Looking for a new computer mouse

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for a new computer mouse

Post by peeplj »

Hey guys & gals, thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on this one:

I have had a Logitech MX-700 mouse for a few years and it's been a good mouse, but lately I've realized I want a mouse that's physically a bit bigger. I use the MX-700 with my fingers; my hand sits above it and not on it.

I want something I can actually comfortably rest my hand on.

More buttons is better.

Optical is good; laser is better.

Cordless is a plus but I could live without it for the right mouse.

Thoughts?

--James
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Go to Office Depot, or something comparable. They'll have most of the mouse types out, available for handling.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I have used a mouse almost exactly like this one for several years now, and I recommend it heartily.

I'm using a different mouse now, as I got a nice keyboard/mouse set for christmas with a charging station for the mouse and what not. You can look at that one (or something close, they have a lot of similar models) here.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Might want to have a look at this, just for the heck of it ...
http://www.evoluent.com/

A different thing altogether...looks very radical; but once you get used to it, very comfortable. Puts the hand, and more important, the wrist and elbow, in a "handshake" position. Four buttons, scroll wheel, optical. I've been using one for a while now and it's great; wouldn't go back to a standard mouse. An added benefit: Friends and family won't mess with your computer--the mouse will intimidate them.

:wink:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Looks more like a rat than a mouse :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

This baby looks cool....

I found it at this joint. And if you're feeling a little on the wild side you could give this one a go. :D
ShadowBG625
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Re: Looking for a new computer mouse

Post by ShadowBG625 »

peeplj wrote:Hey guys & gals, thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on this one:

I have had a Logitech MX-700 mouse for a few years and it's been a good mouse, but lately I've realized I want a mouse that's physically a bit bigger. I use the MX-700 with my fingers; my hand sits above it and not on it.

I want something I can actually comfortably rest my hand on.

More buttons is better.

Optical is good; laser is better.

Cordless is a plus but I could live without it for the right mouse.

Thoughts?

--James
If you are looking for a mouse, I find that it is always better to set a trap. People say that peanut butter and cheese work the best, but I find that a simple RAM chip gets the job done. :party:

I've stayed [somewhat] in the past. I use an uncordless Logitech optical mouse, and have never ran into any problems.

It all depends on the mouse pad. (Get one they won't chew up!)

Hehe...looking around...your mouse model # is MX700...my monitor model # is MX70. :lol:
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've always seen mouses as an essentially evil thing - they are designed as a commercial convenience at the expense of the operator - much as is the qwertyuiop keyboard.

My brother in law had the privelige to work whith a chap called Stellarc who takes the understanding of cybernetic interfaces way beyond. Have a look :)

http://www.stelarc.va.com.au/

It always amazes me that humans put up with such plodding uptake of technology. It seems everything must be kept in some religeous sync with that agonising slo-mo evolutionary step from utter darkness to a glimmer of light.

Mouses wreck your muscles and spine, it's not the shape of them, it's their entire paradigm. A sensible interface would take account of what human anatomy is and work-in more intuative kinesic ways to get the job done - if done correctly, it could also address the current epidemic of obesity. I like the PS2 I-toy - that's a step in the right direction (using 20 year old technology).
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Mouse?

Best wishes,
Jerry
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Mouse?
Jerry
Heh. Well Stellarc's stompin', cybernetic spider thingy is a new one. Not quite a mouse :)

The work my Bro in law was working on was a musical interface where Stellarc could interact in real-time to music - the pre-set music worked his body via muscle actuators and he had sensors to feed-back muscle signals to play the music. So he became both the player and the music, so to speak. It was rigged-up to the internet at one time via a net-cam and a website buttons so viewers could join-in and twaek his muscles around and play notes in real-time remotely.

These interfaces avoided using mouses. Not quite ready for the public though :lol:

Interesting man.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I caught a Logitech MX-1000 on sale locally at a better price than I could order it (even from newegg!), so I bought it.

It's a great mouse, and I like the physical size of it so much better. I can actually drive it with my hand and give my finger-joints some rest. :)

--James
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm glad the issue is resolved.

I won't buy mouses that are only meant for right handers. Although I use the left and right buttons like anyone else.

I have a nice Logitech optical. I don't want wireless. I have one but went back to the other.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm