Hi.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Jerry gets my vote for "Upstanding Citizen."
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

.............but shouldn't these young ones be warned about the dangers of WhOA?
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

VullNoid wrote:I want to learn to play by ear. So what I'm going to do is use my mic (hooked up to my computer) and record each note, one by one. For practice, I'll randomly choose one, without looking, and play it. Then I'll attempt to match it on my own. Do it until I think I've done it right, and then look to see. I'm hoping it will help to boost the recognition of different notes.
This is an excellent idea! When you get good at it, try to create held
notes with instrument sounds besides the whistle (a MIDI program like
Cakewalk is good for this), and do the same. This way, you're sure that you are learning the note, and not just the whistle's version of
that note. Mess around with octaves, too (i.e., try playing the set of notes from the first whistle octave, and match them with second
octave notes of the same name using the actual whistle, and
vice-versa).

Shawna wrote:Yea, I meant the third octave. And thanks XD.
Help me out here... what's "XD" mean? (I thought I was hip... :cry:)
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

I think it's basically this:

http://hopi.dtcc.edu/~chade/gfx/XD.jpg
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wynder wrote:I think it's basically this:
http://hopi.dtcc.edu/~chade/gfx/XD.jpg
That's an unsual (to me) smiley.
I guess I've forgotten the ascii smileys now that they get automagically
turned to pictures.
VullNoid

Post by VullNoid »

fearfaoin : Thank you! However, I can't take complete credit for the idea. I know that I read a similar idea somewhere, though I really can't remember how similar it was.

Oh, and XD is basically an emoticon used to convey extreme amusement, laughter. X is supposed to be the eyes squeezed shut because you're so amused. I've use it often in other places, but forums just serious me up for some reason. :P
Stuck on limbo bridge,
Where below me ol' Nick grins,
Then laughs through the chaos of it all,
Gets up off his chair,
Spins a jig to my despair,
He can't wait to count the times where I went wrong.
-Flogging Molly
scheky

Post by scheky »

Ahhh...youth.

Welcome and never hesitate to ask questions. Even surly old men like me are often happy to offer opinions and advice.
AiglosCelt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

scheky wrote:Ahhh...youth.

Welcome and never hesitate to ask questions. Even surly old men like me are often happy to offer opinions and advice.
*laughs at all the "surly old men"*

But all joking, joshing, and viscious insulting aside, It's really great to be a young'un among all of these wise, "finer with age" folks - you can really benefit from their experience XD
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Follow this link, and you'll read about some school children in my village who have gotten their hands on some whistles.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=33025

If you would like 10 of the same kind of C whistles, I'll be happy to send them as a gift. That way, you can offer them to your friends if they're interested. They're pretty nice whistles, and the only reason they exist in the universe is so I can give them away. The upper register is not so shrill on these.

I don't know your age, and I'm not sure at what age you should show your parents this message so they understand the context of where the whistles are coming from. Perhaps others on this board can advise.

Best wishes,
Jerry
I (and many others on these boards) can vouch for Jerry's integrity, both as a whistle tweeking feller and as a good all-round human bean. Go for his offer.

And Welcome!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Shawna

Post by Shawna »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
My idea in offering you 10 of them would be that you could share them with your friends. They do nothing for me sitting in a box on my workshop shelf.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Oh in that case, I'll be glad to take them : D. I know some students in band class and stuff who'll probably want them. THANKS A LOT!
fearfaoin wrote: This is an excellent idea! When you get good at it, try to create held
notes with instrument sounds besides the whistle (a MIDI program like
Cakewalk is good for this), and do the same. This way, you're sure that you are learning the note, and not just the whistle's version of
that note. Mess around with octaves, too (i.e., try playing the set of notes from the first whistle octave, and match them with second
octave notes of the same name using the actual whistle, and
vice-versa).

I don't have speakers D':. But apparently another good way is to listen to recordings and attempt to imitate those. I need to go to the library and borrow some discs sometime.

And yes, that's an emoticon. It's commonly used on other forums I frequent though! Very strange. Were you thinking it was an acronym of some sort? Hehe. I guess it could possibly be "xylophone detonator" or something. Which sounds really ... hip.

XD.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Welcome to the group Shawna!
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
~mughph

Ahjkfregh!

Post by ~mughph »

Wow. I am pleasantly shocked at how many people have replied. I think we need to think up a better name for you, so that when I call you "Shawna" on this, people won't think I'm replying to someone I don't know. 'Cause, like, someone quoted my entire message and said the board was inspirational? AHAHA~ I dunno. I probably wouldn't have said as much to any random person out there. Interesting...

Anyway. I can't remember everything people have said, so maybe I'll try to keep this "short" in some ways... Oh, yeah, I told you I wasn't going to reply until I got my laptop, but here I am. YAY. ><;

I mean... xD AHAHAHA! Xylophone detonator? Like, um.

I should start a thread, too... I think it's sort of funny how the thing up at the top says "Chiff and Fipple Forums Forum." Amusing.

Wow. I think that if we got ten whistles... we would be cool. Everyone would want a whistle! Yang could have one! YAY! And then he would sing and play... and the world would die in a dying way because he sings all the time anyway... oO;

Um... Yay for pre-adult whistle obsession? xP AHAHA... It seems like there are people of all ages on this forum. But I guess that makes sense. I guess it's not as restricted as anime or something, where the ages usually are, like... 10-25? Though there were some old people at Animethon, seniors and stuff. WHICH WAS COOL IN SOME WAYS! Anyway, I dunno. I guess I didn't realize so many people in the world liked whistles. AHAHA.

I wonder why Gordon Proce doesn't sell more of them. Maybe because they are so low-end. >>;

Anyway. I won't say anymore. Photoshop meeee! I want an avataaar, and all the ones I have are anime-related. So I need, liek, an anime picture, and then I can, um... add a tin whistle to the picture or something. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!! ^_^

Whistles will be my downfall... <_>; AGH! Premature WhOA! Save us!

< I reaaally need a signature or something, too... >

PS, Yes. Mr L. really needs to let us knit in class... ><; Then we can make more red hats to give out... with whistles! If they find the animals, LMAO.
StewySmoot

Re: Ahjkfregh!

Post by StewySmoot »

~mughph wrote:Wow. I am pleasantly shocked at how many people have replied. I think we need to think up a better name for you, so that when I call you "Shawna" on this, people won't think I'm replying to someone I don't know. 'Cause, like, someone quoted my entire message and said the board was inspirational? AHAHA~ I dunno. I probably wouldn't have said as much to any random person out there. Interesting...

Anyway. I can't remember everything people have said, so maybe I'll try to keep this "short" in some ways... Oh, yeah, I told you I wasn't going to reply until I got my laptop, but here I am. YAY. ><;

I mean... xD AHAHAHA! Xylophone detonator? Like, um.

I should start a thread, too... I think it's sort of funny how the thing up at the top says "Chiff and Fipple Forums Forum." Amusing.

Wow. I think that if we got ten whistles... we would be cool. Everyone would want a whistle! Yang could have one! YAY! And then he would sing and play... and the world would die in a dying way because he sings all the time anyway... oO;

Um... Yay for pre-adult whistle obsession? xP AHAHA... It seems like there are people of all ages on this forum. But I guess that makes sense. I guess it's not as restricted as anime or something, where the ages usually are, like... 10-25? Though there were some old people at Animethon, seniors and stuff. WHICH WAS COOL IN SOME WAYS! Anyway, I dunno. I guess I didn't realize so many people in the world liked whistles. AHAHA.

I wonder why Gordon Proce doesn't sell more of them. Maybe because they are so low-end. >>;

Anyway. I won't say anymore. Photoshop meeee! I want an avataaar, and all the ones I have are anime-related. So I need, liek, an anime picture, and then I can, um... add a tin whistle to the picture or something. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!! ^_^

Whistles will be my downfall... <_>; AGH! Premature WhOA! Save us!

< I reaaally need a signature or something, too... >

PS, Yes. Mr L. really needs to let us knit in class... ><; Then we can make more red hats to give out... with whistles! If they find the animals, LMAO.
I have been waiting for a reason to post my 666th post. The sacrifices were not in vain....
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Shawna wrote:I guess it could possibly be "xylophone detonator" or something. Which sounds really ... hip.
Well, I first noticed it in ~mughph's Location: line. So, I thought maybe
it was some Canadian province postal code. D'oh. That, or an
abbreviation (not an acronym: acronyms have to be pronounceable
as a word, like NASA). I was thinking more along the lines of
"Xtreme Discourse", which is an accurate assessment of this board.

Very :twisted:, Stewy.