Burk Session Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
regor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burk Session Whistles

Post by regor »

Hi, anyone can tell me how does the Burke Brass Session Black Tip D whistle (DBSBT) differs from the Birke Aluminum Session Black Tip D whistle (DASBT) beside the obvious difference in material and weight?
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I can only compare it to the Al-pro, but would think the differences would be close to those between it and the newer aluminum black tip session model as well. Both excellent - the brass has a darker tone and perhaps a hint more complexity in the low end. I love brass and delrin.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

I asked exactly the same question to Mike Burke, and here's his reply:
The Aluminum is brighter and the brass more warm and buttery, but both are pure and well balanced, I think. Perhaps the brass a bit more so than the aluminum on the balance.
I finally got a Brass Session and I completely agree that it is pure, buttery and very well balanced.
Cristian Feldman
regor

Post by regor »

Tx, that is exactly the info I was looking for.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

After playing Phil's DBSBT in July while i had my Burke I knew that I liked his more. The Brass has more complexity in the tone, which I liked. The Brass just has more character.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Unseen122 wrote:After playing Phil's DBSBT in July while i had my Burke I knew that I liked his more. The Brass has more complexity in the tone, which I liked. The Brass just has more character.
That's because there was a character playing it at the time. :lol:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

There is an excellent whistle player who playes Burkes who thinks the aluminum is a little more responsive.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I've never tried the DBSBT, but i think my DASBT is awesome. :D

?
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I have a DBSBT, and an AlPro alto A. Not the same key, but when comparing the character of the sound, I concur with the previous comments [just adding my two cents].

I will add that you can only get a patina on the brass, so if that's important to you, well, your choice is simple. I like the choice to polish or not to polish.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
rh

Post by rh »

i've had a Burke DAN for some time, and it is nice, in-tune, articulates well, not-shrill, but... ermmm... kinda vanilla, sort of the "polite" D whistle in the stable.

i figured all Burkes are kind of like that. but then i got a Burke brass C in a trade and... well, it is a whole different beast altogether. the bore is wider and the brass really makes a fatter sound... yes it's a whole tone lower but it is quite different from the DAN which makes me curious about the DBSBT... i think i'm more of a brass guy -- i have a late 1990's Copeland D (brass) which is a great whistle but my tympanic membrane gets close to rupturing when i play around high B... and an Overton (aluminum) which has a great fat sound but the backpressure makes me feel like i'm going to stroke out around high B.

i have a delrin Busman which is great but lacks the brass "ping", and is borderline in terms of the back pressure... sometimes i want it to be a little bit less.

seeing as how i've got a stable of expensive whistles, none of which is quite "right", should i go for the Burke DBSBT -- is it the right D for me -- or is it another stage of some quixotic quest .....
sensei-gata, o-negai shimasu....
there is no end to the walking
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

PhilO wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:After playing Phil's DBSBT in July while I had my Burke I knew that I liked his more. The Brass has more complexity in the tone, which I liked. The Brass just has more character.
That's because there was a character playing it at the time. :lol:

Philo
:lol:
rh it seems like you are in quite a pickle. Of course i think a Burke could be sold pretty quickly if you didn't want it.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Unseen122 wrote: Of course i think a Burke could be sold pretty quickly if you didn't want it.
One of the great advantages of the Burkes
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Or trade it for another great whistle, I traded my DASBT for a Sindt C.
Wizzer

Re: Burk Session Whistles

Post by Wizzer »

regor wrote:Hi, anyone can tell me how does the Burke Brass Session Black Tip D whistle (DBSBT) differs from the Birke Aluminum Session Black Tip D whistle (DASBT) beside the obvious difference in material and weight?
I just asked Joanie Madden her favorite Burke D and she said the DASBT.
Phil