Need help choosing a high D with a mellow sound

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ostekjeks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need help choosing a high D with a mellow sound

Post by Ostekjeks »

I need some help to choose my first high-end high D whistle. I have a couple of whistles (Feadóg, Generation, Clarke), but I'm not satisfied with neither. I'm really no fan of this "chiff" sound between notes, and almost every whistle I have produces a lot of these when playing. What I would like, is a whistle with a beautiful, mellow, not ear-piercing at all, sweet sound, just like I seem to hear in most good whistle recordings. If you don't understand what kind of sound I'm after, please tell me and I can try to explain it better. It should of course have somewhat the same volume in both octaves, even though I know this is tricky. Regarding the volume of the whistle itself, I really don't want it to be too loud, and certainly not shrill-like in any way. Since I'm mostly playing for myself, it could actually by quite quiet (but I would prefer a little bit more volume than the Clarke C I own, which seems to be surprisingly quiet). As you probably have understood by now, I want a high D with a mellow, soft, enjoyable sound (even in the high octaves), without too much buzzes, squawks or other piercing noises.

I'm not sure whether I want a tuneable whistle or not. I bought a low D whistle with a tuneable slide, but I haven't found use for the tuneable option this far. I think as long as the whistle itself is in tune, it won't be any problem. And since this is a matter of price, take pro and cons regarding tuning of the whistle into consideration when recommending. I'm not sure how much money I want to use, but if there's a great whistle out there somewhere, meeting my demands, I could probably easily spend £100+ if you could convince me. Material isn't important, but I don't like plastic for some odd reasons.

If you know of a whistle you think would fit me, please tell me. And I would love sound clips. Yes, I'm aware of all the great sites out there; I'll check them out again as soon as I get some good suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Since I am about to contact him about a purchase, let me put in a word for Mack Hoover. Don't just take my word for it. Search C&F or check out his website for some sound samples.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
oskan_oskula

Post by oskan_oskula »

In case you missed this little fact in other threads, I'm completely in love with my Syn:lol:. If you're only interested in the D whistle, it's only about $40 American. While I'm not a terribly experienced player, I do have a picky ear when it comes to sound. This is a sweet, not-piercing whistle, about the same volume in both octaves, and was very easy for me to become comfortable with.

It's louder than my Clarke traditional D by a long shot, but there's no harshness to the sound unless I put it there. Compared to the Feadog, the sound is much more complex- rounded, more full and deep.

I'll let you know when I can find a sound clip.
Happy hunting!

Oh here's one!
http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/review ... /index.asp
Last edited by oskan_oskula on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings and Song!
~May V. Oskan.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

What if you told us which good whistle recordings you are referring to and maybe (maybe?) someone will know what kind of whistle was used.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Mack Hoover is a great suggestion! Also I would think a D brass narrow bore Burke would fit quite well.

--James
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

You might find Gary Humphrey's whistles to your liking. They are pretty mellow, even on the highest notes, but still loud enough to be heard when playing with others. Gary also manages to keep a pretty strong low end even though the high end is mellow and not piercing. They're also very well made...no rough edges, very semetrical.

He currently has waiting list of about 10 weeks.

http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/

-Brett
scooter587

Post by scooter587 »

I second (or third) the Mack Hoover suggestion for this particular sound. His Whitecap D in 1/2-inch brass likely has the least chiff of about any whistle out there.

Go to: http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/

(Just an endorsement from a happy owner of a Hoover Whitecap C in aluminum.)
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Sweet, mellow, not much chiff ... sounds like a Greenwood, or some other wood whistles. (I've only played a Greenwood thus far.) You may have to look for a used one to fit in your price range. Mack Hoover's whistles are also an excellent and more affordable choice ... if you tell him you want a louder whistle. Or maybe a Sweetheart Dymondwood - that's also a good whistle.

Judy
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

A Dixon, that is in my opinion the exact Whistle you are looking for. Quiet, sweet, little chiff, and it was my first more expensive whistle so i can tell you it is not bad in that field.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I would recommend a Syn whistle in lancewood. All the Syn range of whistles have delrin/plastic mouthpieces. However the mouthpieces with lancewood stems also have lancewood plugs and it seems that this diminishes the clogging that can sometimes occur with delrin plugging.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

talasiga wrote:I would recommend a Syn whistle in lancewood. All the Syn range of whistles have delrin/plastic mouthpieces. However the mouthpieces with lancewood stems also have lancewood plugs and it seems that this diminishes the clogging that can sometimes occur with delrin plugging.
Interesting Tal - seems contrary to my experiences. I've found that delrin plugs generally tend to inhibit clogging. I think one also needs to be careful with lancewood with respect to climate etc as it is not as stable as say blackwood for example.

I still think that overall for a first high end whistle you can't go wrong with a Burke brass blacktip.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

PhilO wrote:
Interesting Tal - seems contrary to my experiences. I've found that delrin plugs generally tend to inhibit clogging. I think one also needs to be careful with lancewood with respect to climate etc as it is not as stable as say blackwood for example.

I have both all delrin mouth pieces and delrin with lancewood plugs. I am talking about the Syn heads so my comment relates to Syns. (I have Syn C#, C, B and Bb and I have played both aluminium and lancewood D in Erle's workshop as well as the Black Diamond). With Syns. my experience is that the delrin heads clog quicker than the ones with wood beading. The wood beaded hardly, and not badly. Ditto for my Sweetheart maple D.

You probably know more about materials than I do but I am told by all the instrument makers I have met that Red Lancewood is a pretty stable material. I have been from temperate winter mountains to subtropics within a week with my lancewood instruments with little problem. Touch (lance)wood. 8)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

talasiga wrote:I would recommend a Syn whistle in lancewood.
Either that one or one from Weston Whistles. The high D I have from Simon is the sweetest sounding whistle I have through both octives. The price, for a wooden whistle, is supurb and about the same as Erle's.

Neither whistle is overly loud either.

If you want to go to the next level in pure sound that a Rose is what you want, but at 3 times the price.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

You could check out Phil Hardy's website www.kerrywhistles.com He shows all kinds of whistles, gives a short review and you can hear what they sound like. ( I think I like the Bleazy :wink: )

Go to the Movies section, then click Profiles.
:) Rini
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

I've looked through everything on Phil's site. It's great. But there's so many whistles out there and I'm confused. I'll look into the suggestions; I don't think I know very much about the whistles mentioned. Could anyone tell me about Alba, Kerry Songbird and Overton whistles? They seem to sell Overton whistles (Goldie too) at www.bigwhistle.co.uk for about £100, but it's hard to tell how these whistles would be like, right?