Y'all in California will laugh...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Y'all in California will laugh...

Post by scottielvr »

...but we had an earthquake today...here in little old Burnsville NC (pop. 1700 - and still growing!)

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/ ... 3.-81.html

It was actually only a "micro-earthquake," 2.8; altogether unimpressive, but mighty exciting stuff for this place; half the folks in town are proudly telling anyone who'll listen that the epicenter was right underneath their house. The old boys at the Feed and Seed will be chewing it over for months.

Come to find out, with the help of the Geological Society of America Bulletin, that Burnsville has its own fault...a high-grade fault, thank you very much. Who knew? ;-)

"...New mapping and structural, petrologic, and geochronologic data from western North Carolina show that the contact between the eastern and western Blue Ridge provinces is a Devonian high-grade, dextral strike-slip fault zone, the Burnsville fault. ....The Burnsville fault extends ~100 km in northwestern North Carolina and likely correlates with other faults that continue into northwesternmost North Carolina and southwestern Virginia, and southwestern North Carolina."
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Congratulations on your newly discovered fault. May you have years of shocking good fun.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

Isn't it great to finally find out that you have a fault? Being perfect all the time can be such a bore. 8)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That's exciting news! :lol: Let's hope they don't get any bigger. That might be too much of a good thing.

That little appliqued (I think) scottie avatar is the cutest darn thing!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Congratulations! :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

You can be the first retailer in your town to sell Simpson Strong-Tie earthquake retrofit products! I'm buying stock even as we speak! Little blip in sales in the SouthEast.

Glad you're okay. The experts still know little even though they give their best efforts to understand seismic behavior.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

There are quite a few old faults in this part of the country. Most of them are inactive, but they can slip occasionally. I remember a small one ~ 4 that woke me up early in the morning last year. Put a crack in the foundation of my house actually ( I was at school at the time, but my mother pointed it out to me when I went home)
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

We got us a fault line, here, too. They are no fun.
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Sounds like fun Scottie.
:D

In about 3,000 years or so, the Saint Croix fault line will slip a bit, and the Twin Cities can have some fun too. Actually, I did feel a tremor while living there back in the early 90s, but I don't think it was the St. Croixs' fault. :D
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I seem to recall a story about 20 or so years back that reported that students at UC Berkeley had identifed 3 extremely small minor faults that ran near campus. They were given the privilege of naming them, and came up with:

My Fault
Your Fault
Dean XXXX's Fault (I forget the Dean's actual last name)

The story was so perfect I've been afraid of looking into it further and finding that it wasn't true. :lol:

Yes, I did laugh about hearing about your earthquake (sorry!).

Californians (at least the ones living near faults) tend to be a bit macho about earthquakes, and it needs to be at least a Richter 5 before most of us pay much attention. They're dangerous, but you make your plans in advance and go on with your life.

Now tornados and hurricanes - those scare me silly!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Certainly it must now be Bush' Fault.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

The Weekenders wrote:Certainly it must now be Bush' Fault.
Oh, certainly. Listen to some local radio stations and everything, including hurricanes and earthquakes, is Bush's fault. And it *is* Bezerkeley, after all. :twisted:
cowtime

Re: Y'all in California will laugh...

Post by cowtime »

scottielvr wrote:...but we had an earthquake today...here in little old Burnsville NC (pop. 1700 - and still growing!)

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/ ... 3.-81.html

It was actually only a "micro-earthquake," 2.8; altogether unimpressive, but mighty exciting stuff for this place; half the folks in town are proudly telling anyone who'll listen that the epicenter was right underneath their house. The old boys at the Feed and Seed will be chewing it over for months.

Come to find out, with the help of the Geological Society of America Bulletin, that Burnsville has its own fault...a high-grade fault, thank you very much. Who knew? ;-)

"...New mapping and structural, petrologic, and geochronologic data from western North Carolina show that the contact between the eastern and western Blue Ridge provinces is a Devonian high-grade, dextral strike-slip fault zone, the Burnsville fault. ....The Burnsville fault extends ~100 km in northwestern North Carolina and likely correlates with other faults that continue into northwesternmost North Carolina and southwestern Virginia, and southwestern North Carolina."
I always get Burnsville and Bakersville confused in my mind.....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West