Used to be about Rent--now about the 3 Stooges.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Used to be about Rent--now about the 3 Stooges.

Post by emmline »

Years ago, when ET had its first theatrical run, my grandmother and her friend decided they'd better see this film all their friends were loving. She didn't like it. This made no sense to me. How could anyone not like ET? So, after I pushed her for an explanation, she finally said, "Well, I didn't see why the little boy couldn't find friends of his own kind..."
Funny story, but years later I find myself recalling how my otherwise lovely grandmother's southern xenophobia got in the way of her being able to enjoy a good, and touching, story.

And this is what I thought of when my mother, upon hearing that the kids and I were going to see Rent, described how she had not enjoyed the stage show, and, in fact, left at intermission. In her words, it was "too modern" for her. Actually, it's not all that modern, being structured after Puccini's La Boheme, but my mother, who would never treat anyone unkindly whatever her opinion of their life choices, was unable to overcome her ingrained biases to just enjoy the show and the story.

I saw it for the second time tonight. This time I was familiar enough with the cd to notice that several pieces had been edited from the film post cd production. For length purposes most likely, as the movie runs 2h15m.
I have not seen the stage production for comparison, but loved the flick, and the story it told. Most of the original Broadway cast reprised their roles, with a couple of exceptions, and they were all great.
The girls and I will be humming the tunes at each other until we buy the dvd...and then we'll just hum more.

Good show. Celebratory of love and life.
Last edited by emmline on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

After reading such a tasty piece of writing I will just have to check out the DVD myself.
The chances of a stage production coming anywhere near here are too infinitesimal for the human mind to calculate...alas.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I saw the Broadway versiojn twice, loved it. I am hesitant about seeing the movie... but extremely curious as well.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Saw Rent on the stage, thought it was ok, well written, well performed, but just not something that I'm nuts over. I certainly couldn't get why everyone went gaga over it. Probably wont see the film, ten years ago I might have.
LWW, however doesn't come out til the 9th, so we'll see about that when it arrives. I plan on seeing it on friday. I've just re-re-read LWW so that it's fresh in my mind.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm glad I don't have to pay rent anymore.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote:I haven't watched the Lions all year. They haven't been playing well at all.
you do know we love you because you're a smarta$$, not in spite of it, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I haven't watched the Lions all year. They haven't been playing well at all.
you do know we love you because you're a smarta$$, not in spite of it, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Pot... Kettle... Black.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Denny

Post by Denny »

jsluder wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Pot... Kettle... Black.
...and who would know better! :lol:
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Denny wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: you do know we love you because you're a smarta$$, not in spite of it, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Pot... Kettle... Black.
I can live with being a black pot, but can fly handle being the kettle? :D :lol:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Denny wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: you do know we love you because you're a smarta$$, not in spite of it, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Pot... Kettle... Black.
A dumba$$ like you? :twisted:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:I can live with being a black pot, but can fly handle being the kettle? :D :lol:
Blackflies are nasty little buggers.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

From The Black Fly Song, by Wade Hemsworth

http://www.angelfire.com/on/abitibicanyon/blackfly.html
'Twas early in the spring when I decide to go
For to work up in the woods of North Ontario.
The unemployment office said they'd send me through
To the Little Abitibi with the survey crew

And the black flies, the little black flies
Always the black fly no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly a Pickin' my bones
In North Ontar-i-o-i-o, In North Ontar-i-o

'Twas blackfly, blackfly, everywhere
A-crawlin' in your whiskers, a-crawlin' in your hair
A-swimmin' in the soup and a-swimmin' in the tea
The devil take the blackfly and let me be.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

jsluder wrote:
Denny wrote:
jsluder wrote: Pot... Kettle... Black.
A dumba$$ like you? :twisted:
That was the correct answer!

Throw the man a fish... :lol:
jsluder