Writely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Writely

Post by Dale »

This is kind of cool, but I'm still trying to figure out who would use it and why they would use it.

http://www.writely.com
Montana

Post by Montana »

Someone who travels a fair amount but doesn't carry a laptop?
djm

Post by djm »

Possibly for someone whose ISP doesn't provide a web page, but they want to post documents on the web.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:Possibly for someone whose ISP doesn't provide a web page, but they want to post documents on the web.

djm
My ISP provides a web page, but . . . gasp! . . . I've never used it.

I wonder how I'd find it????
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I think the original idea behind Microsoft's .NET movement was that
all applications would be written in C#, and would reside on a
webserver rather than on your harddrive. Then, you would basically
do everything through a web browser instead of on top of the OS,
and the server owners (presumably Microsoft) would maintain control
of the applications.

The idea spawned many over-the-web apps by other parties. Some
were preemptively jumping on the proverbial bandwaggon, and some
just thought it was cool. Since .NET hasn't really taken off, we're
generally not sure what to make of them, (as demonstrated above).
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:I wonder how I'd find it?
Usually, your ISP will tell you what your home server's name is. This is the server that you set up your net access to connect to first. Then your home page might be a directory named with your email-id. This is just an example. Your ISP should be able to tell you very quickly how they are set up.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

HI Dale, Writely is one of a class of net-specific programs designed to overcome incompatabilities inherent in documents generated on disparate platforms and processors. Usually, you will find mention of easy tracking and management via some kind of document-manager software.

It's all part of ECM or Enterprise Content Management (Gartner-coined acronymn) and represents a revolution (of sorts) in collaberative distributed workplaces and projects. It would also be teamed with some fairly powerful workflow software to ensure documents and processes proceed along a disciplined lifecycle. There is a lot of stuff to also bind-in rich-content stuff such as mp3. Secure archiving and paper document tracking is also in there somewhere. I recently installed an archive system for a local telco. It's tightly synchronised with their transactional ERP system in such a way that scanned documents (invoices, proof-of-delivery receipts etc) get linked to the transaction with media protection strong enough that a retrieved document can be used as evidence in a court of law or to pass an audit (read Sarbanes OXley). Once committed, the stored documents cannot be hacked and can only be deleted with an axe - in both the live and mirror-sites - the storage is self-healing to protect from partial failures and media errors. If the US had used one of these babies in the last election it would have killed a good number of the threads in "Politics". rofl

(btw .net is at best a transitional technology - it just don't scale.)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm looking at it with an eye on security. They claim that when you publish a document on-line on writely.com, no one can see it except those whose email addresses you've entered. Given that a lot of people don't have encrypted email, it could be a useful way of conveying confidential information.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

DaleWisely wrote:I'm looking at it with an eye on security. They claim that when you publish a document on-line on writely.com, no one can see it except those whose email addresses you've entered. Given that a lot of people don't have encrypted email, it could be a useful way of conveying confidential information.
Therein lies the problem. I have a hard time believing corporations will allow their confidential documents to reside on the internet. The FDA compliance issues in the pharmaceutical business are enormous.

Besides that, I personally abhore the Microsoft idea that everything we do should be on the web.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Flyingcursor wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:I'm looking at it with an eye on security. They claim that when you publish a document on-line on writely.com, no one can see it except those whose email addresses you've entered. Given that a lot of people don't have encrypted email, it could be a useful way of conveying confidential information.
Therein lies the problem. I have a hard time believing corporations will allow their confidential documents to reside on the internet. The FDA compliance issues in the pharmaceutical business are enormous.

Besides that, I personally abhore the Microsoft idea that everything we do should be on the web.
Hi Flying cursor. you are right - big corps don't put things on the web per se, but they do use the web for transport. If it's been done correctly access will be using a complex set of certificates and at least one strong password to read anything. Access is usually via a secured bridge into an intranet which connects to the workflow, transactional and library systems. most the ports are disconnected at the bridge. This is how the pharmceuticle guys do it.

As for writely - they are not saying enough to know - I would be asking them about the use of certificates. I would also ask them about what imbedded objects it can handle and publish - particularly if you are used to using any windows style software such as visio or excel - you might find there's gaps. If you want one that has all this you are talking about Open Text, Tower, Documentum and a few others - these are v. expensive but do the stuff and have their indemnity paid-up.
You should also ask about workflow - what config can you apply to the lifecycle of a document before it's published? What protections are applied to saved documents? What method is used to track changes in documents? Is the change history kept? Does writely accomodate strong meta-data search criteria? Does it use open source? The list I work from is about 12 pages, but these are the main ones.
I just had a look - writely does not show up on gartner's radar yet but they are in beta so that's no great suprise. It could be a bargain - but remember, they'll not be in beta forever - depending on their business model, you might end-up paying for the nice-to-have features as they get developed. It kinda looks like a free to public style thing with corpies picking-up the tab but they have massive competition and I would expect them to be looking for ancilliary cash-flow before too long. The big question is - if you commit to it, how hard will it be to move everything if they go belly-up?
All the best!

mitch
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Mitch wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:

Hi Flying cursor. you are right - big corps don't put things on the web per se, but they do use the web for transport. If it's been done correctly access will be using a complex set of certificates and at least one strong password to read anything. Access is usually via a secured bridge into an intranet which connects to the workflow, transactional and library systems. most the ports are disconnected at the bridge. This is how the pharmceuticle guys do it.
Yep except we call it an intranet as opposed to internet. Even though it's global in scope all access into and out of is strictly controlled and resides on our own servers. I get the impression that Microsoft would hold business hostage in the sense you'd have to use their servers which gives me the shivers.

Funny you should mention Documentum. I've been a Documentum system admin for 9 years, (Sun server) with the exception of the short time I was layed off and over the past few months while I've been on another project. I miss it. I loved goofing off in UNIX. I was the master of the AWK script.

Insight seems so show promise but from what I've seen it suffers some problems.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Funny you should mention Documentum. I've been a Documentum system admin for 9 years, (Sun server) with the exception of the short time I was layed off and over the past few months while I've been on another project. I miss it. I loved goofing off in UNIX. I was the master of the AWK script.

[/quote]
I'm a great fan of EMC and Documentum - mostly for the reason that it uses delta storage. It's just a religious thing for me coz it works exactly like Endevor code management which I admined for a few years once. The bit I like best is that none of this stuff is worth a nickel if the admin is half-hearted, but if admin is rigorous then things just go so easy :)
All the best!

mitch
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Something about Writely seemed appealing to me and, of course, Google agrees with me. :lol:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/writely-so.html

http://techdirt.com/articles/20060309/125229_F.shtml
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

DaleWisely wrote:Something about Writely seemed appealing to me and, of course, Google agrees with me. :lol:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/writely-so.html

http://techdirt.com/articles/20060309/125229_F.shtml
3Fish Productions came THIS close to buying it.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I've been pondering email security for a while. We had all that fuss about PGP when it leaked out of the States.
But very few of us need crash-hot security for an email. After all, we don't put a lock and chain on our real-mail letters.
If you use WORD (and a few of us do) you can put a password on a file so that it can't be opened except by those who know (or can guess) the password. I don't imagine that any Government Security Agency would take as long as ten minutes to open the thing, and I'm sure a competent hacker could get past it, but it would evade casual inspection.

All it needs is an understanding of the sender's password.