What is the most beautiful or exotic whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My mopane Weasel is beautifully figured (high-E, on the right). It doesn't come through too well in the pic, but you can see some contrast:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Kansas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My most beautiful Whistles

Post by Kansas »

Well for me it has to be wood. Nothing I know of masters the feel, the look, and the sound even for such a poor player like me.

My wood whistles happen to be all Busman. I prefer figure, grain and that "look" to a plain wood. Paul offers a tremendous palette of wood.

My first was from Byll (Bill - from Gladly Playe Wyth Stryngs) - a unusually beautiful Busman Kingwood in D. It has sort of flame area near the front tone holes. I normally don't see much use to darker woods that don't have a "personality". This one is a certainly an exception. It plays smoothly and made my whistle practicing the past year a lot easier and more productive it plays so well.

My second was a C Busman in a dramatic Birdseye maple - handpicked from his stock. I loved this look so much, I asked Paul to make me a maple in D. I certainly needed two D's for no other reason than the appreciation of the beauty of this wood.

The final decision was made to "transition" slightly to a Tiger maple in D - dramatic tiger stripes with slight accents of birdseye. I discussed this one recently on the Chiff board and there is a picture showing it. Wonderful look, just a real beauty like the Birdseye.

Each of these whistles has a little different voicing - but I think probably as close as human hands can produce. The tone holes feel just so natural like Paul had my fingers in mind when radiusing them .The transition from D to C feels very natural to me on these Busmans. The Kingwood edges out the other two a little in voicing - I think Byll's "spirit" stilll lives with it.

My only problem now is trying to decide what new combination of wood and key to ask Paul to make me. If only he could make a Bb or A! What a beautiful set I would have.

I guess I'm hooked.
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
Maddes

Post by Maddes »

Exotic + beautiful.. mhm.. how about a Thin Weasel in Snakewood? Always loved that wood, although it's a bit toxic even..

And, most beautiful of my _own_ whistles.. well, my Shaw. Sad, but true :oops:
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Maddes wrote:...most beautiful of my _own_ whistles.. well, my Shaw. Sad, but true :oops:
Not sad.

I've a Freeman Tweaked Shaw (my 2nd whistle) that I wouldn't hesitate to call beautiful. A ding on the bottom seam, a worn Freeman mouse, some scratches - but beautiful nonetheless. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

There was a time on Chiff when Elfsongs would have dominated this kind of topic. Shows how fashion comes and goes:

More pics:
http://www.elfsongwhistles.com/OrderPage3.html
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

The Abell is nice looking. This Eb by Paul Busman isn't bad either:

Keith
Kansas

KHL - Keith

Post by Kansas »

What is that wood?
Very nice photo - very nice grain and coloring. Beautiful whistle.
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Re: KHL - Keith

Post by khl »

Kansas wrote:What is that wood?
Cocobolo. Imagine what this looks like in a D or a C. (The photo, to give credit where it is due, was by Paul. It looks even better 'live'.)
Last edited by khl on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i had no idea there were whistles so beautiful. i have only seen the inexpensive whistles at the local music store and the selection is small. i've only ever seen one person play the whistle in person and that's what inspired me. thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cooperman.

I jest.

Abell blackwood.
greg

whoa

Post by greg »

the next one