Handel's "Messiah"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Handel's "Messiah"

Post by fyffer »

Yesterday, my church choir performed the Christmas portion of Handel's "Messiah" with a chamber orchestra and our pipe organ (which was actually played by GF Handel himself before it was shipped to the colonies, and was also played by the son of Johann Pachelbel - our organist at the time). I'm not a usual member of the choir, but I sing with them from time to time as a "ringer" when they need to beef up their ranks.

It was a wonderfully moving experience, though not the stellar performance overall I would have liked, but to look around the audience during some portions of the concert, and see many people visibly moved, was well worth every high A I squawked out (I'm really a baritone, but they needed tenors).

Anyone else have and want to share a similarly moving musical experience?

-Chris
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'll never forget the first time I sang in "Messiah." It was the most incredible experience...as if I'd been lifted out of time, and there was no "me" or "them" but only the music. A little taste of heaven, maybe. :)

And then there was the time we did Mozart's "Requiem" during Lent. We must have had divine help for that one, because our little, bitty choir absolutely rocked (16 members on a really good day...usually we're lucky if we field 12), and when the last chord died away it was almost painful to realize it was over.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

For a couple of years my wife and I played in a small baroque ensemble: 3 recorders, harpsichord and viola da gamba. For a bunch of amateurs, we were pretty decent and actually got several paid and volunteer gigs. One was in St. Paul's church in Troy NY. This is a late 19th century building with the most amazing GENUINE Tiffany windows on all sides. It features a vaulted ceiling and the acoustics are really wonderful. One piece we played was a suite from Handel's Rodrigo. The concert was held at noon, so sunlight was streaming through the stained glass. The sound was excellent, and we were really playing well that day. Although Rodrigo was originally scored for a full Baroque orchestra, we managed to fill the space. Religious or not, it was hard not to feel the touch of the divine at that moment.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The best Messiah performance for me was in a pretty large chorus in college. Not that I could get all the notes (All We Like Sheep---woe is me!), but as for Redwolf, there were some moments when I felt outside myself to the point that I could hardly sing. It was the first time I had sung in it and it was a pretty good performance.

I always find it so moving when the audience stands up for the Halleluia Chorus, whether I'm in the chorus or in the audience. I know it is just tradition now, but the idea of actually standing up to acknowledge how extremely beautiful something is just does something to me.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Cynth wrote:I always find it so moving when the audience stands up for the Halleluia Chorus, whether I'm in the chorus or in the audience. I know it is just tradition now, but the idea of actually standing up to acknowledge how extremely beautiful something is just does something to me.
They did that for us too, even though the Hallelujah chorus is not part of the Christmas section (nor is the "Amen", which we didn't do, much to my chagrin). We did it right after "His Yoke is Easy" (which isn't), attaca into "Hallelujah". That was our final piece.

It's one sure way to induce a standing ovation, whether or not you've earned it (but we sure did :) )
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

A couple years ago at Easter, we did "Worthy is the Lamb" from Messiah as the anthem. Unfortunately, the choirmaster wouldn't let us do the big "amen" that follows since it was longer than the "Worthy" movement and the service was going to be long enough as it was. So, we did a modified amen that lasted about 3 seconds to end "Worthy" in the right key. Argh!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I have always loved the Messiah but that Emmline one - you know the one, good looking woman that can't cook - ruined it for me.
There was a thread about a year back concerning a musical version of Tourettes syndrome and the fair emm posted up something about breaking into the DAYO bit of the Banana boat song in the middle of the Halleluia Chorus.
Ever since then the two are inseperable in my mind....

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote:... emm posted up something about breaking into the DAYO bit of the Banana boat song in the middle of the Halleluia Chorus.

Slan,
I'm SO glad I did that to you! :lol:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

What I love about Handel is he wrote reasonable alto parts. So much choral music out there seems to presume that altos are really just mezzo-sopranos there wasn't room for in the section. We're doing a piece next week that has high E's in the alto part! There's no way that's going to happen unless someone pokes me with a pin at the right moment (and then it ain't gonna be pretty!). I'm a tenor trapped in the body of a woman! :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

emmline wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:... emm posted up something about breaking into the DAYO bit of the Banana boat song in the middle of the Halleluia Chorus.

Slan,
I'm SO glad I did that to you! :lol:
And now dubh is SO glad he did that to us! :lol:

Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Bob Mitchell is a legend. The Mitchell boys choir has appeared or sang in over 200 movies. Bob is slowing down now that he is approaching the century mark in age, and the choir is no more.

Several years ago, a friend of mine put together a video tribute with clips of the Mitchell boys from over a dozen of the movies, over a span of five decades. One of the last group of choir boys showed up to watch the video. As they watched, the boys spontaneously broke out in song.

After it was over, choir director Bob Mitchell stood up and commanded the attention of his young charges (ages 8 to 16). If you have any experience around boys that age, you know how difficult it is to hold their attention. With a twinkle in his eye, Mr. Mitchell led the boys for two impromptu songs. That is a moment of clarity that I find difficult to describe. Words don't approach what I felt, a papable sense, as if a curtain was lifted and I suddenly could see clearly. As if all those years, all those performances, where unfurling in front of me in a span of a few moments.

For those interested in the Mitchell boys choir, there was a PBS special about ten years ago. Unfortunately, I do not see it available at the local station or the national site.