Who are we? (a little OT)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Butterfly wrote:I'm 100 % Frisian.
Frisians are kewl, especially their names. In fact, my major complaints about Brits is that they speak English with a Frisian accent! Nyuk. :lol:

The Weekender is a true American, a hybrid with hopefully the better parts of all. On Dad's side, English, Scots and Irish, on Mom's side, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian with a bit of Mexican Indian in there, most likely Mayo (from Sinaloa) and unknown tribe from Northern Sonora. My Protestant and Catholics sides have frequent internal shouting matches about incense, blood, confessions and self-reliance. My Spanish-Californio side and incoming Gold Rush Anglo side are always accusing each other of stealing land and wrecking everything versus being lazy and too happy to play guitar and dance all the time. Tis true that I am a conflicted human bean.

PS. Why isn't this in the Pub?
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

My paternal side great grandparents came from Cork and Limerick. My paternal grandmother was a mix of German, Dutch, english, Native American and Scots. My maternal grandmother was of German and Dutch descent. My maternal grandfathers background is still unknown. That English side came to the Plymouth colonies in 1630 from Dorset and Kent. All of that mixture makes me a genuine American that likes Irish music, Ireland, and the Irish people. Am I irish? My great grandfather, my grandfather and my father all said yes.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Jetpiper

Post by Jetpiper »

I am Potawatomi and Creek Indian, and am actually a member of the Citizen Potawatomi tribe of Oklahoma. I also have Irish and Scottish from both sides of my family. In addition, there is some German, Welsh, and English. I have always loved the sound of Celtic music, with a special affinity for the pipes and whistle. I would say its in the blood. I also play the Native American flute. It came very naturally. I picked it up, and could play it immediately. I think that came from my Grandfather, who carried the flute for the Kiowa people for many years, even though he was Potawatomi. He played and made flutes till he walked on in 1989. Music is such a wonderful gift. I thank God for it. I cherish it every day, and am passing it on to my children, who are also pursuing it with passion and abandon!
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

vaporlock wrote: I used to think that I was Scottish. I played the the Great Highland Pipes for many years. Turned out that branch of the family was actually English, so now I play the whistle. Further research revealed that the branch of the family that I thought was English is actually Scottish, so I can go back to playing the pipes again. On second thought, I can't even tune a whistle, do you think I can get three drones and a chanter in tune???

The figures below are only estimates and the purity of these lines is questionable.

Grandma (Mom's) Norwegian
Grandpa (Mom's) English
Grandma (Dad's) Black Irish
Grandpa (Dad's) Scottish
I hope you're joking, cause, That would be rather silly to play "what you are." And playing the whistle cause you thought you were English is even sillier yet?

I'm.. a mut. My dad's name is Wilson, and my mother's maiden name was Kerr. But, I know I've got English, (grandmother's from England) Irish, Scottish, German, and I'm 1/8th Cherokee indian.

-Eric
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Furthermore, I believe part of it is in the blood. I never knew I loved traditional Irish and other Celtic music so much untill about 2 years ago. I always use to listen to what the other kids did, and what I could tolerate. However, I've always loved the sound and have been attracted to the Highland pipes, ever since I was a kid. And later having heard the Uilleann pipes, I love those as well. Then, I'd have to say the other part is what you like.. Kind of doesn't make sense, but, it does in my little world anyways. I've seen a number of people from Ireland and Scotland who all like American music!! :lol:
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Chuck_Clark wrote: So here's another one for you. We play (some would say obsess over) an Irish instrument. Most of the songs we talk about are Celtic in origin. So is it in the blood? I'm wondering how many of us are all or part Irish.
I don't wish to be too picky, but the Tin or Penny whistle isn't really Irish, just adopted by ITM. You could call it English (from the original Clarke) or French (Its widely believed Clarke was making a cheap copy of the Flageolet).
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

The Weekenders wrote:PS. Why isn't this in the Pub?
Because on 14 September 2002 there wasn't a Poststructural Pub. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My ancestors are about 97% Irish, from Sligo and Dublin. There was a French Canadian several generations back who gave his last name to my mother's family, Lesperance. 3/4 of the Irish have been in Canada and then USA since mid 1800s. Maternal grandmother's maiden name was Byrne. Paternal grandfather's name at birth in Dublin was also Byrne. He changed it to Burns when he became a US citizen in the 1920s. Hence my screen name.
Mike Burns
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Jetpiper wrote:I am Potawatomi and Creek Indian, and am actually a member of the Citizen Potawatomi tribe of Oklahoma. I also have Irish and Scottish from both sides of my family. In addition, there is some German, Welsh, and English. I have always loved the sound of Celtic music, with a special affinity for the pipes and whistle. I would say its in the blood. I also play the Native American flute. It came very naturally. I picked it up, and could play it immediately. I think that came from my Grandfather, who carried the flute for the Kiowa people for many years, even though he was Potawatomi. He played and made flutes till he walked on in 1989. Music is such a wonderful gift. I thank God for it. I cherish it every day, and am passing it on to my children, who are also pursuing it with passion and abandon!
Nice post, Jet. Welcome!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I'm half-half. My Dad's from India, Mom's from Switzerland.
:wink:
Colin

Post by Colin »

amar wrote:I'm half-half. My Dad's from India, Mom's from Switzerland.
:wink:
I'm half-half too. Dad's from Glasgow, mum's from Edinburgh (though
she is partly, cough, splutter, English).
I'm the descendant of Border Reivers, Presbyterian ministers and
numerous othes of illrepute.

Colin
BESharp

Post by BESharp »

We are of Scottish descent, Clan Donald on the paternal and maternal side. :D
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

Welsh. Both sides, at least within the past half-dozen generations.

Ultimately, my mother's mother's family - the Harvards - came over with William the Conqueror in 1066 and moved west and they've been in Breconshire ever since. The name has, at least. Not sure about the genes :D

My father's family came over the Black Mountain to work in Heavy Industry around 1800 and stayed here ever since. As far as we know they were about there for a good few hundred years.

I really should do more research and fill in the gaps but generally we haven't been very important or noticeable, I don't think!
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
dapolishunicyclist

Post by dapolishunicyclist »

I'm 1/2 Polsih, !/4 English (Don't Hate Me!), 1/8 German, and !/8 heaven only knows. (There is talk in my family of some Native American blood.)
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

I00% Canadian, which in my case works out to 50% Scottish decent (via Cape Breton) and 50% Irish.