My name is...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hi, my name is Joseph Smith... no, I am not the founder of the Mormon faith, and yes, that is my real name.

I saw the Shawshank Redemption a few years ago, I really liked it. I saw The Green Mile not long after that, I liked it even more. I used to be a huge Spielberg movie fan, now it seems I'm turning to movies written by Stephen King. Is this wrong? Would it be even worse to wish for a Spielberg directed movie of a King novel? Could Stand By Me be that movie? I liked it a lot too ... :D
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: Would it be even worse to wish for a Spielberg directed movie of a King novel? Could Stand By Me be that movie? I liked it a lot too ... :D
I think that was directed by Rob Reiner aka Meathead from All In The Family. Loved that movie.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I've never seen a Star Wars movie. I've not seen a second (nor read a word) of either LOTR or Harry Potter. (I once had a pint under the Tolkien plaque in his old watering hole in St.Giles, Oxford.) Some Harry Potter was on TV a couple of days ago. I thought about it for a few seconds and then chose a documentary on a lost civilization in Turkmenistan. (Where does Harry Potter drink?)

I did like Hitchiker's Guide. I like some Woody Allen although I prefer his early written works to his films. Generally I prefer slightly dark, comic, shows like 'The Office', 'Nighty Night' and 'People Like Us.'

Oh, my name is John.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The name's Walden.

I sat through a VHS copy of Return of the Jedi, or one of those Star Wars films, but I didn't pay attention, and was on the telephone most of the time.

Closest I've come to any of the LOTR trilogy was when I was a librarian's aide in high school and I put them on the shelf, when they were returned. I watched the beginning part of the first movie. I also read the first and last chapters of The Hobbit.

I have not seen or read any of the Harry Potter material.

I generally am not especially fond of fantasy fiction.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

My name is Cynth.

I have never seen Star Wars. I don't like space ships and outer space and robots.

I read the first Harry Potter. It was pretty good. The movie put me to sleep. I bought the second Harry Potter but I never got around to reading it. Have seen no other movies.

I love The Hobbit and the LOTR books. Movies not nearly as good, although Viggo Mortensen makes it so it doesn't really matter.

I must not like Woody Allen very much. I have only seen "Annie Hall". If I hear that "la-di-da, la-di-da" one more time....
I will probably try some of his other movies sometime.

My worst thing is that I am reading "The Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon for the second time in not too many years. It was located in the "Romance" section of the bookstore where I got it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Hi, my name is Charlene.

I don't particularly like Woody Allen.

I do like fantasy/si fi, but prefer the books over the movies.

Liked the first Star Wars movie, second was ok, the rest I haven't really paid much attention to.

Watched the first LOTR, part of the second, haven't seen the third, but like the books much better. But I would like to go to New Zealand and see where the movies were filmed!

Read a couple of Diana Gabaldon's books, they were okay, but they don't show up in my husband's used book store very often (because the people who like her books keep them and don't trade them in), and I'm not about to buy a book when I can read thousands for free. :wink:

Like Harry Potter. We are thinking of seeing this latest one at the IMAX - the flying scenes should be fun!

Liked the original Star Trek but not any of the newer series.

Never really got hooked on Lost in Space.

Liked the original Twilight Zone.

Wish there were variety shows on TV like the old Kraft Music Hall and Ed Sullivan.

Am totally sick of "reality" shows.
Charlene
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

My Name is SImon. I've been a professional Science Fiction Writer. I've never seen any of the Star Trek films, and feel no desire to.

Star trek the TV series has always felt to me like a US military High School run by Hollywood liberals.

I've seen a few--maybe even most--of the original episodes, purely by accident. I've seen a couple of the first spin off series. If there have been more, I neither know nor care.

Star Trek isn't Science Fiction.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

rebl_rn wrote:My name is Beth. I've never seen a Woody Allan movie.
Likewise. (But my name is not Beth.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

My name is Yon Yohnson I come from Visconson.

I watched one of the LOTR movies to humor my youngest daughter. I liked the first Star Wars when it came out because it broke new ground in special effects. Otherwise, meh.

I like Woody Allen movies. "New York Stories" and "Annie Hall" are my favorites.

I would also like a movie of Caputo's "Horn of Africa" and Anne Tyler's "Morgan's Passing" if there were movies of those fine novels.
s1m0n wrote:
Star Trek isn't Science Fiction.
It's "Wagon Train" in space.

What did you write? I'll read it. Do you think David Gerrold will ever finish the Chtorr series? I don't. He dug too deep a hole.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brewerpaul wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote: Would it be even worse to wish for a Spielberg directed movie of a King novel? Could Stand By Me be that movie? I liked it a lot too ... :D
I think that was directed by Rob Reiner aka Meathead from All In The Family. Loved that movie.
Right you are Paul, I knew that. :oops: It is a brilliant movie.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

my name is Mary and for the last 7 years, i'm without a tele :)
Last edited by lixnaw on Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Wombat wrote: Generally I prefer slightly dark, comic, shows like 'The Office', 'Nighty Night' and 'People Like Us.'

Oh, my name is John.
Just thought I'd mention it - the last series of Nighty Night was filmed in and around Bude, my home town, much of it during some lovely early-summer weather we had this year. You get to see snatches of many of my favourite haunts, some of my friends' houses and even some of my friends who were used as extras!

The house in the distance on the left edge of the photo is where most of the filming was done (that's my wife in the pic!)

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Cynth wrote:My worst thing is that I am reading "The Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon for the second time in not too many years. It was located in the "Romance" section of the bookstore where I got it.
Hey, Cynth, I'm in the middle of re-reading "Outlander", too! After reading "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" I just had to go back and start from the beginning.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi My name is David

Sad g*t that I am - I liked Star Trek - all versions, the LOTR films, Star Wars and Woody Allen.

Science fiction and fantasy addict as well - currently working my way through all my Andre Norton(RIP) books, she got me into sci fi as a child - thanks A.N. for giving me a lot of pleasure.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I am John Jacob McMannus-McJames-Kinkaid-Jones...
Zombie films, baby, that's where it's at.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown