) for about a year too, and I don't think I have 31 tunes learnt.

What tunes do you have learnt? Do you play sets, or individual tunes.

I have about 8 or 10 slow airs, 9-12 polkas, 3 jigs/slides, 2 reels (dodgy) and four or 5 hornpipes that need work.

My time taken to learn a tune is improving though, so in another year I bet you'll have over a hundred tunes at your fingertips, literally!

For a yaer before that I was playing Mandolin, and learnt about 40 tunes, but some of those are still wobbly, and I would have trouble playing them now.

Oddly, there's very little overlap between my whistle and my Mando tunes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2002-08-01 10:52 ]</font>
selkie

Post by selkie »

That sounds good. Because of memory problems I can only play with music and can play about the same number but with very little ornamentation. However, I have to split my practise time between a 6 keyed flute as well. Wish there were more hours in the day:-)
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

31 tunes in a year isn't bad..It's about a tune every week and a half.

This is about my current average, also, just add more years. :wink: I took a large hiatus about a year before my son was born, which actually makes me average about a tune every 2 weeks.

Some tunes are quick to learn (I learned the song "The Mermaid" in like 5 minutes, by ear). Others take me longer--after two weeks, I still can't quite play the B part of mooncoin jig at session without faltering. I got most of Off to California while playing with NancyF and her husband at SAMfest. It averages out.

I dunno how a tune every week and a half compares with other whistlers, but that pace seems to impress a lot of the non-whistlers at my session.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

I don' t know if the number of tunes you know says something about your progress. I am a quick but lazy learner, so after 7 years of ITM I know about 200 tunes or so. A friend of mine, who is a flute player, has been playing for about 3 years and knows about every tune you could think of and probably some more. Still, his playing technique is, well, immature and does not really stand up to his repertoire.

Christian
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I'm not exactly sure what it means to "know" or even to "play" a tune. Everything I'm working on is in various stages of being <I>known</I> (sorta like those annoying web pages which boast that they're constantly "under construction"). Over the past three months, I've gotten around 60 tunes lodged in my memory, roughly 10 of which I fancy I can play fairly decently. Of the other 50 or so, I can "play at" them without any "mistakes" (whatever that means), and reasonably up to tempo, but they're not quite <I>there</I> yet.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

That's a good start!

Well, I've been playing for almost 3 years now, and as of right now I know probably on average....oh.... (digs out resume/repertoire list) 169 some tunes? and probably about 10-20 of those that I've learned by ear (I'm just starting to learn to play by ear).... so if you rounded to 170 (make the math easier... :grin:) then divided by 3....it'd make it about 56 tunes per year.
However, you don't always learn the same amount of tunes every year.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Sara, I'm like you about watching my own progress compared to others to see if I should be pushing myself more. I've been playing just about a year, too. People here say that a tune a week is good progress and I feel that way myself, so I set it as my goal. I've got thirty-five tunes down to muscle memory now, but some of them take a bit of rehearsing before I can play them all the way through without any note "typos". A handful of tunes in my repertoire have at least five parts to them because my fiddler friend wanted us to learn them. Otherwise I may well have learned more shorter tunes....I practice at least an hour a day, usually over two, and I am very well aware of how much my ornamentation needs finessing! And only half of the tunes I know can I play as quickly as I hear them played professionally. Even though I think I should be spending more time practicing tunes I already know, learning new ones has become more and more rewarding as I learn each one faster and with greater understanding of Irtrad.
I am more comfortable posting to topics like this now that I know there is a separate board for the veterans....
Lisa
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

This thread reminds me of something I've started to do that I've been meaning to share, to see if it makes sense to anyone else.

After a couple of years of playing, I realized there were a surprising number of tunes I sort of knew, but a far smaller number I could really nail. I also had trouble keeping track of these tunes so I could work on them systematically. A list of tune names wasn't good enough because I would get the names mixed up, or couldn't remember the second part, etc. I wanted to avoid using books all the time, because if the music is in front of me I tend to rely on it too much.

SO, I put together a table in a MS Word doc with the following column headings:

Tune Name
Type (reel, jig, etc)
Key
Grade [A, B, C, D, or blank]
ABA
Source
Notes

In the "Grade" column I grade how well I know the tune, from a blank (don't know it at all), to "A" (I play it as well as I play anything).

In the "ABC" column I put the ABC notation of the first measure of each section of the tune (two measures for Polkas). That's enough to remind me what tune it is, or how the second part starts, and/or how many sections there are.

"Source" refers to books or recordings I own where I can find the tune.

Since it's in a table, I can sort the list by tune name, tune type, or grade. I print it out each way, and keep all three lists in a notebook.

I think I now have over 200 tunes in this list (not many graded "A"). If I come across a new tune I want to learn, I add it to the list with the Grade left blank.

I've been working with this list just about a month now. It was a bit of work to set up, but I think it's going to be a big help.

I would be interested in systems others have used to keep tract of and work on tunes.

--Jay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JayMitch on 2002-08-01 16:09 ]</font>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I don't really compare myself to others, but if you can play 31 tunes at speed and without errors, I'd think that's pretty darned good.

Since I came to this a good bit older than most, with slow fingers and a minor hearing impairmrent, I figure anytime I can get through any tune I know without a glitch is pretty good. I used to keep track of how many tunes I 'know', but I long since gave it up. Even now, if I go with something I haven't been practicing much lately, I often have to glance at a score for the first few nots.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Jay,
That is a very helpful little database format for me to begin using for my repertoire. Thanks so much for sharing it!

All,
When I first finish learning the notes and phrasing of a tune, I make a conscious effort to associate the first full measure with the name of the tune. I play those first notes over and over while saying the tune's name in my mind and observing what my fingers are doing and hearing the notes. At least a couple times a week, as part of my practice, I just check my quick recall of all my learned tunes. I believe that if I keep this routine up, even after I've learned over a hundred tunes, I will have no trouble recalling them.

Lisa
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

And the winner is.....

I've done a lot of exams and auditions in my life, but non was about how much you could learn in a certain time. And is there no difference then in learning 10 easy ballads or 10 difficult reels?(only technical speaking). Maybe people should just start posting there recorded tunes here, that could be interesting comparing, and give you the right idea of what you are doing.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thanks for the replies, guys!

In my case, I make mistakes a lot of the time in every tune I play. It's funny though, I can usually play the tunes I learned by ear better than the ones I learned by sheet music. I wonder what that means. I am constantly playing the same songs/tunes over and over to perfect them and work on any mistakes. I am even starting to work on putting pennywhistle to songs which don't have whistle. I just recently put whistle to "Mississippi" by Train. Anyway, thanks for the replies!

Peace be the journey,
Sara
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

I've been playing the whistle for 4 1/2 months and know 25 tunes by heart. But I started playing Irish songs on the regular flute about a year and a half ago, though, then quit for a while, then started again in April and haven't stopped since. 13 of them I've learned part by ear, part by music. It's been fun!
Curiosity is the mother of ruined whistles.