*Good* uilleann pipes on radio, this Sat.!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
mollyh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

*Good* uilleann pipes on radio, this Sat.!

Post by mollyh »

This Saturday WHRB in Boston, MA is hosting a FIVE HOUR Irish Traditional Music Show!

The music will be great!: the circut starts off with local Boston musicians then circulates down from Donegal players through Clare, Kerry, and up to Dublin. (There will be a weighty emphasis on Clare, though, let me tell you!)

If you ever wished that you could turn on the radio and hear Willie Clancy or Seamus Ennis or Bobby Casey, NOW IS YOUR CHANCE!

On WHRB, 95.3 FM Boston, Streaming live online at www.whrb.org!
From 6pm – 11 pm EST this Saturday (1/14)!

The more positive feedback that WHRB gets about this, the greater chance of establishing a weekly Traditional hour, so be vociferous and contact us!

President of WHRB
389 Harvard Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 495-WHRB

Thanks!
Molly
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Hi Molly, can you put a space before the exclamation mark in your link? It is not working now.

Justine
mollyh

Post by mollyh »

Sure, it's

www.whrb.org

I forgot to add the email address, too: mail@whrb.org
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Thanks! I will definitely listen to at least some of it. Which Boston players are going to be on?
djm

Post by djm »

More to the point, which *good* uilleann pipers will be on?

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:More to the point, which *good* uilleann pipers will be on?

Thx,

djm
... yes, inquiring minds have to know.
juanito

Post by juanito »

From the WHRB site;
Saturday, January 14
6:00pm The Traditional Irish Music Orgy
A collection of some of the finest Irish traditional music, including
recordings made in the earliest days of portable reel-to-reel tapes: tunes
recorded in cottage kitchens with kettles and the fire in the background.
We follow Irish music up to the present, traveling across the coasts and fields of the emerald Isle in search of the enduring, real tradition.

While no specific artist is mentioned on the site, the folks at WHRB who present the music “Orgies” (yeah that’s what they call them) usually go out of their way to present music that is not usually commercially available. The WHRB music orgies are generally pretty amazing!! Thanks for the info Molly.
The date coincides very nicely with the Boston Celtic Music Fest Jan 13+14.
www.BCMFest.com

Cheers,
John M.
fgibbons
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Post by fgibbons »

juanito wrote: While no specific artist is mentioned on the site, the folks at WHRB who present the music “Orgies” (yeah that’s what they call them) usually go out of their way to present music that is not usually commercially available. The WHRB music orgies are generally pretty amazing!! Thanks for the info Molly.
The date coincides very nicely with the Boston Celtic Music Fest Jan 13+14.
www.BCMFest.com

Cheers,
John M.
Thanks for the info on the orgy Molly. For readers in the Boston area, if you feel like listening to some live music as darkness falls, then as John mentioned (this forum is so cryptic - I think I know you John/juanito), the Boston Celtic Music Festival also takes place this weekend. There's a concert on Friday night, and on Saturday music starts up again around 11am in Club Passim and the First Church, both in Harvard Square. There's a break at 6 for dinner, before the Finale concert at 8 till late. Word is that there'll also be a session running in Tommy Doyle's (used ot be House of Blues) most of the day.

I'll be playing pipes with guitarist Andy Conroy, flutist James Hamilton, and concertinist Christ Stevens. I won't call myself "*good*", but will go out on a limb and say "half-decent". Look for either "Flagstone" or "Herding cats" (what can I say? we had a late change of membership and concommitant name change...) on the detailed listing at http://www.yellowcarmusic.com/bcmfest/events.html

Hey Molly, you say the show streams live - if I can't listen live, will it be available in some kind of archive after the fact? That would be sweet.

-Frank
mollyh

Post by mollyh »

Some of the Boston muscians, in honor of the already mentioned BCMFest, are The Heatons, Eric Merrill, and Ellery Klein. Also there are quite a few tracks from more regional musicians like Willie Kelly, Mike Rafferty, Michael Cooney, and Patrick Ourceau for the "American musicians" time in the first hour.

Some of the pipers that are going to get airtime, in no particular order, are: Seamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, Ronan Browne, Tommy Reck, Neill Mulligan, Mick O'Brien, Paddy Keenan, the Rowsomes, Mikie Smyth, David Power, Sean McAloon, Brian McNamara, Benedict Koehler

So if you think they are good pipers, then it's worth a listen.
djm

Post by djm »

mollyh wrote:So if you think they are good pipers, then it's worth a listen.
Ha! Only the crème de la crème.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mollyh

Post by mollyh »

There should be an archive made while the show runs, if anyone is interested or misses the show. Let me know or write WHRB if you want one.

I second the support for BCMFest – it's a great event incorperating all "celtic" music (hmm) but has great musicians playing that know what they're doing.

Thanks for all the interest in the Irish Orgy (I'm even on staff and it sounds odd)! I am working hard to get a weekly hour going and I will keep you all updated if we get so lucky. Otherwise, enjoy!
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

mollyh wrote:Thanks for all the interest in the Irish Orgy (I'm even on staff and it sounds odd)!
What is it with Cambridge, anyway? I don't know if this place still exists, but for many years there was a bakery in Inman Square called Rosie's that served up something called a Chocolate Orgasm. I still remember standing in line to pick up a cake my first time there; the man in front of me said "I'll have an Orgasm, please," and I just about fell over. And now they're having Irish Orgies...what's next? ;-)
gerrymceltic

Post by gerrymceltic »

Sorry, just being lazy.What time will it be in Ireland when it starts.
Cheers , Gerry.
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

gerrymceltic wrote:Sorry, just being lazy.What time will it be in Ireland when it starts.
Boston is GMT-500. So add 5 hours to the time unless you're on summer time — but as it's January I doubt it. :)
gerrymceltic

Post by gerrymceltic »

Cheers.