Thanksgiving- & whistles- Chime in!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lisdoonvarna
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Thanksgiving- & whistles- Chime in!

Post by lisdoonvarna »

Besides all the people I love, my health, home, and my Tacoma, I'm thankful for picking up a Feadog whistle in Ireland 10 years ago as my only souvenir. I couldn't play it and stuck it in a drawer for 5 years. I'm thankful for hearing Joanie Madden's knockout playing on her Immigrant tune a few years later and the subsequent purchase of a Clark whistle which I could learn on. Then I'm thankful for hearing Seamus Egan live play a low whistle so beautifully my mouth hung open for 5 minutes after the tune. I'm thankful for the Cetic music, the most beautiful music in the world, I'm thankful for all the little whistle children I've been adopting ever since. Generation Bb and a Generation Bb I changed to an A, high D's by Dixon, Sweetone, Shaw, Feadog, A magnificent Chieftain low D, A hauntingly beautiful Shaw low D, two copper whistles I made in low F and low G. A Shaw low F that's airy and haunting. A Susato low C (help!) I'm thankful for them all and just realized I need professional help. WHOA!!!!
Which whistles are you thankful for?
Lisdoonvarna
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Every one! There's not a turkey in the lot!... well... OK... there are one or two, only, that I'm just keeping because I simply cannot bear to throw away a whistle. But I love all the rest!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I am so thankful I found whistles, tin and others. It had led to an entire world of music, of songwriting, of people, that I would never have found otherwise. My music is one of the most rewarding, most satisfying areas of my life and a lot of it is due to the simple yet hard to master instrument.

I have had a persistent cough and a busy schedule lately so not much time for whistle or flute playing. A few minutes of quiet contemplation with the whistle does so much good, it is palpable.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I love my Copeland 2-piece brass lowD. I love my Goldie-Overton lowD. There are more whistles that I still will love in the future, I'm thinking wood..
I want to thank all the people here for being such a good crowd, I consider a great deal of you as the closest thing to friends, although never having met any of you.

Here's to you all!
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

Well I'm thankfull for so many things... but right now, I want to thank specially my whistle teacher, and all the members of C&F. This is a great place to learn and share experiences. You're all great, thanks for being here!

Happy thanksgiving!
Cristian Feldman
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm thankful for a lot this year, but , whistlewise-

I'm thankful for all of them.

The good ones, 'cause they are great to play

The ones that play a bit "off" because I can let my 2 1/2 year old grandaughter play on them and not worry if she's occasionally rough on them. Tonight she "played" for us- which consists of her blowing a note over and over while moving her fingers and then taking a dramatic bow.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Wow...which ones am I NOT thankful for? I love 'em all!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm thankkful for:

My first whistle, a Clarke original C with its accompanying Bill Ochs book and cassette;
My first whistle set, D,C, Bflat Susato;
My formative years (whistlewise) whistles - Gens, Waltons, Soodlums, Faedogs;
My first high-ender - a Thin Weasel cocobolo;
My first low whistle - a Howard Low D;
My first Copeland;
My first O'Riordan;
My first Abell;
My first Overton and the ensuing diaphragmatic breathing;
My first Sindt;
My first Burke;
My little green friend Busman traveling companion.

More imprtantly:

The teacher I found through my first tune book;
The first chance to play with others, Tom and Bloomy;
The ongoing discourse and relationships with so many wonderful players and makers (Glenn, Michael C., Michael B., Patrick, Colin and Briggitte, Paul, John, Erle, Dave, Eric, Stacey, Chris, Ralph, and Sandy);
The special retailers who've let me play their instruments from NY to Calif;
The unbelievable artists (Cathall, Joannie, et al) who ignite our passion;
The chance to meet all those wonderful people at the NE Gathering;
Dale for bringing it all together;
This community for too many reasons to list...

Happy Whistling Holidays to All

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
markbell

Post by markbell »

I'm thankful for the Clare D that my late, beloved father-in-law brought me from his trip to Ireland in 1987. It got me started whistling!

I'm thankful for my trusty Clarke D traditional that I've played until the gold diamonds simply wore away.

I'm thankful for the Hoover low E that Mack let me help build.

I'm thankful for a Chieftain low D that seems to have a soul (and sometimes a mind) of its own.
sibilo ergo sum
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

In the whistle world, what I'm most thankful for is being able to make whistles and all that that pursuit has brought me and my wife. I've made friends literally around the world and joined this eclectic whistle community. I've learned woodworking skills that give me immeasurable enjoyment and pride. The learning process has stretched my imagination (and patience!) and taught me much that I can use in the other areas of my life. The additional income has allowed Charlene and me to do many things that we probably would not have done otherwise such as buying a pair of kayaks, taken several trips, etc. What a long, wonderful trip it's been! Thanks for all on Chiff and Fipple for coming along for the ride.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!