IT'S THE WHITE DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

We got about 6" last night and this morning---quite a bit for us. I shoveled the front walk and side paths of the house. Whew! It's light and dry though and very beautiful. Husband will do driveway with snowblower. About 10 degrees F here. Twenty degrees warmer than it was yesterday morning! We may get more tonight. I love it as long as I don't have to drive.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Charlene wrote:What ever happened to the days when the winter weather forecast was "it's going to snow." No screaming, no panic, no "WINTER STORM WARNING" - just a statement of fact. It's winter, it's going to snow.

And why do idiots insist on driving exactly the same on snow and ice as they do on dry pavement??

Just checked the temperature here, it's 20F at 2:15 pm, the sun is shining on 6 inches of snow and ice. Main streets are ok except in the shady spots but the side streets are an ice rink. And it's not even officially winter yet. Yuck.
Forget "official." Why the U.S. chose to make Midwinter the official "start" of winter is anybody's guess. In the rest of the world, winter starts in November. Summer starts in May. And so on. It's much more realistic.

My dad sent me some pics from their house in Spokane the other day. Man, I'm sure glad I don't have to drive in that!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:What... what is.... what's snow? :P
Joseph, snow in Florida looks like this:

Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

We didn't get any snow, but we got a buttload of ice and sleet...temps are still in the teens. Most freeways were iced over yesterday, but are much better today. I think 95% of the dallas school districts took a show day..
emmline

Post by emmline »

They're predicting yuckage for us tonight, and possibly delayed or closed schools tomorrow. I'm in denial.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

It's real cold here, might freeze. Had to light the heater two days ago.
The Ac bill goes down and the gas goes up.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I wore shorts today.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

Wimps!

:wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

djm wrote:Wimps!

:wink:

djm
You can say that from where you are.....But be careful! :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

peteinmn wrote:
May those things you folks euphemistically call "Palmetto Bugs" invade your knickers (while you're wearing them). :D
What makes you think they haven't already? Hmmmmmmmm? :lol:
Tony wrote:
Joseph, snow in Florida looks like this:

EVERYBODY SING:

... Oh, the weather outside is frightful
and my dear, you're so delightful
we have nowhere else to go
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

:D

*(For what it is worth, I am NOT advocating drug use. So kids, stay away from drugs, them things'll kill ya'!!!!)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Charlene wrote:And why do idiots insist on driving exactly the same on snow and ice as they do on dry pavement??
That really had me scared for a minute until I remembered that what we call a pavement you call a sidewalk.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
missy

Post by missy »

well, I survived to make it back into work this morning. The radio is wonderful - they keep reading all 350 school closings over and over and over, and will keep doing so until about 8:30am.
(up until this year, I didn't have to listen. I was on the "call list" of the superintendant cuz she was a good friend).

The roads are actually pretty good once you get out of our neighborhood. Interstates are fine.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We got ours last night. I measured 6 and 8 inches in my yard this morning depending on where you stand. My daughter called me after I got to work and said her car was stuck. She and her husband don't have a shovel. I asked them if they'd ever lived in Michigan before. She didn't appreciate the sarcasm.

This was an unusual storm in that it came up from the south as opposed from the northeast. The majority of our annual snowfall comes from lake effect snow. This was different.
missy wrote: made it home - only took twice as long as it should have.
Glad you made it.
(there's already over an inch at our house).
Snicker snicker. Better close the town. snicker snicker. Wouldn't want that "inch" of snow to cause any problems. Snicker snicker.
There's this little switch somewhere on everybodies car. It has a picture of a light on it. When visibility is virtually nill because of blowing snow and salt thrown up by other cars, it MIGHT be a good time to tune this on.
Nothing worse than trying to drive with people who aren't accustomed to snow.
4 X 4's don't stop any better then any other vehicle. Saw at least 3 of them sideways on my drive home.
Ha. I love that. What bozos. That happens around here too but not too frequently.
charlene wrote: What ever happened to the days when the winter weather forecast was "it's going to snow." No screaming, no panic, no "WINTER STORM WARNING" - just a statement of fact. It's winter, it's going to snow.
Augh. That drives me crazy. Every time theres a flurry they have to have a WINTER SNOW WARNING or ADVISORY. Have you also noticed how every time it snows it's a "Snow EVENT"?

redwolf wrote: Forget "official." Why the U.S. chose to make Midwinter the official "start" of winter is anybody's guess. In the rest of the world, winter starts in November. Summer starts in May. And so on. It's much more realistic.

It's based on the solstice and equanox, not on climate patterns.

Dec 21 (winter solstace) - March 21 (vernal equinox) = Winter.
March 21 - June 21 (Summer solstice) = Spring.
June 21 - Sept. 21 (autumnal equinox) = Summer.
Sept 21 - Dec 21 = Autumn.

I wasn't aware that the rest of the world did it differently. Especially since it's spring in the southern hemisphere. I don't think they'd call it winter.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:EVERYBODY SING:
Did you say you saw your good friend flying low?
Flying low, blinded by snow.
- Hoyt Axton

:D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

HoHummm, yawn. We got 15 cm during the night, the sun is out, everything is open and running but across the river in Detroit, it is a major panic, schools closed all over the place, ditches filled with four wheel drive vehicles, forget anyother news, the snow is the thing this morning. Every reporter from all four networks reporting from wherever, "they got this amount...blah blah.

But then drivers here in Windsor are just as bad, a great day to own a body shop!

Moi? I had an easy ten minute walk to work as usual via Tim Horton's and it is quiet in the library.

Mark
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.