Bore Oil Poll (try saying that three times fast)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

What do you use to oil your flute?

Pressed Linseed Oil
10%
Almond Oil
62%
Commercial Bore Oil
17%
Vegetable Oil
No votes
Motor Oil
6%
Dr. Slickery's Polymer Lube
No votes
Oil?! We don' need no stinkin' oil!
6%

Total votes: 71

dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Bore Oil Poll (try saying that three times fast)

Post by dow »

Well, I guess that this hasn't quite been done to death yet, so take a second and fill out the poll. If your type of oil isn't on the list, then feel free to add a post.

Yep, I'm trying to build concensus for when my wood flute gets here in a couple of months. It also gives me something to do when things are slow.:D :D

Thanks!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

You can get a concensus, but don't follow it too blindly. If everyone does a stupid thing, after all, it's still a stupid thing.

The maker of your flute probably has some recommendations he'd love for you to follow.

I use refined linseed oil, which is not on your list.

In the absence of that, I expect I would use almond, apricot, camellia, or grapeseed. All of which are readily available at natural food stores. And my fridge.
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

\Hazelnut oil...almond is ok...but I like the hazelnut flavor better !
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

I use a commercial bore oil, but only because it's leftover from when a friend played clarinet.

I would use an almond oil mixture if I didn't have this though.

Mark
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:\Hazelnut oil...almond is ok...but I like the hazelnut flavor better !
I like the Almond flavor myself. Never tried Hazelnut, but I might be allergic to that.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I would have thought that linseed would build up layers as it polymerises?

?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I think it depends on what has been done to the oil first. I know linseed in the raw will build up layers.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I would vote other -- I use Glenn Schultz's combination of 1 part almond to 4 parts extra-light olive.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

how easy is almond oil to get? and do you have to cut it with something to keep it from growing bacteria in it or whatnot? were talking about oiling the whole flute here, or just the headjoint?
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

They have almond oil at my local supermarket. Some people say to put vitamin E in the almond oil, I never have and I have never had a problem.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Unseen122 wrote:They have almond oil at my local supermarket. Some people say to put vitamin E in the almond oil, I never have and I have never had a problem.
Yes, I also use almond oil (for 35 years now).
It is one one of the high monounsaturate content oils that doesn;t have a strong smell like olive oil.
Monounsaturate content is important because it is the most heat stable and air stable of the unsaturated groups of oils. This is why vitamin E oil with it is unnecessary.
I do not like to use walnut oil and the like because it is a particularly high omega 6 and, often omega 3, content which makes it susceptible to rancidity and so on.

The science is out there ......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
cajordan

Post by cajordan »

Almond oil is also available as a base for aromatherapy massage oils because it has little flaovour/smell of its own and keeps well without going rancid. I think grapeseed oil is recommended for the same reasons.
(Health food shops sell almond oil in smallish bottles - supermarkets sell grapeseed oil in the food section much more cheaply, but then you don't really need half a litre at a time)

Chris
(Walnut oil sounds very yummy, but then I'd probably dribble into the flute!)
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Walnut. Although I think that two of my instruments came from the shop with tung (sp) oil and wonder if any oil can penetrate that initial layer. One came with a thin wax coating and so only the bore is oiled.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

cajordan wrote:Almond oil is also available as a base for aromatherapy massage oils because it has little flaovour/smell of its own and keeps well without going rancid. I think grapeseed oil is recommended for the same reasons.
(Health food shops sell almond oil in smallish bottles - supermarkets sell grapeseed oil in the food section much more cheaply, but then you don't really need half a litre at a time)
You could always . . . GASP! . . . cook with the rest of it.

It's surprisingly better than Mazola.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I think it depends on what has been done to the oil first. I know linseed in the raw will build up layers.
You've got it backwards. Raw linseed oil is cool. Refined linseed oil has drying agents added to it which make it polymerize before the wood absorbs it, ergo buildup. NASTY stuff to use in a flute.

I use organic food-grade flaxseed (i.e. linseed) oil. Or else olive oil.