Parkinson's/Education link. Weird.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Parkinson's/Education link. Weird.

Post by emmline »

http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=2278772005
I first encountered this today, in no less a journal than the Campus Crier, at the community college where I take Spanish.

I'm particularly interested, as my father has the disease.

It seems there's a strong correlation between years of education and statistical likelihood of ending up with Parkinson's.

I find this so strange. In addition to those more highly educated being more susceptible, smoking seems to reduce one's Parkinson's risk.

This is not an ailment that plays fair!--at least not by the rules we usually associate with disease risk.

I will continue to run up and down stairs as an impediment to both Parkinson's and osteoporosis...and I will keep drinking coffee which seems to have a protective influence--in addition to antioxidants.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Hey, babe. What's shakin'? :D

From what I've read, it is more likely that Parkinson's is related to damage as a result of viral infection to the nervous system. Michael J. Fox may have made some attrocious movies and tv shows, but he's pumping millions into research. This is the kind of stuff they're turning up.

The only person in our family to ever get Parkinson's is an uncle who was a tail gunner in a Lancaster, shot down over Europe, and spent a few years in a German POW camp. His doctor's figure the disease is a result of the abuse and malnutrition he suffered there. Strange that it only started to show up when he was in his seventies.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The researchers, from the Mayo Clinic, in Olmsted County, Minnesota, examined the medical records of everyone in Olmsted County who developed Parkinson's from 1976 to 1995.

They found the highest levels of Parkinson's disease in people with nine or more years of education. The degree of risk was seen to rise with additional years of schooling.

Among a range of occupations, physicians were most at risk, while people in active, manual jobs, such as construction and factory workers, had the lowest risk.

No clear explanation for the trend has yet been found. But previous Parkinson's research has shown that regular exercise can protect against the disease, and, for those already affected, slow its onset. Researchers theorise the risk of Parkinson's may be higher in people with sedentary occupations

Ummm, the "years of study" were nine? In Olmsted County, Minnesota? That would be 9th grade.

The researchers examined medical records of people in ONE county who had been diagnosed with Parkinson's. They didn't take all people in the county and examine them to see if they had Parkinson's.

So, what they found was that, of the people who had access to medical care in Olmsted County AND who had already been diagnosed with Parkinson's, there was an association with higher education.

Duh! In the US, there is an association between having medical care and income, and there is an association between income and education. Of course, there would be fewer pre-9th grade drop-out manual laborers being diagnosed with Parkinson's, because those sorts of people don't go to doctors unless things are far advanced and desperate. Unlike the UK, they cannot afford to go to doctors. They have no insurance.

And who would be most likely to identify early signs of Parkinson's in themselves and self-diagnose and seek care for it? Or an explanation? Those with higher education, particularly physicians.

Well, I'm sure they adjusted for all that.

I think it more likely that there is an association with lutefisk. Minnesota, you know. Hmmm, I wonder did they say anything about an association with membership in the Sons of Norway . . .
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

You tell 'em Lambchop. I agree. These studies are bunkola.

djm. That's fascinating about your Uncle.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
emmline

Post by emmline »

djm wrote:From what I've read, it is more likely that Parkinson's is related to damage as a result of viral infection to the nervous system.
As I understand it, and I may understand it incorrectly, the viral
explanation is thought to be more applicable in the early onset cases.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I know a lot of people here in Windsor who have Parkinsomes disease, when it comes to making a choice to park mall style by just driving right in and parking, or having to parallel park, they choose to parkinsome other place, thus having parkinsomes disease.

Seems that parallel parking has become a lost art form, and when people have no choice, they start shaking all over the place.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

emmline, just keep running up and down the stairs and don't drop your Spanish class. Pretend you hate to study! It is a strange thing to read, especially in the newspaper where a person is taking classes! :lol: And don't join the Sons of Norway, just in case.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: Nice one, MarkB. Though I shouldn't laugh - I hate trying to parallel park my Yukon.

One of the stories I found interesting from watching a show with MJFox was about how a bunch of the crew on the X-Files all got very sick while filming in Vancouver, BC. The sickness involved several of the people developing serious fevers. A few years after the show, two of the crew developed Parkinson's. Statistically this is supposed to be really odd, but it was one of the reasons given for suspecting viral damage in the brain as being a precursor.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Ok here we go, (takes a deep breath),

I have Parkinson's too, also young onset, I'm about the same age as MJF and we had similiar initial symptoms and experiences. And for your pole on education level: 5 years of college. I started in playing music about the same time I was getting diagnosed (but that's another story). As we've gone along this path, my dexterity has continued to improve. At every 6 month appointment dr. says, "You should be getting worse not better," and I remind him about the whistles. Harrah for whistles!

Yes I shake, yes sometimes after midnight the meds give out and I can't play any more, but playing gives me so much. I would be interested to chat with others with Parkinson's who play whistle. (Now there is a narrow demographic...).

Nancy
emmline

Post by emmline »

NancyF wrote: I started in playing music about the same time I was getting diagnosed (but that's another story). As we've gone along this path, my dexterity has continued to improve.
That's the best thing I've heard all day! Thanks for sharing that Nancy.
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

forgot i was going to share my haiku

Shaky fingers play
Ornaments unintended
Yet my whistle sings

Nancyf (yes I wrote it)
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Good on you, Nancy.

My father has Parkinson's.
We can't even remember anymore when it was Mom called us all to tell us.
He has done very well over the years, with his medications.

He is 80 now, and doing less well. But his life has been very busy, active, and he is still mentally alert.

I am not afraid of it.

M
emmline

Post by emmline »

Lambchop wrote:I think it more likely that there is an association with lutefisk
I'd agree that all studies need to be approached with one's critical thinking cap on. OTOH, it is rarely useful to dismiss any new data out of hand.