For Non Smokers Only

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

please read first post and then answer

all non smokers
51%
mixed
49%

Total votes: 45

talasiga
antispam: No

For Non Smokers Only

Post by talasiga »

Have any of your lovers been smokers?
If you haven't been a non smoker all your life, were any of your lovers smokers at a time when you were a non smoker?
It's mostly about kissing.
See the poll.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Are there really so few non smokers here?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

shut up!

Post by Guest »

Yeah! <br>
emmline

Post by emmline »

I've always found smoke-breath to be kind of a turn-off. I don't know. Maybe I could get used to it if there were other sensual qualities which superceded the olfactory.

It's entirely possible that the way my husband metabolizes garlic is worse.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

emmline wrote:It's entirely possible that the way my husband metabolizes garlic is worse.
:o :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Montana

Post by Montana »

Unfortunately I've had lovers who smoked. But both of them were very conscientious about their smoking. They always went outside and were reticent to kiss me after they had been smoking. That part bothered me. I don't like the taste when I kiss them after they've been smoking but I also don't like the feeling of being pushed away. In a way it was like the smoking could take precedence over kissing.
I would prefer to have a non-smoking lover. But everyone has their pros and cons so I'll take smoking over excessive drinking or something like that.
The person I'm with right now has been smoking a long time (30+ years). Worse than the kissing taste is the breath smell that occurs at night. I guess the lungs are trying to clear themselves but it smells really rank if people end up mouth-breathing. The lungs are definitely in the decay point. Blah...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

My ex-wife smoked to look cool when we first me (we were both under 20), with those dark brown paper cigs from France or somewhere, but so infrequently that I could almost hit the non button.

I don't like kissin' ashtrays and have never smoked except the experimental adolescent puff and the annual stogie (which reminds me why I don't smoke).

I really think it's unattractive on both sexes. But this is the result of years of intense anti-smokin' efforts, much of it paid for by taxes. Whenever I see some dreamy lookin' moviestar drawing on a cig, I always wonder how they manage to not have tearing, blood-shot eyes from the things...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I had forgotten about that kiss!

Once I was kissed by a friend who smoked, though never in my presence. I was immobile, having done something odd to my neck. So I couldn't resist, though I can't remember if I was sure I wanted to.

What I remember is that he inhaled, the whole time. It seemed like a strange kiss at the time (partly because it came unexpectedly). Later I realized it was because he was inhaling, and that he was inhaling because he was a particularly considerate smoker who didn't wish to offend me.

That was my first and last kiss from a smoker. Not so terrible. But I think I probably won't have many more opportunities any time soon, and I'm not regretting it.

Jennie
missy

Post by missy »

Tom smokes. He also uses a lot of breath spray, brushes his teeth a lot, and uses mouth wash before coming to bed. He also ONLY smokes outside - even if we are somewhere that others are smoking inside.

It's the one thing I would like to "change" in him - but he doesn't want to, so that's that.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

All non-

For me it's not really an option - I've been allergic to tobacco smoke since I was a kid (clinically confirmed, used to need shots 3 times a week). My folks were smokers, though they did, after I was diagnosed, quite smoking in the house or car when I was present. But like a lot of other smokers I've met over the years they weren't aware of how much their clothes, and their car, smelled like smoke. And why I'd insist on cracking the window on even the coldest days. To their credit, they are embarassed and apologetic about their former cluelessness (and they've both since quit - though Dad still goes through a couple of packs of gum a day in compensation, 19 years after quiting).

I'm not quite as sensitive these days (I can tolerate smoke for brief periods, if I must) but I've always felt lucky that none of my girlfriends, including my now wife, were smokers.

It's not a moral issue for me, but a comfort/health issue. Cancer risks aside, I can understand the appeal - it provides a break in the day, it's calming, and tobacco smoke can smell good (some pipe and cigar tobaccos, at least). But anything more than minimal exposure leads me to a coughing, congestion, and asthma.

If I go to someone else's home, I don't try to change their habits. I may limit my time there if they smoke, and will probably stay across the room, but that's about it. I certainly don't want my smoking friends to feel unwelcome in my house, either - I keep ashtrays handy to put on the patio for smoking guests, and I'm quite happy to sit there (or play music there) with them. But there's no smoking inside our house because it's just too hard to clean up afterwards (when we bought the house, we had to replace all the drapes, steam-clean the carpets twice, and repaint EVERYTHING to get rid of the lingering odor).

Didn't mean to write this long rant. I am *not* a rabid anti-smoker, I don't want to tax them out of existance, I don't want to make smoking illegal, I don't look down on smokers, and I've got mixed feelings about gov't smoking bans. But I can see how all these ended up being legislated - all it takes is *one* jerk who thinks someone with a health issue is being "silly" to undo the good will that the hundred or so polite smokers have built up.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

What's a lover?

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I was not always a non-smoker but I never dated anyone or kissed anyone who was a smoker. 50 years ago there weren't that many girls who smoked. My wife of 47 years is and always has been a non-smoker.
Enough said.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

SteveShaw wrote:What's a lover?

Steve
:lol: :lol: :lol: Here, have another smoke....... :D

I am a smoker, my wife never has been. I do not smoke in the house because of this... and the fact that my dog doesn't smoke either.

Stiffer smoking policies don't bother me in the least. Whiny, "everybody's out to get me", "Jayzus, can't smoke anywhere these days" do bother me... a lot.
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:Whiny, "everybody's out to get me", "Jayzus, can't smoke anywhere these days" do bother me... a lot.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that every one isn't out to get you. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.