Zombie films...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Zombie films...

Post by Tyler »

Ok.
A few of us banter back and forth from time to time about the Zombie flicks we like, but have never really gotten around to a thread before, so...

What's your favorite zombie film and why?

My fav is, of course, the original black and white version (though the colorized version is cool) of Night of the Living Dead. The remake (1990) was good, but lacked the sense of closed in claustrophobic madness that the original Romero film produced.
After that, I have to draw a tie between the original Dawn of the Dead and the 2004 remake; they're both excellent in their own right.
Next has to be Shaun of the Dead, which I thought was a total scream, no pun intended.
I really have enjoyed the "new-age" zombie films like 28 Days Later and the Resident Evil movies because of their technological/biological/scientific twist on zombies.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

By the way, here is a list of Zombie films for your viewing pleasure...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_movies
and Wikipedia's Zombie page too...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie
and a Zombie infection rate simulator...
http://zombies.insertdisc.com/mattcordes/
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

I think I've only seen one zombie film-I Walked with a Zombie. I saw it when I was very youg and it scared me halfway to being a zombie myself. At one time my wife and I got into vampire films and we saw some pretty horrible pictures but Blood and Roses was pretty good.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Plan 9 From Outer Space (well it has zombies in it)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
emmline

Post by emmline »

I was about to say I'd never seen one other than Thriller...but I've seen Plan 9 also, and, according to JB, it counts.
And we still sometimes use the spaceship peoples' salute around our house--the one where you cross your arms and slap your shoulders.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I'm not really the 'slasher flick' type, but Dawn of the Living Dead put me off of eating pork chops, liver and onions and sushi for days. :D A classic.
djm

Post by djm »

I don't know why, but zombies and vampires have never done it for me. In fact, they bore me to tears. If you you don't buy into the premise that these things are horrible scary, then the rest of the films fall flat on their faces. A good performance by an actor can still move me (e.g. Sigourney Weaver at the end of the first Alien flick), but a mere situation is not enough to get me going.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:I don't know why, but zombies and vampires have never done it for me. In fact, they bore me to tears. If you you don't buy into the premise that these things are horrible scary, then the rest of the films fall flat on their faces. A good performance by an actor can still move me (e.g. Sigourney Weaver at the end of the first Alien flick), but a mere situation is not enough to get me going.

djm
a reanimated flesh eating corpse isn't enough to get ya going eh? Ok, maybe not one reanimated flesh eating corpse, but a whole whorde of em?
They bite!!! with human teeth!!!
Human teeth are dull, they hurt more!!!
And you get infected!!!!
And if you lived in the USA your HMO wouldn't cover that kind of injury!!!
Now if that's not horror, I don't know what is! :P
I suppose they treat zombie bites every day in Canada now, no wonder you're not scared of zombies! You just walk into a treatment center and get cured! Universal healthcare is a wonderful thing; there's no way my HMO would cover de-zombification! And considering that 60% of all Americans are uninsured, is it any wonder that zombies are so scary here? :P
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tyler Morris wrote: And considering that 60% of all Americans are uninsured, is it any wonder that zombies are so scary here? :P
I live in a glorified trailer park here in FL, where 60% of the people are uninsured Booze Zombies.... trust me, it is very, VERY scary. :D
djm

Post by djm »

Tyler wrote:I suppose they treat zombie bites every day in Canada now, no wonder you're not scared of zombies! You just walk into a treatment center and get cured! Universal healthcare is a wonderful thing; there's no way my HMO would cover de-zombification! And considering that 60% of all Americans are uninsured, is it any wonder that zombies are so scary here?
Are you still buying into that old myth? What health care? I can't even get a doctor. The big to-do now is that major American clinics and hospitals are setting up offices in various cities here to "help" Canadians get down to the US easily for more timely/advanced treatment.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... /National/

No, zombies don't bother me. After you have worked for large government and large corporations for decades, zombies just sort of roll off the shoulder. Now, Shaun of the Dead is a totally different matter. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Hmmm...in my experience, the zombies tend to work in the hospitals. They wind up in an office driving a desk; for some reason, hospitals won't fire an idiot, while good nurses come and go...

Oh, wait...I see...you mean flesh-eating zombies. Gotcha. :wink: :o

--James
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I love zombie films! Not sure what my favorite is....28 Days Later is definitely a good one. And along those lines, the Omega Man is one of my favorites, too.

J.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My favorite is probably Redneck Zombies. It starts out with a military guy transporting "toxic chemical nuclear waste" and smoking a joint. A barrel of the stuff falls off his Jeep and becomes a still. The town just got a satellite dish, so a bunch of people have re-named themselves after characteris in the Beverly Hillbillies, including one big, bearded guy who insists on being called Ellie Mae. The moonshine from the toxic chemical nuclear still infects the populous. The cover of the tape included the line, "The last half-hour of this movie makes Dawn of the Dead look like Mary Poppins."

Another good one with a sense of humor is Return of the Living Dead. I just love the scenes with all the zombies chanting "Brains! Brains!"

And if we're considering movies with minimal zombie content, my vote would be for Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn. The scene with the re-animated girlfriend, who decomposed very quickly, dancing for Ash has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a movie.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

The original Dawn of the Dead is still closest to my heart. Anything by Romero is good, I only wish he had more support over years and didn't have to fight the whole time just to make a good movie.

There's nothing like seeing a Lucio Fulci zombie movie in a theatre. Shared laughter at an awful flick is a great thing.

There were actually two sequel to Return of the Living Dead running on Sci-Fi recently but I just didn't have the time to catch them. Number 3 was suprisingly good (for a zombie movie) and starred Melinda Clarke, woof.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I prefer "The Ghost Breakers", with Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard, and Willie Best.

Zombies in Cuba. :o Who knew?

Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe