Who are we? (a little OT)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Like most natives of the southern Appalachian region I trace back to primarily Scots/Irish ancestors. Along the way the occasional German Hessian soldier or scattered Welsh immigrant(he was born in 1629 and was shanghied out by the Brits to work on their ship) shows up. Even an English and French one now and again.Actually my Dad's grandmother's maiden name was English. Most of these came here(southwest Va-western NC) in the mid to late 1600's thru 1750's.surnames-Scots/Irish-Young, Buchanan, Sutherland,Duncan,Robertson, Smith, Hall, McKinney,Bruce
German- and these names have been Americanized- Grindstaff(Krantzdorff), Silver(Silber), Breeding(Breeden),Kiser(Keyzer)Rasnake(Rasnik)Ambergey(Amberger)
English- Musick, Hart
French-LaForce, Legrand(he was a Hugenot who came from Normandy in Sept.1700.

There are quiet a few that fought in each war, French&Indian, Revolution,1812, Civil, etc., but the closest anyone came to being famous in my bunch I suppose was Frankie Stewart Silver who has been the subject of several books.(The one by Sharon McCrumb is my favorite) She was the last woman hung in the state of North Carolina.I think this was in or around 1835. She recieved this sentence after being found guilty of chopping up her husband with an ax. There is debate now over whether she was really guilty. But, someone sure did it. You can go to Charlie's gravesite in Kona, NC and see the three graves he eventually ended up with. You see, they kept finding parts of him and since they'ed already buried the other parts they would make a new grave...
He ended up with three.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Sometimes I play the Autoharp®.
Reasonable person
Walden
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Genealogy... a favorite subject of mine. So many ancestors, so little time. :smile: Uh, there's-

My Dad's Father's side: Sweden, Denmark, England, and some lines which research wise are still stuck on this side of the pond in 1700's New Jersey.

My Dad's Mothers's side: Split between England and Germany (parts from the ever changeable Alsace German/French region) and one little line still stuck in the early-mid 1800's last confirmed location in Indiana.

My Mom's Father's side: Norway, Denmark, England.

My Mom's Mother's side: Lots of England. Lots of little lines trailing off in dead ends in the 1600's United State's New England Region. People with names like Thankful, Phineas, Constance, and for the real unusual- a man named Supply (yes, that really is his first name.) Also a few families that have all but brick walled in New York about 1800; working on that one. Then there is a group of lines that hit the southern U.S. into Virginia and most of those are still stuck on this side of the pond, but there are a few bits and hints of Scotland and England in there. Oh, and a few French Hugonaughts to. (Aakk... sorry my bad spelling...)

My ancestors immigrated to America beginning in the Plymouth 1600’s era to the last few coming over in the 1880’s. They fought together in the Revolutionary War and against each other during the Civil War. They headed west in wagons and on foot, some made it to their destinations while others... well, they weren’t so lucky.

Horse thieves, train robbers? None that I know of. But I do have one ancestor who left quite a trail. He and his wife get married and going by the date of their marriage and the birth of their first child (two months later) she would have been quite pregnant when they got married. Parents probably talked them into getting married, to do the “honorable thing”. First child (a son) died as an infant. She got pregnant shortly after the birth of the first and when she was about eight months pregnant with the second child, her husband takes off. It’s 1866 and he leaves his wife in their native Germany telling her he is going to America and will meet up with her brother who is in Kansas and will send for her and the baby when he gets settled. She never sees him again. One month or so later, she gives birth to a little girl (my ancestor). A decade or so later, wife saves enough money to immigrate to America and starts out with a visit to her brother in Kansas. It’s said that he knew what happened to her husband but took his secret to the grave telling her not to go looking for him as it would cause big trouble and not to mention that man’s name again. So we never knew what happened to her husband until recently when my brother finally tracked him down. It seems that his wife and life as a farmer in Kansas didn’t appeal to him. So he ditched his old life and started a new one. Married another woman, settled down in Hartford, Connecticut, had five more kids and died of old age. Like my mother-in-law has been heard to say, “Never assume that your ancestors weren’t bitches and Basmatis. They were human after all.”

Famous people... a few kind of sort of. There is one who is a first cousin to Captain James Cook.

And if the research is correct (as in I’m relying on research that many others have done on this one) some of those very English lines start to run into a few knights about the year 1500 and by the 1300’s these lines start to hit the royalty of the time such as the Kings of England- Edward the first, second, and third and others; and since royalty intermarried so much you keep going and run into royalty from all over Europe and beyond; Scotland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Russia, etc. and so on. From little obscure kingdoms most have never heard of like Basina Princess of Thuringia to better known characters like Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire or King Henry I of England.. These lines go back and back to years like 402, 212, or the farthest of which supposedly is a guy named Godwulf born about the year 80 somewhere in Asia/Eastern Europe. It interesting to read about some of these people. Some were nice and even did a few good things, others left some awful chapters in history in their wake that kind of make one sick to think about. Actually, there are a big heap ton of people that would have to be related to these guys and gals since they were born so long ago and they have had centuries of descendants. It’s just a matter of tracing the lines back far enough.

Of course, I take this whole royalty line with a bit of tongue in cheek. I haven’t seen documented proof that it’s correct. And unless I have document in hand, I don’t set anything genealogy wise in stone. There are a lot of good, honest, sincere genealogy researchers. There are also a lot lying, dishonest ones out there as well. I don’t know what kind of people had their hands in researching these lines and my ancestors connection to them. Just with lines going from the present back to the 1600’s, I’ve spent more time fixing mistakes than actually doing new research. :sad:

My advice? Never assume what you have for genealogy is accurate unless you’ve gone over it carefully and have some kind of documented evidence to support it. Even if a relative did it or if the family got together and hired a professional. I’ve had relatives who have gone in and really screwed stuff up. I’ve seen professionals purposely go in and make stuff up to make it look good for the client so they can get paid more. :eek: Really and truly. I overheard a series of conversations between a professional genealogist and his assistant one afternoon. The assistant was looking for the next link on the line and wasn’t finding much. Eventually, the professional told her to look at “such as such” one more time and if you don’t find anything I have some stuff here somewhere that I can make fit. Make it fit?!?! And that was just one occasion where I’ve ran into of fabricated genealogy. There are others.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling so much. Like I said, uh... genealogy... a favorite subject of mine.

Now, to bring it back to how all this relates to whistling, well, I’m sure that with all those ancestors, at least one of them, somewhere, had to have played a whistle. :grin:
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
markv

Post by markv »

Fifth generation Nebraskan. That side's almost all Moravian. Other side is Welsh and Swedish.

MCV
jmadjeski

Post by jmadjeski »

On y dad's side, I have polish, german and english. My polish family (original name was Maciejewski) was a noble merchant family from, you guessed it, Maciejewic somewhere in the east of Poland. The English is distantly related to Henry VIII, so I tell my fiancee to beware! :wink:

On my mothers side is Irish (Maguire from Co. Fermanagh) and Dutch. My great grandfather, Joseph Maguire was a politicain of some sort during the Depression, which basically allowed their family to eat at regular intervals, but I really don't know anything about the Dutch part of my ancestry.

-joe
Don't you hate pants?
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm American. :D
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Any thread on genealogy is bound to get really long on this forum.
Reasonable person
Walden
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

I, also, am in the minority - all Irish. But my mother was born & brought up in NYC (both her parents were from Ireland). And there's even a criminal element there: my grandfather's younger brother (in the black-sheep mold :smile:) used to 'borrow' his car in NYC for a day or two at a time... it turned out (about 50 years later) that he was running moonshine down from Canada! And then there was grandpa's younger sister. Grandpa was sponsored into the States in the 20s by 2 aunts, who also sent the boat fare over. But his then 16-yr-old sister intercepted the letter, and, when she had to read it to their parents, cunningly added her own name... She headed off with him on the 3-week journey from Cobh to New England, during which time they were the only passengers on board not to be horribly seasick... Ah, the stories!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Hey now Paul, we might be kin. Young is my maiden name AND I'm from West(by-God) VA originally.
Paul Healy

Hierlihy

Post by Paul Healy »

Karina wrote:Hm. This could get complicated...
My grandmother is half Latvian, half Russian, and my grandfather is Hungarian. My other grandparents are both Swedish, except for a small strain of English, which comes from half of my great-grandmother's blood...But there is a possibility that someone was Irish, because my 6th great-grandfather was Timothy Hierlihy, who possibly led an Irish brigade in the Americas before the Revolutionary War...
Karina,I'm possibly related to Colonel Hierlihy-my qancestors are also from Ballyvourney,Cork.Also,there is somebody Russian,or Baltic,at the start of the 19th century.How did you find out about your relation to Hierlihy?
hEALY,hISTORICALLY o'HiARFHLATHA,LOOKING INTO ANCESORS IN mACROOM,wEST cORK,ALSO AT PROBABLE WILD gEESE SERVICE IN THE mILITARY.
Zoe

fun thread

Post by Zoe »

Well, my maternal grandmother, Minnie Jennings was a p********t irish from County Mayo. Came to US around 1920 when things there between protestant and catholic got bad for the landowners. She married a Welsh coalminer in Ohio. My paternal side is an american mutt--going all the way back to the Englishman, George Soule, who came over on the Mayflower, with a bit of Dutch, German, and lots of English mixed in. So I'm really just 1/4 Irish, but I look 100% from the West of Ireland (fair skin, blue eyes, and black curly hair).
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, this is an old thread, but what the heck. At least it's about something I can answer. :lol: My mom's all Swedish and my dad is half Swedish and half unknown. So I guess that makes me 3/4 Swedish and 1/4 mystery.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
IrishLass

Post by IrishLass »

I guess I am boring - Mostly English, with some Irish thrown in. Nothing else thrown in that I am aware of. :)

Carolyn
"Sing to the Lord a new song" Psalm 149:1
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Re: fun thread

Post by Whistling Willie »

Zoe wrote:Well, my maternal grandmother, Minnie Jennings was a p********t irish from County Mayo.
And what would be wrong with that :x :swear:
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Maternally: Irish and Breton/French.

Paternally: Pretty much everything! :boggle:

Culturally: Texican/Ozarkian (or just plain ol' redneck) :twisted: :P
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo